• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Problem with A21J

coggs

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/8/10
Hi Guys - was looking to pull the trigger on Ultimate DSSD with a 2813-2 from a couple of TDs but was informed by one that he has had a few problems with this movement recently ( four faulty out of the last ten sold) and I should consider a more reliable (and more expensive) movement! Was wondering if anyone has had problems recently or had heard of any probs others have had with the A21J.

I've had a 21j PO from Narikka that has run perfectly for nearly a year in everyday use and was hoping a new DSSD would be as reliable.:unsure:

Duke1973

14/9/11
That sounds odd? Usually the 21j is reliable? I'm not saying the dealer is BS-ing you, I'm just saying it sounds fishy.

Mickey Padge

Renowned Member
7/9/06
A21J movements are the cheapest option, I never buy them due to them simply being not very good, poor date changes or date font, jumpy second hands, and rough crown feeling, noisy rotors etc.....

Asian clones or genuine Swiss movemenrts are better by far, unless price is your only concern, not quality :)

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
Just go with the ETAs you can't go Wrong with those
I agree. Think about it in the long run. You'll like your 21j version, but it might always be in the back of your mind about what could have been with the eta versions.

Personally, I like how crisp the eta's (even clones) feel compared to the 21j's.

coggs

31/8/10
Thanks for your input, guys, always appreciated. Would love to go for the ETA clone but unfortunately price is the limiting factor. My only (admittedly limited) experience with the 21j movement is as I said with my PO, which seems v. smooth, keeps great time and the date snaps over at 00:03! My concern was that there was a problem with recent batches of the A21j causing unreliability, but as suggested it may be that the dealer is pushing to sell a more expensive watch - I prefer to believe that is not the case! My thinking is to go with Hont (the other TD I was considering) but ask him directly if he has had any problems.

As an aside, is it possible to obtain an ETA clone at a later date (when funds allow) to fit in to this model?

revhrd

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/2/11
Get whatever you can afford, if I was in your place I would wait a little longer and get at least the asian clone version. It is as other members have confirmed a better overall experience and durability. This of course with the assumption that you are going to keep it for a while and want it to last.

Mickey Padge

Renowned Member
7/9/06
As an aside, is it possible to obtain an ETA clone at a later date (when funds allow) to fit in to this model?

You would need new hands for sure, and the correct movement retaining ring most likely ;)

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
I own many A21j watches..>>>

And they all perform just fine....go figure....:stir::wub:

bunbury

Known Member
9/2/11
OK, I'm confused (well, more so than usual)
I thought I remembered reading that the 21J was more reliable and that the 7750 was the movement more likely to have problems.

Duke1973

14/9/11
And they all perform just fine....go figure....:stir::wub:

Ditto! I always buy the cheap 21j watches first to see if I like the watch, then get it with a clone or ETA and sell the 21j model. All I have owned, around 15 or so, none have ever failed me.

AXC

Known Member
5/3/12
None of my 21j movements have had issues either.

That said, I'm pretty sure there are quite a few different makers of 21j movements and it's possible that the movement in the watch you're looking at isn't of the best quality/reliability. I doubt any of our TDs would lie about having problems with a movement, just to sell a more expensive piece.

Get what you can afford, though. If the movement goes bad, they are super inexpensive to replace.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
All a21js are not created equally. Some are pure crap but the DG series are of at least a known fairly consistent quality that usually hold up well. If you know a rep will have a DG-2813 then it's a fairly good bet that it will serve well as long as there isn't a chunk of dirt/fuzz/hair waiting to gum up the works. That said, the Asian 28XX movements are no better than the a21j movements as far as "foreign matter" in their innards. I have to repair about 25% of the ones I use in new builds - sometimes a bad component, sometimes just a "fiber" of some sorts hanging up a wheel...

coggs

31/8/10
Damn! More confused now - I thought the 2813 was what is referred to as an A21j movement.

Anyhoo I have been emailing Hont (not the TD who told me about the 'problem' with the 2813-2) - he assures me that he will thoroughly test any watch before sending, as I would expect, so I'm thinking to go with his Rolex DSSD Asia 2813 Ult edition from the Noob Factory for $126.
http://www.hontwatch.com/productdetails_594.html

As you guys say, if the movement goes wrong, its cheap to replace.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
A 2813 is an a21j. a21j is just a generic name applied to most cheap Asian movements which are loose copies of a Miyota movement and are sometimes referred to as an "Asian Automatic" movement. a DG movement is from Dixmont-Guangzhou.

orson

Renowned Member
8/12/09
It would be wise to listen to Trevor on his experience with N factory 2813 watches recently.

Have they a batch of bad movements at the moment?

I don't know but all power to him for pointing this out. Does the watch you are thinking of buying come from this factory? If so it makes no difference which dealer you buy from, the risk will be equal.

The watches with asian 2813 21j movement made from Noob Facotry are not perfect
It's easy to broken ,stop fast or slow.

Last month ,there are 4 pieces of the asian 2813 movement watches from Noob Facotry had broken

But some watches with 4813 movement is good .
The PO 42mm with 4813 movement is good works well
Thank you

Hi Guys - was looking to pull the trigger on Ultimate DSSD with a 2813-2 from a couple of TDs but was informed by one that he has had a few problems with this movement recently ( four faulty out of the last ten sold) and I should consider a more reliable (and more expensive) movement! Was wondering if anyone has had problems recently or had heard of any probs others have had with the A21J.

I've had a 21j PO from Narikka that has run perfectly for nearly a year in everyday use and was hoping a new DSSD would be as reliable.:unsure:

coggs

31/8/10
I appreciate Trevor's great rep on RWI is well deserved. A less scrupulous dealer would have sent me the watch and taken his chances. I am greatfull for his honesty! Unfortunately funds are restricted at the moment so I will keep in touch with Trevor and see how things develop. Every-ones input is much appreciated - I don't purchase too often and don't want to make a mistake which is why I go by recommendation and through TDs.