• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The mythical PAM-strap #74 ?!?

shellshock

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/5/12
hey,
I know it must have been answered here somewhere....
But I have not been able to find anything on the search..... I have tried!!
(Thats why its posted in Flamefree....hehe)

Does anybody know the story behind that Panerai strap #74 ??
I know its in the Panerai catalouge. I know about the frogmen and the pig.
But even with google I couldnt find a reliable answer to the question....
What does that number mean?
The strap is so popular, so many strapmakers (Gunny and at least 5 others) produce remakes/homages and they sell like hotcakes.....

So.... whats up with #74?

PLEASE elaborate!

The suspense is killing me!!

joegrimm

I'm Pretty Popular
27/10/10
Gunny74-2.jpg

ogladio

Known Member
8/7/11
Well if you look at vintage Panerai pictures, you'll also find straps with all kinds of numbers printed. When looking at casebacks, same thing with various matriculation numbers. Wouldn't military heritage plus the "catalogue hype" explain it?

shellshock

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/5/12
Well if you look at vintage Panerai pictures, you'll also find straps with all kinds of numbers printed. When looking at casebacks, same thing with various matriculation numbers. Wouldn't military heritage plus the "catalogue hype" explain it?

Don't know about all kinds of numbers...?
I found the #74 do be very dominant and extremly popular among Paneristi.

"Catalogue hype"?
So... you say its just some kind of PR stunt and an army of worshipping fanboys??
That's such a disapointment!:cry::cry::cry:
I hoped for an EPIC explanation...
Like a story about an epic warhero #74.
Or a conspiracy theory, or numeral voodoo magic!

If this proves to be the whole story behind that magical #74, I will have to inform my strapmaker.
I still stick with the rugged "historical" style and color, but I'd rather opt for an individual number... like #69 or #420... :maty:

ogladio

Known Member
8/7/11
Sorry, there's surely an epic story somewhere to be dug out! Let's hope that's what Volker and the guys at Risti are doing... :maty:

Re numbers, why not go for one of these?

387585.jpg

paneraiflashlight.jpg

387600.jpg

387611.jpg

Pyer

Renowned Member
9/10/10
What i found on watchuseek about that strap :

If you have a look through the Panerai Catalogue, the larger one, you will see a photo of a vintage 8-day Angelus Panerai wearing a Vintage strap with "74" marked on it, in the same position as on the Gunny reproduction. In the 2011 large catalogue you will see it on page 17.

Some "legends" going around of the numbers origin suggested that it was likely a number matching/given to one of the operative Black Seals who wore the watch during underwater SLC (Pig SUB) missions. This was the first theory I heard about the number 74.

Later another story I heard, which although less heroic I tend to believe is the correct history of this number, was that the Panerai Museum in Florence marked a number on that very watch you see photographed in the Panerai Cat. as a means for the museum to catalogue reference that particular exhibit. While it sounds somewhat strange to say the least that a museum would place a mark on the actual piece being exhibited, you have to remember we are taking about Italians here! So anything's possible.
laughing.gif

Apparently there is another watch exhibited with a number forty something as well, which is marked on the watch strap and is also referenced by some strap makers on their reproductions. (possibly No. 41 as imprinted onto the S.M.Z. strap by Wotancraft)

I actually have a photo somewhere of the original "No.74" vintage watch in question, on distplay in the Florentine Museum. I'll try to dig it up and attach it to this post.

roger

FWIW
icon_sad.gif
I like the first scenario more than the later!

Vintage Panerai catalogue No.74 'Museo di Firenze'
722068d1338278574-whats-history-74-strap-panerai-vintage-74-museo-di-firenze.jpg

regards ,

Pyer