• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Broken stem on my Top Gun... AGAIN

clkgtr37

Known Member
14/7/10
Yet again the crown won't screw in on my Top Gun after only a handful of unscrewing (bought winders just for this watch). Anyone know of someone in the US that fixes these yet? Probably just buy a new one at this point...View attachment 4480

ntyt

Horology Curious
11/4/12
Same thing just happened to mine and there's a gen crown on it. is there anyone in the US willing to fix it?? I'd pay whatever it takes.

thehorse

Renowned Member
25/4/06
Asia
I have the same problem with my v2. What is the fix here, is it a new tube or do I need to buy a new crown?

My watch smith is asking me to buy a new crown but I don't think that is the answer.

Alternatively if someone can point me in the right direction to someone else wo can help in sunny Ingapore, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Kutio

20/10/10
I hate it when that happens. I sold my first TG which had this problem.

When it got re-released with re-lume, I purchase it again, and within a month the same thing happened.

Texski use to fix these up by putting in gen crown stem, and tube. He'll drill into the ceramic case to fit the tube etc and fix the entire problem. Cost was not overbudget since it's only crown/tube/stem. A real patient guy when it comes to IWC. Don't see him around much now on the forums.

IMO this is the only way to go.

I've since lost the TG in stupid postage theft else I'll snap a pick. The TG was just not destined for me.

rangers158

Known Member
12/4/06
Mine got stripped too after a while. I think it might be the crown since it is made of titanium. The tube is steel and being the stronger metal is likely to chew up the crown threads. In the end I cut the stem short and forego the screw down function.

Kutio

20/10/10
It's because the rep tube is too long hense when you screw in the crown only the few tip of the screw gets screwed in, so it gets a lot more wear than usual. If you cut the tube down straight away then it will ok.

thehorse

Renowned Member
25/4/06
Asia
So if I understand correctly, there is no need to buy a new crown. I need to get a new tube to replace the old one, preferably a gen tube. Is this correct?

Any links to where I can buy the gen tube?

Thanks

Kutio

20/10/10
Based on my own test and trial and Mike (Texski) service he did for me. This is my expereience

The Rep Tub is too long which causes the screws is the tube to strip. The screws on the crown seem to be ok.
To avoide it happening you can take out the rep tube and sand it down. It is very tricky mod. But there is no fix once it's been stripped.

Alternatively change both tube and crown to gen. The rep tube is not a straight screw in with gen crown and vise versa. If this is the option you will need to drill a bigger hole in the ceramic case to fit the gen tube. Yet again not an easy fix!

qsb5

Known Member
3/8/11
I take it this problem is common on both the V1 and V2 top guns? Or is it just the v2?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kutio

20/10/10
I haven't heard of it yet with Doppler. So assuming its ok.