• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Battle of the TopGuns - You realise this means war!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
And the first shots have been fired as IWC gear up to prevent the release of the Breitling Top Gun. The following media release was just delivered to all journos at Baselworld.

Official statement
IWC Top Gun watches

Schaffhausen, 7 March 2012 – IWC is proud partner of the US Navy Tactics Instructor Program, better known under the name of Top Gun, since 2005.

The exclusive license for the manufacturing of dedicated timepieces was officially granted by the US Navy seven years ago when IWC launched the first Edition of Top Gun watches. At that time IWC also acquired the trademark for the name “Top Gun†in class 14. In 2012 IWC extended the exclusive license and the Top Gun collection with the launch of a Big Pilot and a Pilot’s Chronograph Edition Miramar. These models pay tribute to the establishment of the United States Navy Fighter Weapons School in 1969 in Miramar, where the legendary training program for the world’s best fighter pilots originated.

Since 2005 IWC enjoys an official and close relationship with the US Navy Tactics Instructor Program and we are grateful for the support given by the organisation throughout the past seven years. In this context IWC and guests were granted an exclusive trip to the US Navy’s aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan where we gained veritable insight into a Top Gun Pilots training routine. The launch of the new collection in January 2012 was supported with access to authentic stories and a large variety of original materials to enrich our communication activities. In addition we were honoured with the presence of a highly decorated Top Gun Pilot and Commander of the US Navy at the SIHH in Geneva. The license fee paid to the US Navy for the past seven years goes into a charitable organization supporting retired Top Gun pilots.

The exclusive license agreement between IWC, the US Navy and their Tactics Instructor Program, our close and long-term relationship with the organisation and the registered trademark for the name “Top Gun†prevent any competitor from using the US Navy’s logo or the name “Top Gun†in relation to any of their products or respective communication. On the basis of these facts IWC was able to find an agreement with Breitling, where they refrain from launching any product named or making reference to “Top Gun†at Baselworld.

IWC Schaffhausen
With a clear focus on technology and development, the Swiss watch manufacturer IWC Schaffhausen has been producing watches of lasting value since 1868. The company has gained an international reputation based on a passion for innovative solutions and technical ingenuity. One of the world’s leading brands in the luxury watch segment, IWC crafts masterpieces of Haute Horlogerie at its finest, combining supreme precision with exclusive design.

Further information
IWC Schaffhausen
Uwe Liebminger
Department Manager Public Relations
Mobile +41 (0)79 957 72 52
E-mail [email protected]
Internet www.iwc.com

So, did it not occur to anyone at Breitling to check if they could actually do this? Did it not occur there may be an issue here? :facepalm:

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
It will not be fine i guess..They will change the name....

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
We won't see a Breitling Top Gun then :) They will come up with some other names.

arcadia

11/8/11
Someone is getting the pink slip in the copyright department..

jesseharmon81

I'm Pretty Popular
17/6/10
I wonder if you ask a Top Gun pilot what watch they would want, what answer you would receive? If it looks like their Blacksteel collection, I bet I know the answer;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Sorry, I thought everyone had seen it. It was posted here a few days ago.

BreitlingTopGunWithdrawn1.jpg

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Man that watch is fugly!

When Briet hits, they hit. When they miss, holy crap do they miss! ;)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I don't like it either.

I can't really say what's my problem, but the result isn't good, or at least not my cup of tea...

boostin20

8/9/10
USA
This watch definitely wouldn't look good to most people. It only means something to the people who have graduated through that school. To them, it's freakin awesome.

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
Am a huge breitling fan, but I just can never like the B01,

jesseharmon81

I'm Pretty Popular
17/6/10
I'm starting to think the world is going to end... First the Sky Dweller, now this.... I'm going to go hide under a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
The B01, IF you like it, is still too dressy for a military-styled pilots watch. If they had done that with their Professional line, like the aerospace, airwolf raven, emergency or something then they would be at a better starting point.

Its like if Rolex had tried to add additional functions to a Datejust...not gonna work and never gonna happen.

:lol2:

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
Once again proving the veracity of the Olongopo >>>

Bar girls......They always said:
You can always tell when you're with a Navy pilot..."Beeg watch...teeny wee-wee"!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh: