• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ballon Bleu - 36mm or 42mm?

mindbridge

Horology Curious
6/1/12
So I've been looking at the Ballon Bleu for a while - and I have to say, it is a beautiful watch.

But I face a dilemma in that I have to make a choice between the midsize (36mm) and the men's size (42mm).

I've read around and apparently the BB wears smaller than it would normally. But I do have a 6 inch wrist.

Any suggestions or pics?

Thanks

P.S. I'm a dude.

alucard666

I'm Pretty Popular
14/1/10
I have a 6.5 wrist and the 42 wore perfectly for a dress watch. Don't go for the 36, given the shape and look it may look too feminine.

nycreplica

Renowned Member
14/1/11
42 for sure.
When I tried it, it looked a little small.
My wife tried it, it wears a little big on her wrist but she is in love with it.

LUWE

Renowned Member
9/7/11
Hi

I had this watch and I would say definitly the 42mm.... 36mm is realy ladylike....

My wrist is about 18,5cm

See the pic :)

P9280103.jpg

Because the bracele is more less directly attached on the case, it looks bigger then it is....

mindbridge

Horology Curious
6/1/12
Lovely, thanks.

Alucard, any chance that we can see a photo of your 42mm on 6.5? :D

My wrist is actually 5.8 inches, but hopefully the 42mm can make up for it.

alucard666

I'm Pretty Popular
14/1/10
Lovely, thanks.

Alucard, any chance that we can see a photo of your 42mm on 6.5? :D

My wrist is actually 5.8 inches, but hopefully the 42mm can make up for it.

I sold mine to raise funds for a SMP Chrono mod and never took real wrist shots then :(
I was able to crop some photos from a party I wore it to. Really low res pictures but as you can see the 42 looks great with a suit on a wrist our size.

BB.jpg

BB2.jpg

mindbridge

Horology Curious
6/1/12
The size looks great on you. Thanks for the photos Alucard.

This is a photo of a 38mm Seiko 5 (great piece btw) I have on.

os4bp0.jpg

What do you guys think?

I know the obvious answer would be to go to an AD and try it out for myself, but that's not an option here I'm afraid :(

Thanks!

alucard666

I'm Pretty Popular
14/1/10
The BB has very small lugs compared to the seiko you have on. It will wear at about the same size. Go for it.

alucard666

I'm Pretty Popular
14/1/10
The accuracy is great. The cg covers the stone so any slight difference in the color is not noticeable unlike some of the Cartier reps. The etching on the back is not as sharp as the Gen but in day to day lighting conditions its a hard tell. Just keep in mind that our td have both white and silver dial versions and the white looks much better. Also avoid the gold tt version if you plan to wear the watch often.

votoms

Known Member
1/9/12
I just got one. My dad brought back two. I have the 42mm one and the accuracy is pretty good. I am gonna get him to bring a few more back next time. This is one of the best Reps I have seen.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
42 for sure.

36 should be reserved for vintage datejusts, 1016's and nothing else.

watchnerd18

Horology Curious
13/5/13
ive just been recently to my local cartier store and ive found that as a dress/ suit watch with a metal bracelet the 36 suits me more/IM actually scouring for the right one tried finding one on the member sales section but cant really find one and the 36 on perfect clones isnt really the right face