• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

noob question, please help :)

fila

Horology Curious
16/2/12
i searched the forum for my answers but came up empty so i decided to ask for a little help.

i am planning on purchasing my First rep rolex.. i love the Daytona two tone with the white dial..

would anyone recommend this as a good "first rep watch" that looks gen?

i dont want is to be seen as an idiot with a Fake watch on his wrist that cost $5 at the swap meet if you know what i mean (not to disrespect anyone). ive read that the Daytona is a bad choice for a first rep watch and its hard to make look gen. is this true? any models you suggest from rolex that look close to Gen as possible in the mid 100's? i want to stay below $200 if possible for my first on and will buy more if this one looks good.

ive also read that the submariner has a "light" band to begin with so it is also a bad choice for a replica as well since most will assume its fake right away? or did i misread that?

i love how the 2 tone and white dial looks and any suggestions and or help would be greatly appreciated!

also as a bonus if you could point me to a dealer who specializes or has what im in the market for that will save my head from spinning since ive been researching this for 3 months now and finally asking questions. ive read and read and read, looked at sites from toms to eden and everywhere else in btween, i need an "experts" opinion here or atleast someone whos happy with their purchase. Thank you for the help in advance!

Tommy Wiseau

Renowned Member
13/3/11
The Room
My first "passable" rep was the SS sub with an Asian 2836-2 clone movement.

At first I was in the A21j movement phase, but to someone who know how a rolex ticks will know the moment they set eyes on it.

waterluver

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/7/11
stay away from the daytonas for now- go with a sub with the newer bracelets and clasp--WBK-a trusted dealer here has them as well as other dealers here--or a gmtIIc is a good first rolex rep---look around and ask more questions--you are doing right in asking first THEN buying--remember good research is worth everything in this hobby

fila

Horology Curious
16/2/12
Thats a hard one, cause there are gen-like daytona reps out there, but I heard their movement isn't reliable. They still haven't developed a reliable chronograph movement with running seconds at 6.
My best bet for a reliable, most-gen-like daytona would be the quartz chronographs.
You can check my post here:
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/there-such-thing-95443

ah, i read that last bight actually. it was very intersting and what i based my daytona comments on about finding a good gen looking rep. thanks for the help on this. i dont care about the chronograph since my iphone can time thing lol i mainly liked the "fancy" look to it.

My first "passable" rep was the SS sub with an Asian 2836-2 clone movement.

At first I was in the A21j movement phase, but to someone who know how a rolex ticks will know the moment they set eyes on it.

this is a real noob stupid question probable But ill ask it anyways since i gotta learn it..

how do i know if the watch i like has a Asian 2836-2 clone movement as opposed to a different type? all the ones ive looked at so far say "swiss or asian" not that detailed unless im blind and not looking in the right spots.

also does this Asian 2836-2 clone movement cost allot more then the standards? i dont mind paying more for high quality.. i just dont want to pay more for junk if you know what i mean (Not saying that is junk). id hate to pay $200 for a watch and get it and just toss it in the trash can. if you say this movement is worth it i believe you and would love more info on it if possible.

im so lost in this it isnt funny and my heads spinning like crazy.

thank you for the help in this.

---------------------------

also are the Only dealers you guys recommend on this forum in the dealer section? i found this site (not sure if this is allowed and if it isnt im sorry and ill delete the url) amatory-store.com and they have a nice selection and what im "looking" for i *think* but would love more feed back if possible. id hate to be ripped off and just want a good buying experience and a great replica watch that looks gen.

Thanks again all.

Tommy Wiseau

Renowned Member
13/3/11
The Room
In this first vid, its a 21J rep vs Gen the blue sub is an a21J Movement. Notice the sweep is choppy. It runs at a slower beat per second compared to the gen http://youtu.be/98UgzUQo37o

Heres a vid of an Asian 2836-2 with the same Beat per second like a gen.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8PtKOZ13rQ"]ROLEX SUB ASIA-2836ç¶é¢ç¶çœŸé™¶-æ–°4 - YouTube[/ame]

as for price wise you can get them from puretime or the mabye in the sales part in the forum. I picked up mine from the sales forum and its still kicking ass!

GOOD LUCK!

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
Fila, search "daytona" in this forum and start reading. You should study up some before buying a Daytona. First, it has an asian clone of the 7750 chronograph movement. Even with the gen 7750 you are talking $200 minimum for a service. The fact that the quality control on the Chinese movements is shakey (a new 7750 rep movement may need a cleaning). Don't mess with 7750s if you are on a budget.

The second complication is that the common "seconds @ 9" 7750 movement is known for terrible reliability. A noob should stay away from that unless you really know what you might be getting yourself into.

With subs, I honestly think that the asian 21j movement is just fine. First, it's super cheap so you can get a decent sub from Timeshops for under $100. There are so few people in the world that would be able to call you out because of a "low beat" movement that it is really not a concern. And, so what if they did. Just say, yeah, it's a nice replica - I'd never pay $5K for a Rolex!

Check these out:

http://timeshops.net/214-submariner

I have the $55 version with the green bezel. It's a great watch! I'm not sure if the high beat 2836 version is worth an extra $90. If you want more heft get the Sub ceramic or look at the Deep Sea.

I'd recommend to noobs to get their feet wet at the low end of the spectrum. The cases are the same as the more expensive ones. You just aren't buying a "swiss" movement or a 3135 clone movement.

Also, remember that all the pics and videos you see on the forums show the watch enlarged 3, 4, or 5X normal. Lots of little details like the beat aren't easily seen when the watch is on your wrist.

jstreit

Renowned Member
18/1/12
I would not purchase from amatory especially if they only post pics of the GEN watches as this is no help for you. The daytona is a nice looking watch, but if you are looking for a nice looking chrono thats "fancy" lol go with AP ROO they have some great looking pieces. In the rolex spectrum I prefer the DSSD as it is a little more unique in the real world and no many people have them.
ro0151-rolex-deep-sea-dweller-ceramic-ultimate-blue-lume-asian-clone-2836-2.jpg

fila

Horology Curious
16/2/12
how are Datejust II from timeshops? here are a few im looking at but to my newbie eye they all look the same and the main difference is the cost of them, any help would be Greatly appreciated. or if you think im making a mistake with any of these please let me know. i really want the 2 tone bracelet (my main thing im looking for in looks) and hopefully a white dial.

Thanks again for the help you guys are great.

http://timeshops.net/10466-ro8970x4-rolex-datejust-white-dial-tt-yg-ss-asian-2836-2-28800bph.html <-- $198

http://timeshops.net/9761-ro7650f-r...l-stick-tt-yg-ss-aaa-asian-21j-automatic.html <-- $88 (only)

to me the only thing different is the movement or i may be wrong since im new to all this. any suggestion would be awsome! :)

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
In my opinion the ones you read about that whine about a "light" bracelet have most likely never have held or wore a gen Rolex. I have had several gen Rolex's, oyster and jubilee bracelets and most decent rep rolex bracelets are pretty darn close. Don't base your opinion on bracelets on a noobs post that really donesn't KNOW rolex reps well. The newer SEL oyster bracelets are with in a few grams of the gen, but sometimes they need some wear time and some oil softening to be great. By no means are they as bad as the unknowing noob rep buyer claims....period. The noob'mariner's breacelet is pretty much spot on.

jstreit

Renowned Member
18/1/12
Have you looked into the Yacht Masters? They have the set up you are looking for two tones and white dials.

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
I'd personally stay away from gold reps. Nobody reps solid gold well IMO.

fila

Horology Curious
16/2/12
I'd personally stay away from gold reps. Nobody reps solid gold well IMP.

that is what i was worried about, i just love how the two tone looks.. what is the main problem with the fake gold? the color? does it tarnish? i love the look but if itll give the watch away as a fake right away i have no problem ditching that idea if needed for a more gen look. just a little more info on why the gold "bad" please.

Thanks again for the great advice

fila

Horology Curious
16/2/12
ok these are my final stupid questions and ill make my choice i guess.. after receiving a ton of valuable information from you great people ive narrowed it down to a submariner.. Now.. im staying away from TT.. but my questions are this...

1) what is a ceramic bezel and are they worth it?

2) what is the difference in the 2836 movement and the 3135 movement?

and here are the 4 final watches im picking from i guess. can anyone help me make the "right" descision please or know of a blue dial non TT submariner for sale (i now like the blue dial after looking at it)

http://timeshops.net/6416-rwi-promo...er-black-ss-noobfactory-asian-copy-2836-.html <-- $120 for 2836 movement

http://timeshops.net/6417-rwi-promo...iner-black-ss-noobfactory-swiss-eta-2836.html <-- $203 for 2836 swiss movement

http://timeshops.net/6426-rwi-promo...dial-ceramic-bezel-ss-ss-asian-copy-2836.html <-- $147 2836 movement jap with ceramic bezel

http://timeshops.net/6418--rwi-prom...ory-asian-copy-swiss-rolex-3135-movement.html <-- $220 with 3135 movement..

all these watches are SS and black faces.. other then that i have no idea what is what and what is best to buy as a complete newbie here.. to me they are all the "same" and id hate to get ripped off or feel bad for my first watch purchase. all ideas and help is truly appreciated and i hopefully one day can return the favor!

Thanks again!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Up until last month I would have recommended #1, but I now would suggest #3.

I'm digging the bigger case and ceramic bezel.

IMAG1524.jpg

jstreit

Renowned Member
18/1/12
I believe the 3135 is a jazzed up ETA to look like a gen rolex movement with all the writings and insignia. That is what I have gathered.

fila

Horology Curious
16/2/12
Thank you Q5 but in red it has some info about the Lume. Does that matter? I am starting to love this forum and hope I can help other here soon

I'm referring to my third link btw that was also my favorite

jstreit

Renowned Member
18/1/12
I think number three is a nice choice and you should be happy with it for a while... until that urge strikes again lol. Dont forget to get it serviced though if you want it to last forever!

if you dont like the lume, there are some great watch people on here that relume subs all the time and mod them lol

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
negatory the original 3135 was a jazzed up a2824 to look likea 3135 with stickers and what not,,,,the new sa3135 is a completely redisigned movement, closer to a gen 3135 in function and size but not asthetics really i.e. pink gears etc...the thing with the sa3135 is some have issues with stem breakage and say its not worth the extra money....yet. I have a YM Rolesium with an sa3135 and it is a stunning watch to say the least but I would NOT recommend it for a noob purchase....ou have a PM with my suggestion on what I would buy...good luck

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
Get the one for $120 or $147 with A2836.

The ceramic sub is a completely different model of sub - larger by 2mm, ceramic bezel, and glide lock bracelet. Go to Rolex.com and do some homework.