• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swiss or Asian ETA????

justlounging

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/10
Hi all,

When you purchase a Swiss ETA from our TDs, have you ever got an actual Swiss or just an Asian clone ETA/ Swiss with asian parts(i.e franken swiss eta) movement?

What is the likelihood you will actually get a genuine swiss eta 2836-2?

Your comments pls..

Thanks!

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
Slim to none..in all honesty..It is pretty much across the board that veterans say, just buy the clone because of the issues mentioned. I for one do that and I source out genuine ETA movements for upgrades and future builds. The great thing about the clone is, in most cases, its fully serviceable, will take ETA hands and such and a damn good movement. Here is another choice and I think this is just over the hill as THE Swiss movement to be, the Sellita. It is pretty much a clone of the ETA movements, made in Switzerland, fits most all our reps and IS SWISS MADE, fully serviceable etc.
Thats my .02

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
So far i have seen a few thread and some of them comment that maybe they will most likely give you a asian clone (and say its swiss cus it can't really tell the difference between the two of them unless you bring it to a watch smith and tell them to verify), or a old version, a spoil one(recon)...

But even me myself still deciding wether a not to choose the sw200 movement for UPO... Cus i plan to buy one UPO soon...

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
There are clones of selitas

And if you want one anyway, get sw200-1 not sw200

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
Is it? I didn't knew thats a clone of sellita too... I always thoughts that clone of ETA though...

goonx

Known Member
18/4/12
The concensus at the present time is that your best bet is to get an Asian movement and then source your own Swiss movement from a trusted watch smith for swapping. Most ETA that come with reps are either old or clones.

ETA movements aren't "gem-rare" but the chances of you getting a new ETA from a replica is very slim.