• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

So, What Do You Think??

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

Hi, Gang!

Changed the straps on my "vintage" Comex from the nato to rubber straps ordered from Olbe on eBay. I didn't like the nato, but I thought I'd ask you mates for your opinions on the two straps. Thanks. dave:

NATO STRAP

Alpha_Straps001.jpg

Alpha_Straps002.jpg

Alpha_Straps003.jpg

Alpha_Straps004.jpg

RUBBER/SILICON WATERPROFF STRAP

Alpha_Straps005.jpg

Alpha_Straps006.jpg

Alpha_Straps007.jpg

Alpha_Straps008.jpg

Alpha_Straps009.jpg

Alpha_Straps010.jpg

countit

22/5/10
Hi, Gang!

Changed the straps on my "vintage" Comex from the nato to rubber straps ordered from Olbe on eBay. I didn't like the nato, but I thought I'd ask you mates for your opinions on the two straps. Thanks. dave:

You can never go wrong with the old ORANGE AND BLACK, bbphrog! Looks great!

images

D

d4m.test

Thanks to all for taking the time to review the straps. I always have trouble with the nato's strap staying inside the last loop; no matter what I do, the end strap always pops back up like an orange and black finger. COUNTIT and NICKSON127: Thanks for the advice; I'll alternarte the two straps; MIKE8; Thanks! To BOOSTIN20: the bezel came with the watch; sorry to say it's not gen, which would have really made my day!

dave

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Looks better than the disaster I saw in the sales section- Sea-Dweller case, Sub Comex dial with the 600ft on the wrong side...

I also like it with the black and orange. :)

D

d4m.test

Looks better than the disaster I saw in the sales section- Sea-Dweller case, Sub Comex dial with the 600ft on the wrong side...

heh! I learn something new here everyday; looks like I'll have to use the black-and-orange nato more than the siliconerubber... .

Thanks, TB & others.

dave
:conga:

nr73

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/9/11
I prefer the NATO to be honest, it suits it much better and sets the markers off nicely.

I would also try a black NATO, possibly a 2mm oversized one like I used on the Alpha, it added some shape around the lugs.

D

d4m.test

Thanks, Neil; you're in the majority on this so I'll probably put the black-and-orange nato back on. I want to try to be stylish, heh!

dave
:lol:

I prefer the NATO to be honest, it suits it much better and sets the markers off nicely.

I would also try a black NATO, possibly a 2mm oversized one like I used on the Alpha, it added some shape around the lugs.

S.E.W

Looking Around
25/7/11
The comex dial with 600ft on wrong side...

No, it's not on the wrong side!! It's called a meters first, and on a vintage sub it means about 20% more value. Rolex made many Subs, many the same model with very little differences, they are typically called transitional models. I collected vintage Rolex for many years, and I currently still buy and sell them to make a little extra money....Buying myself a authentic vintage Omega PloProf 600m in two months, it's a retirement investment.

I've owned two Authentic red subs, one authentic Comex 5513, and my last one was a never worn 168000"triple Zero Sub" the most limited model made, it was a 16800, but as they were retooling for the next model they started to add some of the new features, such as upgrading the steel and using white gold for the nipple markers, the one I had was with box, anchor, tags and even a blank certificate, sold it to a dealer for his personal collection, and made a quick $3200 profit.....My prick father just purchased himself a Bond 5508 (mint), it's so clean and new in appearance, it actually is looking like a fake, a $22,000 watch and it look fake, funny as hell.

The biggest problem with these vintage replica watches is the printing on the dials, it's too crisp, shiny and flat, then the markers being yellow/orange? WTF is that all about:stir: if the markers and hands are meant to look aged with patina, then why is the comex print and Rolex print still so white, it should be a little off white, you can't have two extremes on the dial, the correct marker would be very matte and almost look like white toothpaste screened on. The bezel insert/pearl is obviously wrong for that model, but you can get the correct acrylic one on ebay. You should age the case and the dial, less perfect will make it more believable, but to anyone who has a clue it looks like a fake within seconds of seeing it. Sorry, I mean no disrespect to you or your watch, there are things that need to be done to get it closer to the authentic, and that is it needs to look distressed.

I make Homage watches as a hobby, it's fun to toy around with them and make something new and then age it 60yrs or 30yrs, it's exciting to be so detailed in replication, but without brand marking. I'm making a 60mm PAM, I will be acid treating the case to age it, salt and Vinegar and bleach mix for rusting, the the case in a rock tumbler, leather strap will be treated with rubbing alcohol and grease for wear, replacing the crystal with plexi, hand making a new pearl insert.....I'm also buying a authentic Angelus 240 movement for it, which is an investment for retirement again.

Guys, Authentic Vintage Datejust are selling for $800-$1200, and then the Authentic Omega seamasters are selling for under $500, a 1960's Omega Seamaster 300m sold for $1300 last week on ebay, and a 1970's Omega speedmaster Chrono sold for $1100....AAA+ replica's are selling for $400-550, do you see a problem with this, I do!!:frusty:

D

d4m.test

No disrepect understood & accepted; and thanks for the lesson. You're simply doing what a good RWI member would do if there was an irregularity. Despite the post count, I'm still a noob who's slowly learning the finer points of reps, esp. vintages -- of which I know NOTHING. Personally, I could care less if the COMEX screams FAKE to the experts like yourself; I like it so I wear it, counting on the "99.999%" who don't know diddley. But, I agree with you on the coloring on the hour markers. I know that I DON'T AGE THAT GRACEFULLY & symmetrically either. Heh!

dave

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
Who said noobs know nothing?

That was a great post S.E.W, fair play to you and noob you most certainly are not!

You should post more. The forum would benefit greatly judging by that reply. :)

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
No, it's not on the wrong side!! ...

You're awesome. Although I am aware of transitional versions, I thought I took enough time to research that dial before making the comment. The fact that I couldn't find it with the amount of research I did means it is a rather rare version. I stand corrected.

Regarding vintage processing, I have no doubt that many of us would love to see and read some tutorials on your treatments. I'm really hoping to see what you have done and how you do it.

Thanks again for correcting me, I don't relish being wrong, but I do appreciate learning much more! :)

Almost forgot to post this idea for the Nato...

364281d1293107288-sexiest-vostok-amphibia-you-will-ever-see-dscf2241b-690x549.jpg

D

d4m.test

RE: ThinkBach and S.E.W.: So glad I can contibute SOMETHING to this forum and its members! heh! :lol:

dave

permare000

1/2/12
Hi Dave... I'm new to the forum - so new it still hurts my head. Gotta say I love your Comex. While it might not be "more" authentic the stark contrasts between the white lettering and orange indices on the black background look fantastic. Wear it well and often I say. Understand I'm still learning the "code of the forum" but is it okay to ask where you picked up this great looking time piece - personal sale or dealer? They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery and I want one too!

Thanks... DAVE

D

d4m.test

WELCOME!!

Welcome to the Forum of the BEST rep site on the Web, Permare! You'll learn a lot here from many members who will be happy to offer guidance, advice, encouragement, and feedback. When in doubt about something: ASK, esp. in "General Discussions" or "Flamefree."

I honestly DON'T RECALL where I picked this up, but it WAS from a TD -- probably Lay @ replicamade, Mark @ Timeshops.net, or maybe even Michelle @ silix-prime.com, for under $100 USD. A lot of members will encourage you to criuise the TDs to look for the watch you want; regardless of the TD you choose, you'll be ok, as these dealers are TRUSTED for a reason.

Again, welcome, look, search, ask, explore, have fun; and, of course, BUY (which you'll do a lot of; this hobby is addictive). Then, of course, WRIST PICS of your latest treasure. (Uh, sorry for the long dissertation -- retired history prof... .)

dave :lol:

Hi Dave... I'm new to the forum - so new it still hurts my head. Gotta say I love your Comex. While it might not be "more" authentic the stark contrasts between the white lettering and orange indices on the black background look fantastic. Wear it well and often I say. Understand I'm still learning the "code of the forum" but is it okay to ask where you picked up this great looking time piece - personal sale or dealer? They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery and I want one too!

Thanks... DAVE

permare000

1/2/12
Many thanks Dave for the feedback - greatly appreciated when sage words come forward. I'll check out those TDs to see what's what. Not to worry about the dissertation as I'm a former history major and sat on the other side of the lectern...