• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

6538 Military issue.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
This is the second build I've done along these lines. With some adaptations for the customer, who has given me permission to post these pictures up here.

Silix 6538 base watch
Athaya 8mm Brevet crown / tube combo
Sternkreutz HW plexi
W@tchlume Gmax re-lume
Military caseback

HZib3.jpg

mz8Zl.jpg

2r32j.jpg

kEy6F.jpg

P3CZE.jpg

37ARX.jpg

pPlVA.jpg

Ymxct.jpg

EqEBM.jpg

pg2UN.jpg

Upon discussion with the person buying this watch it was decided that the lume on the dial needed more patina, so the watch was de-cased and the dial and hands re-done to specification.

C8pUy.jpg

I also re-completed a watch that I had sold a while ago. Replaced the 21j movement that came with the watch. One of the screws that hold the movement tabs in place had sheared off in the movement along with it keeping erratic time. I also changed out the red seconds hand for a fresh lumed and aged white seconds hand.

1LkIB.jpg

5up3rman

Renowned Member
4/12/10
Very nice work mate on that.
I love those rivet bracelts (i think thats what they're called).

where can i pick one up?

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
Love it Bones! I really like the aged white second hand on the second one too. Very nice job bro!!!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Nice work mate!
And a model you don't see every day as well.

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Good work bonesey. Lucky owner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Head over to homageforum.com to athaya section. Has his full offerings there. Or just email him directly. Prepare to wait a week or more, he's really busy.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

boru

Looking Around
23/8/10
Paying Silix

How did you get silix paid? money order? Western union? Please let me know

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Just with PayPal. I don't order through the site. I contact Michelle directly.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Things I don't get:

~Splattered effect on the dial and handset
~Polish/scuffing on the crown side of the watch

After doing some research before posting this, I did find these...

Still don't care for it myself.

I do like this natural "camouflage" version though!

borse048.jpg

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Looks fantastic! Great work. The 6538 is really growing on me. I especially like that red triangle.

My ideal vintage watchbox will have a 1680 red sub, 6538, 1675, 5513, 1655, and a 6542 bakelite bezel GMT. So far I only have the 1680 red sub... i have a lot of catching up to do!

woof*

Renowned Member
25/12/10
Just spotted this thread Bonsey
That crystal looks perfect. Your works inspiring as always.

Tanto91

30/3/12
What was the procedure for installing the Athaya crown? Did you have to swap out the stock tube and was the stem the correct length out of the box from Athaya?

I really want one of those crowns on my Bond Rolex but don't know sh* about how to decide which one I need or how to install it.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
You need to remove the old crown tube, drill out the hole in the case to 3.9mm and epoxy the new tube in there. Of if you have tapping equipment you can drill out and then tap to the correct thread for the athaya tube. Once you've done that you have to trim a new stem to fit the length of the new crown.

Tanto91

30/3/12
You need to remove the old crown tube, drill out the hole in the case to 3.9mm and epoxy the new tube in there. Of if you have tapping equipment you can drill out and then tap to the correct thread for the athaya tube. Once you've done that you have to trim a new stem to fit the length of the new crown.

oh is that all? lol, way out of my league. :unsure: