• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

One Last Time: Rolex Sub from iOffer.com

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

Hi, gang!

Well, here's my last "study" for a while based upon previous posts regarding iOffer.com. As you may know, when you see a watch (or something else) on the site,you like, you place a bid; then, the seller either accepts it or rejects it, where then you make a counter offer. This is a no date Rolex Submariner (uh, whose model number I knew just a few minutes ago but now don't). Selling for $89, I eventually negotiated a $75 bid. Package took about 10 days or so to reach NEPA. Came with a Rolex box, hang tag, and "certificate." All in all, it's not too bad; the major problems it has are with the lume on the dial: a lot of it is cracked or chipped; probably will need a reluming, which I'll investigate later. Now, some general pics: dave:

IOfferNoDate001.jpg

IOfferNoDate002.jpg

IOfferNoDate003.jpg

IOfferNoDate004.jpg

IOfferNoDate005.jpg

IOfferNoDate006.jpg

IOfferNoDate007.jpg

IOfferNoDate008.jpg

On the bezel and case, the bezel seems ok, but in MHO, have some problems: (1). "bar" markers @ 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 don't seem to extend edge to edge; (2). the "3" in "30" seems a little crooked. (3). I'm not too certain about the pearl: to me, it seems balanced and the pearl itself seems to be a little recessed into its base (I think that's good). (4). the "4" in "40" doesn't appear to be as sharp and pointed as those on better reps and the gens. On the other hand, the "10" seems to be balanced. I'm not an "expert" on crown guards, so what do you think? The coronet on the crown doesn't seem to be stamped too sharply. Dial printing is a little off: the "Oyster Perpetual Date" line seems too close to the "Rolex" name; and at the bottom, only "Swiss" appears; not "Swiss made." It DOES have the etched crown @ 6. Here are some pics:

Sorry for some of the blurries.
IOfferNoDate009.jpg

IOfferNoDate012.jpg

IOfferNoDate013.jpg

IOfferNoDate024.jpg

The caseback is interesting: aside from the usual hologram Rolex sticker, there's engraving on the sides as well, VERY unRolex: "Stainless Steel" and "Water Proof," along with coronets at opposite ends:

IOfferNoDate014.jpg

IOfferNoDate015.jpg

IOfferNoDate023.jpg

The heart of the watch is its A21j movement. To me, it's your basic workhorse movement that winds very smoothly and quietly. The seconds hand has the standard jerky sweep, but it's not too bad. Some movement pics:

IOfferNoDate018.jpg

IOfferNoDate019.jpg

IOfferNoDate020.jpg

IOfferNoDate021.jpg

...and a sterile interior of the caseback:

IOfferNoDate022.jpg

Overall, the case (and bracelet) are decent; bracelet itself doesn't seem to have any sharp edges (after running my fingers along both sides of the bracelet; flip lock is your standard type -- light but functional; the flip clasp snaps shut smartly with a "click." Together, case and bracelet weigh in at 123.4 grams. THE "certificate" enclosed with the watch is printed in French and has a poorly executed offical seal (which is sterile):

IOfferNoDate030.jpg

IOfferNoDate031.jpg

Except for the lume problems and the engraving on the back, overall, it's a decent watch & looks acceptable. Its time keeping ability needs adjustment so I'll be fiddling with that over the next several days. The Rolex box itself is standard rep boxes -- hard cardboard, I think. Hang tag is rep w/ no hologram on one side. Here are some pics of the above, along with a few wristies:

Again, sorry for the blurries.
IOfferNoDate032.jpg

IOfferNoDate033.jpg

Noobmariner002-1.jpg

Noobmariner003-1.jpg

Noobmariner004-1.jpg

Noobmariner005-1.jpg

IOfferNoDate028.jpg

IOfferNoDate029.jpg

That's about it for my "experimenting" with off-RWI-site dealers, etc. I have some obligations to some of our Trusteds that I want to fulfill. I hope you found this helpful; comments and critiques are, of course, welcomed.

dave (again)

iori_del

15/4/12
I am sry to say tat money is badly spent. U can get the same a21j from our dealer at cheaper price and at the correct dial. Nevertheless most imply must love it

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
There's not many dealers you can watch + box for $75. Is is a good deal, sure, is it an amazing watch, it's ok, but for $75 i think you did ok mate.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Not with a box you can't. For a "fun" beater or a joke gift it's an OK price.

WatchnScotch

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/12/10
The box really made this not too terrible! I would say it wasn't too bad of a our chase Dave and I have really enjoyed seeing all of your experiments!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ssb045

Renowned Member
26/12/10
14060? Have you removed the bracelet? Curious to see what serial number it sports

D

d4m.test

Thanks to all, esp. Bonesey, TB and Naylor, for the feedback; @ ssb045: No, I haven't taken the bracelet off yet. I'll try, although those suckers usually give me a hard time. Let you know what I find.

dave

D

d4m.test

Hi, Gang!

(1). I DON'T KNOW how some pics of the 16610 (w/date) got in there. Geeze!! (2). ssb: I took off the bracelet and looked between the lugs: nothing. After reading an excellent clip from another mate in "General Discussion," I think this is a 5513, or a 14060 (w/ automatic movement). Just sayin'.

dave