• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

when is a pearl not a pearl

jackteet

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/12/11
Hi, I am hoping to acquire a seamaster 300 soon. I have read with interest the many threads concerning replacing the pearl.It is at this point that this thread goes down hill so please forgive me. Is it not possible to purchase a very cheap string of pearls and to use the very smallest one and glue it in the bezel.
If my question is ridiculous I am sorry and put it down to old age and lack of knowledge. Thanks Jack.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Bezel pearls are not actual pearls, they usually are metal cups filled with lume and covered by a piece of glass or sapphire (at least on gen watches).

sanankid

I'm Pretty Popular
18/6/11
lol wiz i cant believe you answered this with a straight face. rofl...but yes it is not an actual pearl they just call it that because of the resemblance.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
It's always bettre to ask, there is no dumb question. :)

jackteet

3/12/11
when is a pearl not a pearl.

Thanks for the clarification guys.How foolish of me I had not realised that there are people on this forum who clearly know everything.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
It's always bettre to ask, there is no dumb question. :)

He who asks a question looks like a fool for 5 minutes.
He who remains silent remains a fool for life.

---

+10,000, the only dumb question is indeed the one not asked.

Thanks for the clarification guys.How foolish of me I had not realised that there are people on this forum who clearly know everything.

Oh I very much doubt there is anyone here who knows everything (well, maybe fakey :) ) but there are those who indeed know a hell of a lot.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09

I clearly remember when I first joined, of having the feeling that everyone else but me knew what the others were talking about, but I then realized a lot of people don't dare to ask, so you can be pretty sure you asking will help a lot of other members. :)

Here is an example of how a gen Rolex pearl is made:

10295494.jpg

On rep Rolex watches you can find a plastic or glass lense instead of the sapphire one. In some other cases the lens is replaced by a clear coating like epoxy or varnish.

On other watches with pearls like Omega or Bretiling, the "cup" containing the lume is usually deeper and has a flat piece of sapphire on top, instead of the curved piece you find on a Rolex.

Replica Omega or Breitling watches usually come with a piece of glass or plastic instead of sapphire. Epoxy or varnish coatings are less likely to be found.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
When I first joined RWI I did not know anything about watches.

Three years later, after reading thousands of informative posts written by conscientious, knowledgeable folks, well...

...I still know absoulutely nothing. But you guys tried your best to make me more smarter, so I thank you for that!

:lol:

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest

I only know just enough to be dangerous.

Now which color wire is soldered to the case, and what color am I supposed to use after I drill through the crystal/plexi to complete the circuit when.....

:confused:

Sent from the W.C.

jackteet

3/12/11
Hi Guys, Thank you very much for your helpful replies. It is such a shame that one person found the need to make a negative remark. If in doubt ask, it costs nothing
and I for one am not to proud to admit that I know very little about this wonderful hobby of ours.