• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM Quick-Release button/bar stuck (Panerai 048)

investinwaffles

Renowned Member
16/6/11
Hey guys,
Have had one of the budget T4D PAM 048's sitting in my watch box with a fantastic strap from J waiting to be mounted.

I have not been able to get the QR bars out though! One side is protruding about 1mm, and the QR button will not depress on that side.

The other side, the button depresses but no matter how hard I press the bar wont come out. :picard:

What am I doing wrong? I have watched 10 videos on how to change straps with the QR system and I know I am pushing the pins from the right side. Can any of our watch-smiths fix this if I cant get the bars out? Maybe drill out the QR system and tap the lugs for standard screw-in bars?

Have been trying off and on for the last few months to no avail, and I just scratched the shit out of one of the lugs so Im gonna have to re-brush it now. :facepalm:

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
They are tricky. If you get them out, don't put them back. There are spring bars with faux screw ends for sale from watchbitz / offshore.

korneevy

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/12/10
This QR system is crap even on gens, so all reps I had with QR were plagued by same problems as you described or were so loose, the watch would all of the sudden come off the strap so I swore to avoid these things by all means.

I think you will need to look at drilling the bars out, sourcing spring bars and gluening the QR tips into the lungs to keep the apperances. If you have a dremmel, drilling out shoul de pretty trivial but I am not sure where to get a QR-style spring bars from, I think they have a different shape from regular bars...try Panatime maybe?

investinwaffles

Renowned Member
16/6/11
Thanks so much for the advice guys.

I already opened up contact with Katt and I think im going to have him drill them out for me and mount up the strap, and quiet the rotor at the same time.

Really appreciate the link Trailboss, will go ahead and order them off now.

ugoderosa

Renowned Member
12/9/10
I had a 312 with the same issues. I thought for sure the bars would not come out, even had the stuck buttons.

I found some "tools" and pushed down with massive force (watch was on padded carpet) on both the button, also while pushing the bar through the lug- which is difficult because you are pushing in two different directions at the same time. I swear I thought I was going to break something, but eventually the bar pushed through. Replaced with Panatime faux screw in springbars, problem solved.

Autlnd

Renowned Member
19/7/10
After some patience and pliers I finally got y screws out, put on panatime strap, although one of the qr buttons popped out and I lost it in the carpet!

Looks good and the pin seems to stay in well, may order those panatime faux screw springbars now, as long as they fit well...

Thanks!

Mj2k

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/11/12
Herts
Thread resurrection before anyone else gets there!

I used the faux screw-bars in my homage, but as a replacement for the quick change bars, are the smaller c.1mm ends too small for the bar they replace?

I would have thought it needs to be a 2.5mm each end. Does such a bar exist? Or is my quick change fear not relevant in the current generation?

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

korneevy

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/12/10
Thread resurrection before anyone else gets there!

I used the faux screw-bars in my homage, but as a replacement for the quick change bars, are the smaller c.1mm ends too small for the bar they replace?

I would have thought it needs to be a 2.5mm each end. Does such a bar exist? Or is my quick change fear not relevant in the current generation?

Matt

No such bars exist.

Your quick change fear is as relevant as before (at least on Noob models)

Mj2k

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/11/12
Herts
No such bars exist.

Your quick change fear is as relevant as before (at least on Noob models)

Thanks for this, amazed there isn't a bar about, as the movement of the 1mm end will surely wear the lug hole eventually - had a Seiko do it when I didn't use fat bars.

Aside from not changing straps, is there a way to prevent it happening, or at least minimise it eg being firm/gentle etc

Matt