• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Om3ga_guy's FrSMP-007 Project (Beginning to end)

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
Hello all,

After an approx. 13 month journey from beginning to end, my FrSMP-007 is finally home and complete. I started a different thread about the original rep watch when I initially got it. I thought it would make more sense to start a new thread pertaining to the franken process itself. It also makes it easier to follow for those looking to franken their Seamaster Professional. I don't have a whole lot of "before and after" photos so I apologise. I'm also doing a lot of this over my iPhone.

For those who are wondering about how to budget a FrSMP, I've included rough costs and sources for parts. I'm one of those people who "prefers" not to spend $1k on a franken so I was very particular about where and how much I was going to spend for the parts.

Part 1: Obtaining the best rep for the project
I searched for months for the best SMP to franken. Most of the reps today house 21j and are not accurate enough for my liking. The thickness of the case and hands were always one of my pet peeves, I could never find a watch that had these two features right. I read about the closed factory SMP, saw it looked bang on and spent the rest of my time looking for one. Reality is, these closed factory SMP's are pretty much non-existent today. Mid last year, I fell upon an "old school" SMP. It looked very similar to the closed factory model, however the case was thinner (more accurate imo) and the HE valve was in the wrong spot. The HE valve was never a concern to me, so it didn't matter.

Here are some photos of the initial rep. It's beautiful as is... The things to note are:

Watch cost me $250.00 total and shipped

-Its powered by a Swiss 2836-2 movement
-Thickness of casing is thinner and crystal has less of a bevel than what i've seen on my other SMP reps. It also feels like it has a bit more weight. Closer to gen. Almost bang on.
-Bracelet construction is top notch. I give it an 8/10 for accuracy. Only thing is I'm going to brush the ends of the bracelet links over the weekend. They currently have the mirror like polish. Totally wrong.
-This model has the screws, not pins in the links. Doesn't bother me. Not noticeable.
-HE valve is wrong
-Look at the red tip on the second hand! Correct length. Too bad they cut the square end on tail of the second hand short about 1mm...
-Crown guards look much better in person than in pics. Compared to what i've had in the past, these are much better. I will leave these alone for now.
-Lume is of the same quality as my UPO. Consistent green all around.

img0015sp.jpg

img0016dkn.jpg

img0017mr.jpg

img0018bv.jpg

Part 2: Franken process has started. The DIY stuff...
3 Months later, I brushed the ends of the bracelet links. Looks perfect. I also had my local watchsmith replace the crown and HE valve. These were used parts that he had sitting around after he did a service for another gentleman. I believe the rep tubes were reused for both. Lastly, I got my hands on a gen bezel. This bezel came from RWG thanks to Paparas. I used the insert only and sold the bezel ring. This help offset the costs of the initial bezel purchase.

Parts Cost me $75.00 total and shipped

img3685xa.jpg

img3686k.jpg

img3688xe.jpg

img3692w.jpg

Part 3: Franken process continues. Sourcing parts...
I started looking for more gen parts to franken my watch with. My primary source was eBay because used SMP parts are readily available on there. This is was I bought:

1. Gen Seamaster Professional dial, used but in new condition. The lume was a little weak so I had PB dad touch it up.

Parts Cost me $65.00, shipped

img4141h.jpg

2. Gen Seamaster Professional hands, new from Ofrei. For about $70.00, you cant go wrong buying them new. Most of the time used hand are banged up anyways...

Parts Cost me $75.00, shipped

Ofrei link: http://www.ofrei.com/omega-watch-hands-caliber-1111.html

Part 4: Franken process continues. Getting the parts installed...
Note: Im keeping install and labour prices to myself. I don't know if modding prices vary and I would hate to step over anyone's toes. You could probably do the math with all the figures I distribute throughout my thread. Keep in mind however, this SMP was one of a few watches PB was working on...all my figures are approx...

Now that I had all the gen parts that I needed, it was time to have them installed. PBdad was my guy. I've had a few watches modded by him and I've had nothing but good experiences...

Gen dial after the relume. Notice he forgot the 3 o'clock marker :) For those who were wondering about reluming the "printed" lume dots, it's definitely possible. PB did mine and it looks 100% gen and CLEAN! If there's something most of us don't like, its when you see handling marks or excess lume powder. DSSD's are prone for this, especially after a relume. My SMP markers came out 9.5 out of 10...I couldn't be more pleased.

img4141h.jpg

img4142f.jpg

Heres a photos after he reassembled the watch with the new hands and dial. He had to disassemble the watch again after I pointed out the 3 o'clock marker he missed.

img4143yw.jpg

Part 5: Finished product...
Quality control pictures prior to shipping. This is about 3 months after I shipped it to PB. I couldn't wait to get the bugger back...

smp1.jpg

The lume on this thing tops my gen Omegas. I'm really picky with aftermarket stuff and never thought it was possible to get a relume this good.

smp2.jpg

Heres a comparison shot with the gen. I stared at this photo everyday for the 8 days it took for this watch to get back to me. OCD's kicking in...ha...

screenshot20120215at257.png

Here is what it looks like today...beautiful...I've also got a 100% gen steel bracelet on it right now...

img4500w.jpg

img4501d.jpg

img4502y.jpg

img4503s.jpg

img4504kg.jpg

img4505q.jpg

img4507s.jpg

img4508ef.jpg

img4509f.jpg

img4510q.jpg

img4512a.jpg

img4513f.jpg

Comparison photos with my gen quartz. Overall, very close match. Minor differences in the cg's and the HE valve of course. The quartz is also thinner, but that's expected because its a quartz. Next to gen, without using a ruler, my case looks bang on. Also, the crystal is an aftermarket swiss sapphire crystal. I don't see a difference between it and the gen.

img4518q.jpg

img4517o.jpg

img4516m.jpg

Part 6: Conclusion...

Om3ga_guys FrSMP-007 built consists of:

1. Rep case + back
2. Gen dial
3. Gen hands
4. Gen crown
5. Gen HE valve
6. Gen bezel (I reordered a gen bezel ring + clickspring + retaining wire. I will install next week)
7. Gen bracelet
8. Swiss manufactured saphire crystal
9. Swiss 2836-2 movement

The one thing I want to point out to those who fear starting a franken because of costs is if you can get yourself a watch capable of taking gen parts for $250.00, really all you need is a $600-$700 budget (including the watch) and you can build a pretty damn good piece. The only real problem you get yourself into is once you've started with the gen parts, you keep wanting to add more :) For those wondering why I would spend $700.00 on a rep:

1. I already own a gen quartz and chronograph
2. I liked the idea of doing a custom build
3. Huge Bond fan. Goldeneye is what actually got me into Omega and watches in general. The gen 40th aniv. would have cost much more money to buy
4. ........and because I could ;)

PS. I have a 42mm FrPO on the way as well. Should have a thread started on it in the next few weeks...

Hope everyone found this useful, feel free to PM me with questions.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Let me be the first to say, yeahhhhhhh baby!!!

Awesome watch and thread!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Desire HD

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. As a next step, I'd like to find a gen 007 clasp and caseback.

Regarding the HE valve, all I can really do is find another case. Ofrei has gen case sets, but their $750.00 +

Nicely done mate, looks great.

Bonesey, love your work bud. I actually have one of your modded Bond 6538's in my watch box...

cfdb45dd-1a7d-ff24.jpg

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
Now that's a nice job. Thanks for going to the trouble of posting!

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
congrats! love it!

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Hey guys, are are some more comparison photos between my FrSMP-007 and my gen quartz...

Rep on top / Gen on bottom
img4567v.jpg

img4570p.jpg

img4571a.jpg

img4572dx.jpg

img4574.jpg

img4578c.jpg

img4581b.jpg

img4583v.jpg

img4591i.jpg

Rep left/ Gen right
img4599gc.jpg

img4600hh.jpg

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
This thread is getting better and better! The bracelets are almost the same!!!

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Your absolutely right Pap.

The link construction is the same.

- The notable flaw is the thickness of the link in between the two polished pieces. The end links however look much better...So close!
- Clasp writing is smaller scale on the rep over the gen quartz, but when I sit the rep clasp next to my chronograph the writings the same.
- Also note how well the clasp (two lipped ends) sit within the grooved links. The cut-outs are shaped right on.

This is the best bracelet I've ever seen on a SMP.

This thread is getting better and better! The bracelets are almost the same!!!

luckie

19/12/11
I would love to know how the bezel was replaced. I have all the parts(gen) and want to swap them out but unsure what's all involved. Is there a link somewhere?

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Luckie, PM sent :)

I would love to know how the bezel was replaced. I have all the parts(gen) and want to swap them out but unsure what's all involved. Is there a link somewhere?

Here are some more photos of this awesome franken in a my gen box. These are also my sales thread photos...

img4729u.jpg

img4730r.jpg

img4731l.jpg

img4732jo.jpg

img4733k.jpg

img4734i.jpg

img4735v.jpg

img4736ep.jpg

img4737eq.jpg

img4739y.jpg

img4742t.jpg