• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hublot Skeleton Tourbillon Full Ceramic vs PVD Coated

Articblade

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/7/11
Hello,

I am about to fork out some serious money for a Hublot Skeleton Tourbillon. I know there is both PVD Coated Stainless Steel as well as Full Ceramic version around. I have looked through some posts about this but my untrained eye is unable to spot the difference.

Can someone explain how to tell difference between full ceramic and the PVD Coated one?

Sample of PVD Coated:
http://www.silix-prime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=115_143&products_id=3739

Sample of Full Ceramic:
http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/big-bang-full-ceramic-skeleton-tourbillon/

Regards,
Articblade

jc368

Supporter
Certified
14/7/11
I have the all brushed ceramic version from trusty (http://imgur.com/a/iuiIs) and I can't tell the difference on those silix pics either.

I've never seen the PVD version in person, but maybe he's just used the pictures from the ceramic version?

Articblade

22/7/11
Silix told me he has the same version as trusty time but he said it is Solid 316 stainless steel and Ceramic Composite Caseset ie it is still PVD Coated. But he did say he will be able to source the full ceramic version if puretime does offer it.

I am starting to wonder if full ceramic is a myth and there is only 1 version in the market.

I did find one that has a different finish. Look at this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljZLfV7qy4M"]video link[/ame], notice part of the "ceramic" case is polished? But if i compare this so called full ceramic with puretime's video, doesnt seem to be the same.

Any chance you tried to test the hardness of your ceramic case before? Shouldnt be able to scratch it vs PVD Coated.

jc368

Supporter
Certified
14/7/11
I'm pretty sure there are several different versions around. I believe the video you posted is a full ceramic, just with brushed ceramic lug plates but polished ceramic sides.

Mine looks exactly like the all brushed version I posted above (http://imgur.com/a/iuiIs) and I'm pretty sure it's full ceramic - the bezel is definitely ceramic (tested the underside) and rest of the case has exactly the same finish. I've also tested the bottom of the case and wasn't able to scratch it with a steel key. I even think the caseback might be ceramic (all the reviews suggested it would be PVD), but I'm not going to test that until I open the watch up and can do it on the inside.

FWIW I love my all brushed version - all the reviews say it but it's definitely true that pictures don't do it justice. I'd also make sure you get some good QC pics to check which version you're getting.

Articblade

22/7/11
I'm pretty sure there are several different versions around. I believe the video you posted is a full ceramic, just with brushed ceramic lug plates but polished ceramic sides.

Mine looks exactly like the all brushed version I posted above (http://imgur.com/a/iuiIs) and I'm pretty sure it's full ceramic - the bezel is definitely ceramic (tested the underside) and rest of the case has exactly the same finish. I've also tested the bottom of the case and wasn't able to scratch it with a steel key. I even think the caseback might be ceramic (all the reviews suggested it would be PVD), but I'm not going to test that until I open the watch up and can do it on the inside.

FWIW I love my all brushed version - all the reviews say it but it's definitely true that pictures don't do it justice. I'd also make sure you get some good QC pics to check which version you're getting.

Thanks for the clarification and the testing. Now that i am confident there is a ceramic version but how do i identify it from QC Pictures???? PVD Coated and Full ceramic can be made to look almost the same in picture correct? Any tips on this?

Say if i errorneously accepted QC pics claiming it is Full Ceramic and i tested the watch when it arrive and found it was PVD Coated (which will involve scratching it and damaging the pvd coating). Will the trusted dealers here or mods help to seek for a refund even in this case?

Regards,
Articblade

whyser

19/6/10
I'm fairly confident that the caseback is PVD. I replaced the PVD version with a ceramic one (from a V1 lite). You can just tell from the way it looks and feels.

PVD steel looks a lot more matte black, and it doesn't have the gloss and shine that smooth ceramic has.

The rest of the case, however, is fully ceramic.

I'll try to do it justice with my photos (caseback photos are PVD):

Hublot%2520Skeleton%2520Tourbillon%2520Black_01.jpg

Hublot%2520Skeleton%2520Tourbillon%2520Black_02.jpg

Hublot%2520Skeleton%2520Tourbillon%2520Black_03.jpg

Hublot%2520Skeleton%2520Tourbillon%2520Black_04.jpg

Hublot%2520Skeleton%2520Tourbillon%2520GoldVSBlack_02.jpg

Articblade

22/7/11
Nice pictures, but still face the same problem... The Ceramic is brushed and its very hard to tell PVD vs ceramic from the picture!

whyser

19/6/10
Well you may be right, I'm not sure, but it feels like ceramic to me after taking the bezel off.

My photos have a smooth black ceramic bezel, because I think it looks better this way, and it's from the V1 factory so I know it's ceramic.

Nice pictures, but still face the same problem... The Ceramic is brushed and its very hard to tell PVD vs ceramic from the picture!

Articblade

22/7/11
Well you may be right, I'm not sure, but it feels like ceramic to me after taking the bezel off.

My photos have a smooth black ceramic bezel, because I think it looks better this way, and it's from the V1 factory so I know it's ceramic.

Yeah i love your version. Brushed ceramic lug plates but polished ceramic sides but i asked many dealers and they all said that version is sold out. tough luck

Articblade

22/7/11
Just to update. I decided to pull the trigger on the HBB Skeleton Tourbillon SS version with Ceramic bezel from the new TD, Toro Bravo.

Seems like all TDs do not sell the full ceramic version anymore.

Will post the QC pics when i get them. Hopefully the expert can tell me if it is PVD or ceramic bezel.

Heisenberg

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/1/11
I now own the exact watch shown in Jimmy's video (post #3). I had gotten QC photos from another TD and thought it looked like PVD rather than ceramic, which he confirmed after I inquired. Jimmy actually had one in his possession - shown in the video - and I bought it. It is fabulous, particularly after installing a polished ceramic bezel, TX crystal, and Veyron gummy croc strap.

Articblade

22/7/11
I now own the exact watch shown in Jimmy's video (post #3). I had gotten QC photos from another TD and thought it looked like PVD rather than ceramic, which he confirmed after I inquired. Jimmy actually had one in his possession - shown in the video - and I bought it. It is fabulous, particularly after installing a polished ceramic bezel, TX crystal, and Veyron gummy croc strap.

When did you purchase yours? I email jimmy but he told me the full ceramic version sold out but he has the other versions (PVD, RG, SS).

Articblade

22/7/11
Bad news guys, 1 week after i paid him the full amount, Toro now tells me this model is out of stock... I ask him to see what other models are available but not hopeful at the moment.

Quite disappointed.

Articblade

22/7/11
Toro has been very fast in his replies to my queries but I am still quite disappointed in how my purchase was handled.

Initially, I asked toro for an Ss version with ceramic bezel and toro told me he could get it and since I am buying PAM111 from him, he offered a good price ( save cost from shipping I guess), he also agreed to swap the rubber strap to gummy. I then paid him in full.

A week passed and I asked for update on the status, now he told me the only source that makes this model is out of stock for SS version but does have RG, all Pvd, and full ceramic ( I still question this but whatever) but I need to pay additional.

I further ask if the swap with gummy strap is still good. he flip his story and say this company does not sell gummy and need extra cost to get it. This was after I double confirm he is agreeable to the swap to gummy before I paid him in full. The total additional cost came up to 100usd.

I know this is the rep business and everyone is out to earn from it, even TDs. I am not sure what is due diligence for the TDs but I had thought they should check the availability of the watch with their source before accepting payment from the buyer?

whyser

19/6/10
Articblade,

I'm having issues with Toro too, dealing with a purchase made back around January!!

At least he's answering your emails, I've emailed him once every week or two asking for an update but I haven't heard from him for almost a month now!

Articblade

22/7/11
Articblade,

I'm having issues with Toro too, dealing with a purchase made back around January!!

At least he's answering your emails, I've emailed him once every week or two asking for an update but I haven't heard from him for almost a month now!

Mabbie you can PM the mods to help mediate?

I asked for a refund for my tourby purchase and Toro promptly refunded within a day.