• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the Clear Coating Over the Pearl Made of?

tc670207

Known Member
14/11/11
Experts chim in PLS!

What is the Clear Coating Over the Pearl Made of? The one Pearl that is on classic Submariner bezel insert.

My Chinese friend told me that clear coating is made of a tiny chunk of sapphire crystal. Some on other forums said it's epoxy. My Swiss friend said it's RC Tritec UV820 - a sort of better form epoxy. Which one is true?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I believe it should be sapphire crystal, it certainly is on the new ceramic subs.

joegrimm

I'm Pretty Popular
27/10/10
I believe it should be sapphire crystal, it certainly is on the new ceramic subs.

yup, tiny piece of domed sapphire crystal. You can see this is evedent especially in older tritium pearls where the tritium has cracked but the cover is still intact. If it was any sort of epoxy or other binder then the whole thing would crack not just the lume inside.

stl026

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/8/09
Definitely sapphire. In some of the official documentation you can see the full blueprint for how it's constructed. It appears, via Rolex, that the only difference between the ceramic and regular pearl is the extra metal holder on the ceramic models.

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
Some of the very early subs 5513/1680 had a hard acrylic though....correct me if im wrong here. This is based soley on some old stock rolex parts ive seen for sale.

tc670207

Known Member
14/11/11
C'mon guys are you 100% sure of it?

I got an answer from a crystal factory last night they say the kind of sapphire crystal would be very very hard and expansive to make.

I mean, c'mon do the math, a replacement insert from RSC is only $35 to $50 depends on which one you go. That kind of sapphire dome would set you back for over $70 it doesn't even add up.

My Swiss friend says it's for sure UV820 or she'll let me do whatever I want with her.

Man, chim in here! This is the last mile for me on this insert mini project.

Thx!

Definitely sapphire. In some of the official documentation you can see the full blueprint for how it's constructed. It appears, via Rolex, that the only difference between the ceramic and regular pearl is the extra metal holder on the ceramic models.

Care to share a link?

Thx!

andries

Known Member
3/1/11
Not big expert here, but technically it will be very hard (and therefore expensive) to produce such a small sapphire crystal with such a large curvature. I would say it is epoxy or acrylic, but that's just my logical statement and not the actual knowledge.

tc670207

Known Member
14/11/11
Not big expert here, but technically it will be very hard (and therefore expensive) to produce such a small sapphire crystal with such a large curvature. I would say it is epoxy or acrylic, but that's just my logical statement and not the actual knowledge.

That's my point!

Well, according to my friend, basically their marketing department put a retail price 10 times the exact manufacturing cost is. So, let's say if a insert is $50 at RSC, the manufacturing cost is around at $5 each and Rolex makes 80 thousands of them a month. Which sound quite right to me from what I hear from my Chinese friend.

I sort of can prove this formula as a replacement Sub dial at RSC is $410, that puts the manufacturing cost of the dial alone to be $41, which makes perfect sense to me. I'll explain it later in my "Tour to the dial & hands factory".

So my point is, how could it be sapphire dome if the true manufacturing cost is only $5 a piece?

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
TC
the watchmaterial pearl has a sapphire cover and they sell for $10 a piece so they must not be that bad to manufacture in mass

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
I'm not expert and I don't know the in's and out's of the rep (or gen) Factories but the pearl covering on a gen insert is a little sapphire dome. My source of that info has whatever it takes to test and confirm that. According to him, he has, And it's sapphire.
Rep inserts...I have no idea but whatever guys like rsh do to them they can make them look pretty darn convincing :)

tc670207

Known Member
14/11/11
Ok, guys. If it is sapphire on gen pearl, how does it attached to the SS ring?

tc670207

Known Member
14/11/11
Thanks RSH! That's exactly why I have doubt gen is sapphire. On a gen pearl you can tell and even feel with your fingers the dome covers over the SS ring.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I just looked at a gen pearl under strong magnification and if I had to guess I'd say it's glued. UV glue would be perferct for the job, it's clear, strong, and compatible with lume.

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
Does anyone know the quality of the wholesaleoutlet990 insert? They advertise it as having a sapphire pearl ($12/each):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-BEZEL-INSERT-FOR-ROLEX-WATCH-SUBMARINER-BLACK-16610-/310304840780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483f9c1c4c

it does not mention a sapphire pearl, does it ? they mention sapphire crystal referring to subs with sapphire crystal (later models) versus earlier with plastic or whatever crystal

"is made for Rolex Submariner with sapphire crystal for 16800"

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
They sort of say it's made like a gen. Honestly, I'm not sure if they are saying that their insert is made from "higher quality plastic" or their competitor's products are made from that.

"These inserts are made like the original and are better quality compared to other sellers' on eBay made with higher quality plastic (acrylic) pearl."