• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP ROO Versions

LemmyCaution

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/3/08
Has anyone compiled an ROO version Comparison? I looked and didn't find one.
I've had 2 MBW secs at 9 ROOs - still the best case/dial color and texture but I could not deal with the seconds at 9 thing and sold them.

I now have what I think is a v1 secs@12 Safari (totally wrong dial color)
a v2? Safari with the cream dial and flat white subdials
a v? Black Themes
and a v? Silver Themes
What I'm calling

The Safari is a 12-18 months old - the Black Themes and the Silver Themes, approximately 2.5yrs.

So, what changes have there been? When and by whom?
I'm paring things down a bit and will send the Safari and Black Themes off for Service and Lume for the BT - If there are significant changes in the Safari, I might buy another.

vpx

Renowned Member
2/11/10
Just buy a new one from a TD, almost all the models got updated with AR'd cyclops and updated date wheel.

marblegranite

28/2/12
I read somewhere that the latest version of the Safari dial also has the silver lining around the numbers like the gen.

TastyTreats

Put Some Respect On My Name
21/5/12
Never Land
I have been speaking to TD's and I am told that AP Seconds @ 12 is now up to V5. I have an AP V2 and is 12 months old - unsure of when it actually came out.
If it has new cyclops and date wheel I believe its V5. There were some small V changes including dial color, size and markings. Best to email TD direct.

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
Yes, the models have changed. As for the safari, updated datewheel, ar'ed cyclopse, better dial colours and silver borders around the numerals.

If you order one, explicitly ask for that version with these upgrades.

brbryfan

Horology Curious
27/3/10
I have an older model of the Safari and it was the new rep's silver borders around the numbers that pushed me to upgrade. New model looks great. I'll post some pics when it arrives (with gen hornback!)

Lemmy: In my opinion, the changes are significant enough to upgrade rather than service your Safari.

Here are sample QC pics provided on Andrew's site (Trusty Time): http://imgur.com/a/IqaeA

LemmyCaution

17/3/08
Thanks for all the replies - I guess I have:
Silver Themes v2
Black Themes v2
Safari v1 and v2

Time to order a v5 Safari - I just wish the TDs would get the subdial texture and datewindow placement. Dial Color may be off too -

Thanks for all the responses.

I have been speaking to TD's and I am told that AP Seconds @ 12 is now up to V5. I have an AP V2 and is 12 months old - unsure of when it actually came out.
If it has new cyclops and date wheel I believe its V5. There were some small V changes including dial color, size and markings. Best to email TD direct.

Thanks - do you have any idea of the changes to each version? It would make for a good 'Sticky'.

Francis at PT said that the movement also has an extra jewel for the additional wheel on the transfer plate. (If I understood correctly). This is a big deal to me I have 3 'quirkly' secs@5. Do I pay to service them? Or buy new versions and sell the old ones @ <$200?

Only I can answer that.

brbryfan

Horology Curious
27/3/10
Finally got the new Safari! Here's some pics:

ap3.jpg

Old version on left, new version on right:

ap2.jpg

And the strap bar casualty when installing the OEM hornback :lolcina:

ap1.jpg

bobbyrutgers

23/5/12
ouch, it seems those strap bars keep getting bent for a lot of people. makes sense to have a spare around since i plan on changing my band every now and then from leather-to-rubber-bracelet- and back again.

nice pics brbryfan