• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT Master 6542 - is this a good base for a project?

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Calling all vintage GMT Master experts... How is this version of the 6542? Would this be a good starting point for a project?

http://www.puretime.co/product/vintage-gmt-master-6542-white-dial-blackred-eta2846/

I like the rarity of the white dial, not that the black dial 6542 isn't rare, but there is just something about the white dial that sings to me. :)

I read a thread over on RWG.cc about the 6542 and there is a member over there who created a project using a Turnograph case from Silix. Apparently, the gen was based on the case for the Turnograph. They removed the bezel, added a GMT bezel, and came out with the 6542. Using that notion, he started his case using the rep Turnograph and it worked out well.

I don't have experience modding and I don't own watchsmith tools. Short of taking on a big modding project, would this be a good out of the box starting point? Maybe over time I could improve on it.

What do you guys think? If this isn't a good rep or foundation for one, then I might stick with my original plan to start a 1675 project instead. Thanks fellas!

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
I don't have answers for you but I'm curious about this image on the puretime site. Is that supposed to be a pre-stretched vintage bracelet or are these bracelets spring loaded or something?

ROLEX-2011-01-10-03-14_enl.jpg

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Any thoughts on the watch itself? Either this white dial or the black dial?

GBOAC

29/9/09
Case is wrong, rehaute is wokky as hell, Bakelite bezel is too bright, dial is not the best but would do, hands are way wrong. The small GMT hand is shaped incorrectly and it doesn't have lume.

And honestly, the white dial GMT never really existed. I know some of you will throw up pictures of "gens" but read deeper into that story on your own and you will soon realize the origin of the biggest hoax in Rolex vintage history. Especially when you find out where the original 6542 dial printing templates are...

You could replace the Bakelite with an aluminum bezel and redo the gmt hand and it won't look too bad.

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I needed to hear. :)

Much appreciated. I'll pass on it.

eVojlib

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/11
And honestly, the white dial GMT never really existed.

This is interesting, I always thought the gmt albino's were given to exec's of pan-am or somthing like that. It was more a special edition kinda thing and wasn't available for regular production. I've only seen these in blogs and over at N54 as they are very rare and not somthing you see very often.

I've seen some really nice 6542 case sets, not sure what you wanna put into the build Mendota but its deffinately somthing that parts are available for. Another member over at RG had one of the build by PBdad, it looked like a decent build but of course there were some differences between the gen and rep.

I think you are better sourcing parts for this build, although the cost is going to be the main factor. There is a member who is making the bakelites, however, I havn't seen a final production bezel which he is using lexan to make these.

It would be a cool build, somthing different that not many have done. I myself plan to do a black dial 6542 and a PCG 1675 in the near future.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
I got the white dialed 6542 from PT and haven't done anything with it- yes the rehaut is too wokky, the GMT hand is 'decorative' because it's incorrectly geared and the yellow markers are too yellow. The bracelet was ok, but I put on a dk brown croc strap
P1010135.jpg

But it was only $223 as I recall, so I'm not complaining. I just haven't figured out what to do with it!

GBOAC

29/9/09
Yeah, the story is that the white dial was given to execs at panam and there is a letter from panam explaining the origin to backup the story. The letter was debunked by the son of the panam exec who supposedly wrote it.

It's not not entirely far fetched because the next biggest scam was the supposed Tudor US Navy double lug "prototypes" which sold at antiquorum for a lot of money. A very ambiguous letter from Rolex accompanied the lot which neither confirmed not denied the authenticity. This was enough for the rabid bidders and many francs changed hands and a fake fantasy Rolex changed hands. The fake was finally discovered to have been made in Asia by a watch enthusiast who happened to be an artist. He made the case and endlinks in his metal shop and cobbled together the rest. Many have been made and a few come up from time to time. Some branded Rolex, others as Tudor. It looks like the unholy spawn of a submariner and the original Trieste seadweller prototype, run over by a truck and viewed after a fifth of tequila. Needless to say its ugly.

So if all that can happen, the white dial 6542 being a fake printed with Rolex dies and printing techniques is entirely possible and almost certainly the case.

anonymus

Known Member
18/5/12

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
I saved the link somewhere for this - there is a guy over on a different board who is producing his own inserts. He got so fed up with poor quality reps and lack of gens that he realized the only way to do it right was to make his own. He will make any color combo for you. He also reproduces the effect of patinated and diminished lume grains. They do in fact glow, too. Very cool.

The more I look at it I think the black dial would be the way to go. I wish there were more examples in the wild of builds that people had successfully made so we could get inspiration.