• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My new Gen Rolex 1675 + Black Insert + Drano = Sex

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
Got it Tuesday and been wearing it ever since.

The dealer threw in a nice mint black insert and with some helpful advice from a couple friendly modders I artifically aged it. Yes... I was scared shitless while doing it but I love faded inserts and it's quiet rare to see a 1675 (or any GMT Master for that matter) that has a black faded insert. I absolutely love it. This is THE keeper for sure. I say that all the time but this one for some reason feels special. It literally feels like I am wearing history. Beyond the Rolex history I always wonder where this watch has been... I mean it's 40 years old!

Anyways, enjoy some quick pics.

Oh and I forgot... Aging the insert was the first mod I have ever personally done. Feels good. :)

0cd3a386.jpg

25b53d57.jpg

23838559.jpg

a9123ee9.jpg

fbce2335.jpg

1419db79.jpg

chisin

Renowned Member
18/8/10
Stunning. Not just post-whoring here. I mean it. Absolutely stunning. And the condition of the case looks immaculate for a watch that old.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
What a beauty! In my view, vintage is always the way to go with these. They have so much character. Congratulations!!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Very nice, this is one Rolex I would buy the gen of.

frodostar

I'm Pretty Popular
7/10/10
Something about a watch you have personally done something to makes it just that little bit more special, especially when its a gen rolly!! fair play for having a go at the mod as it was your first attempt, and thanks for sharing pics.

phillycheez

6/6/09
What a beauty! In my view, vintage is always the way to go with these. They have so much character. Congratulations!!

Character indeed. Top Hat Crystal, Silver open 6 and 9s datewheel, matte dial, matching tritium dial and hands... even simplicity of the movement feels vintage in setting the time, and the way it ticks and the date just instantaneously turns over (I seriously love watching that moment!).

Thanks all for the comments.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Winning look, philly! But when it comes to GMT, I'm more of a Jubilee guy, myself! :)

rol_man

Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
That is a beautiful vintage timepiece and I agree, something about vintage that holds a certain mystery as to where it's been. If you ever get tired of it, let me know as I have a nice sub rep I'd be happy to trade! :whistle:

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
If you ever get tired of it, let me know as I have a nice sub rep I'd be happy to trade! :whistle:

I've seen some nutty sums paid for WM9s recently, but philly's always seemed pretty sensible to me. :lol:

phillycheez

6/6/09
Winning look, philly! But when it comes to GMT, I'm more of a Jubilee guy, myself! :)

Yeah, I'm digging the Rolex vintage now. More subtle, more stealthy, and imho... more class than the newer models.

Your pics and collection over the years have definitely influenced me in one way or another to finally land on this 1675.

maxlawbr

27/9/06
Stunning philly, fantastic piece and pics and nice work with the bezel insert.

Congrats, wear it well.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Not a rollie fan, but this one looks really nice. I like most the pepsi (do i say it correct?) insert. Nothing beats the gen!

phillycheez

6/6/09
I am pretty sure this is the real deal. Philly is a man of impeccable taste!

Thanks tommy! yup its a gen alright. I've done lots of homework on this one beforehand and its been checked out (twice!) and pressure tested. The guys at watchworks here in Portland told me whoever had this before took great care of it and its amazing condition which made me extremely happy. There was some specks of tritium on the dial and crystal so I had them clean it all out. As of now it gains maybe .3 seconds a day as it gained almost 1 second since Tuesday.... Quiet phenomenal for a watch so old. :)

Bigjule111

Renowned Member
1/3/11
Nj
I figured it was. Some posts made it seem like it was a Franken. Congrats again my friend. Sure is a clean 1675. Hey if u ever want to swap bands let me no. I have a Gen vintage jubilee on my Franken 1675 :)

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
That is a truly beautiful piece - just bought a rep of the same watch - very jealous.....!! ;)

-OW

rsea

6/1/11
Have you decided to sell this yet?
I'm patiently waiting :D