• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question about GUNNY Straps.

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10
Having debated where to pose this question, I'll ask it here because there's a definitive Strap List (if there is such a thing) already posted. My question is more about aesthetics and taste regarding PAM Straps and more specifically with PETER GUNNY STRAPS (which isn't on the list).

There are some amazing high-end leather craftsmen (and women) out there. I use a Mario Paci strap on my 111H and am thinking seriously of a Gunny Strap for a Noob Factory 127 Fiddy which is on it's way. But they're rough-around-the-edges. They're a little bit like an old baseball mitt. What's the attraction? What draws people to Peter Gunny's work? What is it about Gunny Straps that makes them so compatible with Panerai? If you own a Gunny Strap, I'm just curious to know why you like it?

It's all a matter of taste but I'm curious about this one brand. I'm grateful to anyone willing to offer their thoughts.

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Vintage is still popular, that's all. Pam straps are sort've like jeans, no one seems to want stiff, brand new looking ones. It won't always be this way, as a matter of fact things are trending towards thin and classy.

If you don't want rough/vintage then don't get it. Your strap will eventually have patina anyway, why rush it if you don't love it. Peter should be able to do something for you that is sharp and not beat up. His popularity is due to word of mouth, he's been around and has a lot of satisfied customers. There are a lot of super talented strap makers out there, don't be afraid to venture out of the norm.

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10
BAM! That's how it's done.

Ladies and gentlemen, that's an amazing answer. May I please have a sample of your brain tissue? It makes perfect sense, Gunny products look like a well-worn pair of jeans. You like the look or you don't, and I'm kind of liking it a lot right now. Thanks so much!

faberjay111

I'm Pretty Popular
16/5/12
I just placed an order for his Caitlin 2....specifically because it looks like it is 10 years old! I also ordered a Deep Red for my gen GMT II....and I can hardly wait for them!

Personally, even though I am new to the rep world, I am not new to the world of artistry and craftsmanship. It is obvious that Peter not only possesses both, but that he has such a passion for excellence.

And he seems like such a nice guy!!

In my humble and newbie opinion...you can't go wrong with a Gunny!

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Gunnys straps are buttery soft. That's why I like them. They are my favorite for that reason. They also have a broke in and worn look and feel that's takes literally years to get from most new straps made from thick leather that are hard and shiny.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I have had two of his straps. His communication was excellent and the straps' quality superb.

Sent from my phone via the Interwebz.

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
I have three Gunnys, one of which was a special amalgamating of three different ones for a B&R vintage I created. I wanted the style of one, the leather from another, and the cut from a third. The result is fabulous. I love his stuff for its 'vintage' feel, for the superb leathers he uses, and for the equally superb craftsmanship. Really soft and comfortable. His straps look 'well loved' right out of the box--but look like they were very expensive when they were new. They just have a certain 'air'. Will I buy from him again? Absolutely--but I like that 'well worn jeans' sensibility. He is frantically busy and so don't expect immediate turn-around--though I notice from his blog that he has a number of off-the-shelf examples. great communication, too!

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10
The Catlin 2 series is really beautiful. I'm sold. I'm going to contact him as this is really how I've wanted to represent my watches for some time. And really, even in a suit, the Gunny Strap looks like it will work.

seamaster4

Horology Curious
26/2/12
I have 4 Gunny straps and love each one. Peter is a gem to work with and will make the strap exactly how you want it.

Tubbs

Known Member
2/4/09
I have a Caitlin II, I love it, the only thing I would say is that 1st week or two it is quite stff and very hard to put on correct hole and indeed take off, I pulled min far too tight, this strap at lug does not have any kind of tubing and mine has wore very thin indeed, my fault for forcing on and off tightly!

Another thing I noticed is that it has gone from a tight 24mm to showing 2/3mm of the bar at the top, looking more like a 21/22mm strap width.

But all the same a lovely strap, go for the thick one 6/7mm!!!..........you wont be disappointed!!

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10
"You just gotta feel one in person to fully appreciate them. So soft.

Gunny straps are amazing. I have 6 of them. The Caitlin II is a great choice but everyone needs a Chocolate Fudge!"

(Sees links, head explodes. Must lie down. Best show-and-tell version of an answer ever received in this forum. Ok gentlemen, time to follow suit: get your partners undressed and lets see the watches).

To all those that have responded, thank you. I believe I understand now. Gunny Straps are soft and wonderful, like women's breasts.

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
I've just ordered a "Dark Oil" from Peter for my 390.

tranzmizzion

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/12
Tell him, and pay for trackable shipping,. I ordered a strap from him and he sent it, the not knowing where it is is killing me along with the time frame in transit.

He's a great guy to deal with.

notsobreit

16/9/10
like crossbones said - everyone needs a FUDGE
its sooo diverse
looks good on my 250, 029, 111, 359 - I like having a perfect strap for a specific watch and dont like mixing up around too much - but I cant decide which this strap works better with...
its a MUST HAVE...

203web.png

vac359onfudge.jpg

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Ladies and gentlemen, that's an amazing answer. May I please have a sample of your brain tissue?!

Well,l I was hoping you'd rather sample one of my straps, but I digress... :facepalm: :lol:

crossbones

I'm Pretty Popular
3/6/10
The Chocolate Fudge looks GREAT on every watch I own. I wear it on my Chopard GTXL, Navi World as well as my PAMs.

I was talking to Jake via PM about how good the Chocolate Fudge looks on PVD PAMs and promissed to post a pic so here you go bud...

c6ca3828.jpg

ca02dbe0.jpg

58af80c1.jpg

Can't wait to see pics of yours as soon as its mounted.

PS, I strongly suggest upgrading your shipping when ordering from Peter as the wait can be hell if you don't.

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
I know this is the Pam section, but Gunny does Rolex too! Here's his "deep red" on my TC sub. It's gorgeous, but I'm gonna have to get rid of this strap along with my new ultimate sea dweller as I've recently spent way too much damn money and one modern rolex on a bracelet is all I really need.

bLGRj.jpg

CI6ea.jpg

wzpsf.jpg

aSHH5.jpg

psychospike

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
5/4/12
Peter is a great person to work with ..just ordered from him the 74 serie for my long awaited Helson Bronze Sharkdiver .....Cant wait for the straps to arrive nxt mth ...