• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Win XP vs Win 7

newbie2replicas

20/12/09
I'm running Win7 on an old Dell laptop with 1GB RAM (which is the max it can take). It's very sluggish when I try to run Word, Excel and browse the net, and comes close to crashing a fair bit.

I really cannot spend money on a new PC at the moment, so I was wondering if people thought it might make sense for me to do a clean reinstall of WinXP which is less resource-hungry?

Could really do with some advice... Many thanks!

Lelouch

I'm Pretty Popular
18/8/11
That's a good idea. Windows 7 requires much more processing than windows XP

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Windows xp or ram upgrade...

cwazy1

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/2/12
I agree with the above, try your hand at xp.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I think we need a tech section in the lounge....... :thinking:

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
Hackintosh!!! Lol.. Try XP... But theres a drawback which is the Internet Explorer. IE8 is the last internet explorer for xp. And for some website as far as i can work out can't work on IE8, they will tell you to update your browser.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Who uses Internet Explorer?

I was wondering the same thing few months ago, and believe me they are a loooot!
The question though is why?

Sent from X=0,Y=0,Z=0

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
IE is quite good though.. But not as good as Safari.. Im using a mac i love safari. cus its fast and if you watch WWDC you will see Safari has the highest benchmark score so its very fast...

jd01449

I'm Pretty Popular
20/2/12
WIN7 is very resource hungry for such a machine. Downgrade to XP.

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Absolutely switch to XP, that is probably what the laptop was originally designed for. As far as IE, there are much better options for browsing on an XP based laptop.

zhukovskii

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/3/09
Go with XP. After installation switch off as many services as possible, check for autorun programs. Keep it as light as possible. As for ms office, older version like 2003 are less recourse thirsty.

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Desire met Tapatalk

geo1nah2a

Known Member
29/9/06
Win XP with removed services is the answer to your question. There is a unofficial lite version you might be able to find.

What version of excel are you using? 2003?

ps why no love for Ubuntu?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
What the processor? If it is centrino or duo core or core 2 duo then try hackintosh. Hackintosh is quite good.. If you have any question regarding about hackintosh you can ask me cus I'm good in this sort of this...:)

geo1nah2a

Known Member
29/9/06
Hackintosh is cool but excel for Mac is not!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

mpg54

Known Member
29/8/09
I have a MacBook Pro issued by my Company that I run Windows 7 on. I used he Mac BootCamp to dual-boot it but I accidentally over-wrote the Lion OS which I didn't really care for anyway. Windows 7 runs like a Champ on it and I could not be happier about it. The MacBook hardware is much nicer than Dell's latest cheap/crap Laptop hardware. Dell really needs to look at what Apple is producing and shape up. When you install the Bootcamp Windows 7 files it re-maps the Keyboard to Windows like Keys. I love the MacBook keyboard and Mousepad, it was definitely a good decision to stay away from Dell till they get their act together...

Oh, and I'm a Firefox user, love the Sync feature so I can download my preferences and bookmarks on any Computer I'm using.

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
Yes i have to agree excel for mac is not cool.. even iWork too.. the other day i was having problem saving a file for my project and i cant figure it out..

Ps. I own a couple of mac.. Including those old type..

newbie2replicas

20/12/09
I wish I could hackintosh my Dell Inspiron 2200! I just don't understand all that kexts stuff! :)

Anyone in London that could Mac-up my machine?