• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Deepsea Challenge watch

joegrimm

I'm Pretty Popular
27/10/10
i dont see the point in rolex making such a watch for the sole purpose of "maybe it'll hold at depth", and spending all that cash into R&D and then not releasing it into production. Just doesnt make sense. Im pretty sure this will be available sooner or later.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
i dont see the point in rolex making such a watch for the sole purpose of "maybe it'll hold at depth", and spending all that cash into R&D and then not releasing it into production. Just doesnt make sense. Im pretty sure this will be available sooner or later.

I do, it's called publicity. We are talking about it and so is every single watch related site/blog. Also, I don't think the costs were all that high, a computer probably did most of the design work and what it did cost can be amortised as R&D that will flow into lessor models the same way F1 tech flows down into street cars eventually.

What you saw in the video is pure marketing BS. A lot of guys in suits did not stand around a table and design this. It simply doesn't happen that way. The design team would have been one or two people and a computer. All they did was bulk up the already built DSSD. There is no "stunning technical achievement" here, just good marketing. In fact, I bet the team in marketing that ensured Rolex got maximum mileage out of this was bigger than the team that built the watch.

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
After 52 years they could only make it another 3570 feet??? :)

The video of the watchmaking is impressive but gawd, I hate the inner bezel/rehaut with the writing on it (just like the DeepSea).

constantwatch

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/3/11
Too much text on the dial was one of the deal breakers for many who anticipated the DSSD in 2008. It's probably one of the reasons why they introduced the Sub-C two years later. If the DSC ever does make it to production, you can bet your boots collectors everywhere will be chomping at the bit to get one. Imagine what the price could be.

Someone on VRF even had the audacity to post a WTB for one.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10

They didn't release the first one into production either...

constantwatch

Banned
19/3/11
I'm still holding out for the DDSSD. It looks just as stupid as the the DSC.
Baselpreview.jpg

constantwatch

Banned
19/3/11
At least he was successful making his dive. Not bad for a fellow Canadian. Note the watch in question strapped to the submersible's arm. His next two projects are Avatar 2 and 3.

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/

James-Cameron-after-successful-dive-with-Rolex-DEEPSEA-CHALLENGE-on-Robotic-Arm-National-Geographic-Society-Flag.jpg

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Looks like the Deepsea Challenge

LR-02_MM8108_20120326_235792.jpg

LR-02_MM8108_20120326_23579.jpg