• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob submariner Crystal replacement

Dimar

Known Member
10/12/11
Guys, I was hoping to find out if there is a solution to the noob sub crystal. I am not looking for one with a crown or a cyclops, just a replacement. I can set the cyclops myself and really do not care about the crown. Any suggesetions on where I can find one? Super appreciate it!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Maybe he already has the cyclops(Gen)?

I would be interested in getting one to have AR'd and swap it in my ProjectX. :thumbsup:

Dimar

Known Member
10/12/11
Well, I had a watchmaker friend replace the cyclops on my noob sub. In doing so he got a piece of something stuck under the cyclops, which ended up scratching the crystal. So, now it magnifies the Scratch! I know how to do the work, but wanted help a friend out with some work. I wasn't going to buy a bunch of crystals for a $50 watch. Rsh how's it hanging? Your the noob expert good to see u saw the post.

Thanks for the advice.

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
Dimar
I dont know of a replacement besides another noob crystal. The closest I had seen was from raffles-time on ebay, the crystal was like 30.4 and 29.5 or something similar. There is no clark replacement at all. Bummer about the scratch. I do suspect that perhaps the crystal is still OK since it is sapphire and hard to scratch. Maybe remove the cyclops and inspect at that time.

Dimar

Known Member
10/12/11
I let out a tear when I checked the date. Rsh, thanks for the tip. I will head to the bay, and track down the crystal. Just wondering do you know which size is correct? Thanks guys!

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
I think it is something like this, except the upper part has a bevel, ask raffles time if he still has this. Hope it is right.
crystal1.jpg

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
I just popped a crystal on a vintage noob case- ID at the bottom was 29.1mm and top was 30.5, with a bevel on the top edge as rsh mentioned. My chinese calipers are decent- fresh battery- when you repress the crystal back in, it's a compression fit. My noob cased 16800 franken does well in water- much better than my 16660 matte dial SD with a 29.5 straight crystal.

tamango

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/11/09
Have you thought about the possibility of buying a new noob with a 21j mov? it will be cheap and you will have a lot of spares :)

rgrds

Dimar

Known Member
10/12/11
Guys, great advice all around. I did decide to get another 21j from TS. Sadly the raffles-times guy wasnt going to have any until april. I have a few projects I could use the parts as backups on a few items, plus the bracelet. I thought about asking mark at TS if he had one he could send me.

Love the feedback

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
That had to something very dense and sharp to scratch a sapphire crystal..........??
I've removed and reinstalled many cyclops'......I would have thought the UV glue would have filled in the scratch...?? Are you sure a scratch in the crystal under the cyclop is what you're seeing ??