• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

99.999% Rule!!!

nycreplica

Renowned Member
14/1/11
I must say that in Manhattan the majority of my close friends and co-workers own gens ranging from Movado to Pam to IWC to APs. I'm surprised that so far nobody asked me if my UPO is a rep :)

Brim

Known Member
12/4/12
I have both gens and reps. I am the guy that all my friends call when it is time to finally buy a watch not made by Casio. I don't know anyone in real life that could spot any of my reps as fake even if they have glaring tells to me.

D

d4m.test

I just buy, period. If someone questions it (which so far has NEVER happened), I just 'fess up. No shame here. AND, of course, NEVER wear your rep in its AD store! An RWI no-no!

dave

Brim

Known Member
12/4/12
I was thinking about this thread today as I was flying across the USA. After taking time to be more observant of those around me in several different airports I realized that even though I may be annoyed by the pearl on my Rolex sub rep, it is still a nicer watch, rep or not, than 99% of the general public who are rocking Fossil and Casio.

nycreplica

Renowned Member
14/1/11
I was thinking about this thread today as I was flying across the USA. After taking time to be more observant of those around me in several different airports I realized that even though I may be annoyed by the pearl on my Rolex sub rep, it is still a nicer watch, rep or not, than 99% of the general public who are rocking Fossil and Casio.

100%

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I just buy, period. If someone questions it (which so far has NEVER happened), I just 'fess up. No shame here. AND, of course, NEVER wear your rep in its AD store! An RWI no-no!

dave

I agree 100% with this post, and 99.9999984% with this entire thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Egguy23

Horology Curious
14/10/10
Very interesting thread. While I mostly agree that on any given random day, no one will notice what your wearing. But in certain situations it gets noticed quite a bit.

For me, I play poker recreationally quite a bit. Since you are sitting very close to people and extend your hand out to bet, etc, people's watches get noticed by other players at the table. I play what you would call medium stakes, no limit poker with $5-$10 blinds and an initial buyin of anywhere from $1000-$2500. Usually I'm playing against lawyers, consultants, bankers, etc. People who themselves have on gen rolexes or omegas. I've never been asked more questions or given as many compliments on the Pam I wear than when playing poker. They usually ask what watch I'm wearing, that they've never seen one in person, what kind of movent it has. I have never been asked if it is a rep.

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Yesterday I was on a subway in Shanghai. I thought I had gone to "bad rep hell." I was surrounded by quartz Rolexes' and 21j Daytonas.

Yes, I noticed.

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
u guys are wrong the numbers have changed!

is not anymore 99.999% , there is a new study about this , who cares and who knows!!! and the new number is :

99.998% , so dont be sooooo relax!!! about wearing your replicas anymore!

Focal

Known Member
11/9/12
I must say there are a few models that i am quite familiar with but most people could fool me with a rep i think. If its a model i dont know much about.

tokenwhiteboy

Known Member
4/11/12
Great thread.

I have always paid attention to people's watches but was not that well informed (not that I am now but more so). I have a gen Tissot for many years among others but could not really part with $5K + for a watch so never bought the more expensive ones.

Since joining here I have become a little obsessed with looking at what people are wearing and most of the time it is difficult to tell what brand the watch is, never mind what model and forget about whether or not it is a rep.

I would much rather have a couple of boxes full of reps than one gen.

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
This board has made me suspicious of any Rolex I see. I was in the USO lounge at SFO a couple of days ago and the attendant was wearing a GMT. My first thought was to try to spot if it was a rep.

I don't know if it was. The bezel looked a little too faded; other than that, it was under his sleeve and I never got a real good look at it. But, before these forums I would have never given it a second thought.

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
Rolex has one of the highest volumes of watch sales for a luxury brand. It surprises me that people automatically assume one is a rep considering gen sales volumes. That being said, the internet is flooded with bad reps so I see the other side of the fence as well.