• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Advice for new guy - GMT Coke or Pepsi

jimmypet

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/2/12
Hello, This is my first post. Great forum you have here.
I have been searching like a fiend for the past couple days trying to educate myself on what to look for / where to buy a good GMT with preferably a Coke bezel, but a Pepsi would be OK as well.

The choices seem overwhelming, so many vendors, so many watches within each vendor. I have gotten overwhelmed with choices.
Maybe you guys could offer some advice on who is making / selling the best version these days.

There was a very good review about a GMT in all black, which is the quality I am hoping for,,, only in a Coke or Pepsi version.

I want to buy one I can wear, day in day out like a normal watch, not just eye candy if that makes sense. I travel alot with my job, all over the world, so the GMT functionality is actually very important to me.

My criteria / wish list:
1) Budget ~around $200 USD (maybe a bit more), I'd spend that on a nice Seiko Kinetic...
2) Really waterproof
3) GMT functionality I dont care about the stack order, function is more important
4) Good solid working watch.

I know from searching that Perfect Clones has fallen out of favor here, but on their site I found this watch that seemed to fit most of the above (on the surface) but I cant find a review of it anywhere.

http://www.1-pc8838.com/rlgs01032-anni-ssblueredblk-asia-2836-hand-p-9571.htm

They have it labeled: RSGS01031 SS Anni GMT Blu /Red / Blk Asia ETA 2836 GMT Hand Ind.
They call is a Franken Creation? Not sure what that means.

They seem to somehow have disabled copy and pasting from their site, but by reading the description it seems the GMT hand retains full functionality and the watch is waterproof to 30 meters and its $228 which falls in my price range.

Can anyone comment on that watch, or direct me to something similar (or better) from a Trusted Vendor?

Thanks very much for reading this far. I greatly appreciate it as I learn from all of you.
jimmy

captben41

27/4/10
I'm interested in hearing some responses as well. I've been looking for a Pepsi version and have no clue how to choose one either.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
Hi guys,

I have perfect clones Retro Pepsi GMT 16710.....it has an ETA 2836 with ICH,,,,but once you know how to set the GMT correctly it works brilliantly...

Josh has fallen out of TD staus but lots of people still use him and Trusty Time....mine is water resistant to at least 1 meter and that was in the Caribean Ocean too....so go for it,,,,,,you will be very happy.

kdo2milger

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/3/06
i bought this one, I have been wearing it all week. I really like this version!
RL05901_GMT_MASTER_II_ANNI_SS_BLUERED_3500SI2_A-2836_%281%29__39810_zoom.JPG

http://www.replicamake.com/products...-ANNIVERSARY-SS-BLUE-RED-ASIA-2836-BLACK.html

jimmypet

29/2/12
Thanks very much Rob, you were one of the people I was hoping would see this thread.

So that watch in your photos in the other GMT thread was the Perfect Clones retro?

Sorry for the silly question,,, but,,, Do you wear it alot?
thx
jimmy

---- MERGE -----
@ KDO2
That appears to be the same exact watch I was looking at on Perfect Clones! Same exact description.

Is Replica Maker a Trusted Vendor (I guess I can check that).

Sounds like you like it. Build quality good?
To me thats more important than the detail accuracy to a Gen.

Thanks in advance for any more info you care to share about the watch and your buying experience with that vendor.

i bought this one, I have been wearing it all week. I really like this version!
RL05901_GMT_MASTER_II_ANNI_SS_BLUERED_3500SI2_A-2836_%281%29__39810_zoom.JPG

http://www.replicamake.com/products...-ANNIVERSARY-SS-BLUE-RED-ASIA-2836-BLACK.html

kdo2milger

17/3/06
@Jimmy;

Im not sure if Lay is a trusted dealer here, he may have been in the past...i dont remember which forum i was turned on to Lay, but i can tell you from my experience with him, I am very pleased with the quality of the watch and Lays customer service

youtube qc video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oravmi-sUE&feature=player_embedded"]R-L-05901 - YouTube[/ame]

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Jimmy,

The watch in the above posts is a fantasy model. There is no Pepsi GMT-C. The "C" being the ceramic bezel. You'll also note that the "C" models have green GMT hands, not red. No pepsi or coke comes with the ceramic bezel, supercase (larger lugs, etc.).

If you want the best Pepsi GMT, you're going to have to find one in the for sale section. They were made by the "noob factory" and are no longer produced.

I have had more GMTs than any other rep, and have tried a few from different sources. The best one you can buy from a trusted deal in my opinion is the one offered by Marvellous Replica. A few other dealers might be able to get the same watch, but I use him because he's always done right by me. Never had a problem once, and I've bought 20-30 watches from him.

I think he has the pepsi GMT on his site: www.marvellousreplica.com

Good luck!

jimmypet

29/2/12
Thanks for a great post Greg.
Super informative. It explains alot. I guess that is why its referenced as a "Franken"? Being new at this, I am guessing a Franken watch is a fantasy watch or something the gen maker never produced?

I ran across references to Noob Factory GMT in my searches, but didnt find any watches except all black ones.

So hypothetically if I'm not looking for 100% rep accuracy, but I like the look of that watch it should be OK?
I have always loved the GMT watch.
No one seems to make a similar watch in function and look in any brand "homage" that I have found which has led me to looking for a GMT replica.
Seiko has some Pepsi bezels but they are dive watches and dont have the GMT functionality.

So for someone like me who is looking for a watch that looks like a GMT and acts like a GMT but isnt $5500 that I can wear every day, in shower, out, at work, swimming, etc I am probably the target for such a fantasy watch (assuming the "watch" portion is well made and functions well)?

Thanks for your learned thoughts.

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Actually, whoever called it a "Franken" got it wrong too. "Franken" refers to a watch that is part rep, part gen. So a WM9 Submariner with a gen bezel insert and crown would be considered a franken. Like Frankenstein's Monster...part person, part machine, put together by someone.

That watch you referenced is a "fantasy," meaning it does not exist in "real life" (as a gen model).

In my view you have 2 choices:

1) order a Pepsi from MR, or

2) find a used noob for sale in the for sale forum. Expect to pay $500+. If it already has a pepsi bezel, great. If not, get one from eBay and put it on. Then, you have to add a better-looking crown and GMT hand, as these are some flaws on the noob GMT. After that, you have one of the best reps ever made. You're also 1/4 of the way to a decent used gen at this point, considering the watch price + parts and modding labor expense.

Sneed actually made the best GMT rep I've ever seen out of a noob explorer II. You can search for his post. But he's also very good at building things himself, so that's not really an option to buy however...unless you're the lucky bastard he sold it to.

To start out...just get it from MR and call it a day, you won't be disappointed.

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
+1 on MR.
The GMT II Angus has on his site (PureTime) looks great but that's because he still has the Noob factory version pictured...and as already mentioned, they've been long gone.
I've landed a Noob Exp.II case to build a GMT II, so it'll most likely end up being the best possible GMT II rep.
Food for thought...if you want a great looking GMT II ( far better than anything currently being offered), aren't in a real hurry to wear it and are willing to take the time sourcing what's necessary to build one, I've gotten some measurements from the Exp.II that Josh offers...it's capable of doing the same Exp. II to GMT II conversion as the Noob Exp.II is. Meaning it'll take a gen crystal, crown and tube and also take either a gen or gen sized GMT II bezel.
I'm still waiting on the measurement of the dial opening to see whether it'll take a gen dial (27.2-27.4mm)

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
Or you can get an explorer ii (40mm) there is a new ultimate version with super lume

correctime

Banned
28/5/11

grejyedi

29/12/11
I keep reading theres a new version of the CHS thats more robust than the old version. Guy was selling a whitefaced Exp II on RG.

Anyone know where you can get a black faced version?

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
I've gotten some measurements from the Exp.II that Josh offers...it's capable of doing the same Exp. II to GMT II conversion as the Noob Exp.II is. Meaning it'll take a gen crystal, crown and tube and also take either a gen or gen sized GMT II bezel.
I'm still waiting on the measurement of the dial opening to see whether it'll take a gen dial (27.2-27.4mm)

This is VERY interesting information. I have a spare MR-sourced GMT w/ a 2836-2 clone, good GMT hand, great-looking crown...

From what you're saying, I could possibly get a 21j (cheap) Exp-II (I'd have MR get it for me), get rid of the mov't/dial. Now I have a case ready for my mov't/dial. Put a clark crystal and get an aftermarket GMT bezel, and I'm set. Of course, I could gen-up any of those parts if the budget allows...

Hmmmmmm...are those Exp II's wokky at all?

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Swap the superlume dots as well?
That would be a case for getting the black-dial version, for sure!

(for new guys: the white-dial version has black rings around the lume dots, the black dial version has silver, like the GMT...while actually in the gens it's white gold, but whatever)

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
This is VERY interesting information. I have a spare MR-sourced GMT w/ a 2836-2 clone, good GMT hand, great-looking crown...

From what you're saying, I could possibly get a 21j (cheap) Exp-II (I'd have MR get it for me), get rid of the mov't/dial. Now I have a case ready for my mov't/dial. Put a clark crystal and get an aftermarket GMT bezel, and I'm set. Of course, I could gen-up any of those parts if the budget allows...

Hmmmmmm...are those Exp II's wokky at all?
Not to me they're not. But you decide.........

http://www.1-pc8838.com/0rlex00089-explorer-black-a2836-p-11665.html

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
correctime, did I see in another thread that you had found out that this was simply an old picture of a noob exp-II, and won't work after all?

kdo2milger

17/3/06
straight off Lays website:
A Genuine watch was stripped down for this replication exercise.. Pepsi Ceramic Franken Creation
Actually, whoever called it a "Franken" got it wrong too. "Franken" refers to a watch that is part rep, part gen. So a WM9 Submariner with a gen bezel insert and crown would be considered a franken. Like Frankenstein's Monster...part person, part machine, put together by someone.

That watch you referenced is a "fantasy," meaning it does not exist in "real life" (as a gen model).

In my view you have 2 choices:

1) order a Pepsi from MR, or

2) find a used noob for sale in the for sale forum. Expect to pay $500+. If it already has a pepsi bezel, great. If not, get one from eBay and put it on. Then, you have to add a better-looking crown and GMT hand, as these are some flaws on the noob GMT. After that, you have one of the best reps ever made. You're also 1/4 of the way to a decent used gen at this point, considering the watch price + parts and modding labor expense.

Sneed actually made the best GMT rep I've ever seen out of a noob explorer II. You can search for his post. But he's also very good at building things himself, so that's not really an option to buy however...unless you're the lucky bastard he sold it to.

To start out...just get it from MR and call it a day, you won't be disappointed.

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Then Lay is the one who got it wrong. If there are no gen parts on the watch, it is not a franken.

Lay's watch is a Pepsi fantasy.