• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Semi-Autos and women

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Not to be sexist, but nearly every woman I know has issues racking the slide on a full sized semi auto.
I've tried to teach Audra the best ways I know to do it, but she still strains sometimes. Speaking to those of you that have had the same issue with the women in your life, how did you help them get over it? Even though she's having an easier time with the Glock than any of the others, I'd still like to help her be confident that if she needs to use it, she's not going to grunt and groan just to get a round in the chamber.
I have a few options:

#1 Teach her the "Overhand Slingshot". I never use it, but I've heard it's easier for weaker people to manipulate the slide with this method.
#2 Get her a smaller caliber pistol. Since smaller caliber pistols utilize a weaker recoil spring it would be easier for her to rack. I hate to do this though, because I want her to be confident that if she puts a couple well placed rounds in an intruder he's going down, and I just don't have faith in most small caliber rounds in the hands of a novice.
#3 Get her a revolver. This is probably the easiest solution, but there are a few issues with it too. Low round count, harder recoil (since all of the gasses are used to propel the projectile, as opposed to the function of the slide as well).

A few other things I'm thinking that may help that I'd like input on:
#1 Leave a round in the chamber. I hate the idea of this with a pistol with no REAL safety mechanism, especially with a baby on the way. Plus this doesn't help if she has a malfunction, and needs to clear a round.
#2 A 2 stage recoil spring. I'm trying to figure out if these actually make it easier to rack the slide. If so it may be the best option.
#3 And this one is my least favorite. Leave the slide locked back, with the magazines close. One of my friends leaves his wife's pistol this way, so that if she needs it she can put in a mag, and hit the slide release and have a loaded pistol, but I HATE this idea. Not only does this add too many variables, but you also STILL have the problem that if she has a malfunction she may not be able to clear it herself.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I really trust a few of you guys when it comes to your opinion. What is your solution to the issue, if you've encountered it? If you did indeed opt for a smaller caliber, or revolver which did you choose?

Thanks guys.

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Just a quick idea....
Have her hold the slide over the top with her weak hand and push forward from the grip with her strong hand. I have found that this is the easiest way to have someone with weaker hands chamber a round in a semi-auto. The other choice would be to buy her one of the Beretta's in .22/.25/.32/.380 that has a tip up barrel.
Revolvers are not a bad option if paired up with the proper ammunition for the weapon. Look at sticking with 110grn +p/+p+ hp's in the short barrels, but upgrade the firing mechanism with a Woolf spring kit to make the trigger pull more managable.
With a quality double action semi-auto keeping a round chambered is not really a safety issue. If she has a light strike on the first round just teach her to "tap, rack, bang" immediately. But this all really depends on what is selected as her defense piece. In all honesty I would recommend that you buy something specifically for her that she "likes" and is most comfortable with. My wife has her own P32, Glock 26, and pump shotgun for personal and home defense.

Phil G

29/9/10
Stevenage, Hertfortshire, England
Just my 2 cents worth Mr Y.

Have you looked at the "Lady Smith" revolvers? Or other Smiths?

They do 8 and 10 shot revolvers. I would have a revolver over a semi any day of the week. I have owned and shot 92f Beretta, 45 AMT Longslide and a Colt Gold Cup but still prefere the reliability of a revolver.

Thought any more about reloading? Going to save at least 70% of your costs and tailor the ammunition to your liking. Try a Dillon or Lee.

Good luck, Phil :)

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
I picked her up a cocking handle for her glock slide at the range, and she's racking it like a pro now. Thanks for your input guys. A revolver was going to be my next step, but with the proven reliability of the Glock I really didn't want to get something different when she has 60 rounds at her fingertips in the 4 clips I have. God forbid, she'll never need that many, but she has them if she does.
I am thinking about reloading, Phil. I've been buying Blazer Brass rounds, and saving all of the casings in hopes that some day I'll have the funds to start trying.
Thanks again, guys.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Hey B,

Got the idea shortly after this thread was up. Just managed to to get it done after dinner this evening. Hope Audra can find this useful. I asked Lynette to do the demo for her benefit.

My first "published" YouTube video. Made it with my iPhone. Not a hell of a lot of production value as we whipped this up in about 5 minutes after a couple of "takes". Again, I hope this helps, in particular with making sure the gun is safe or clearing a malfunction.

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY9D5duPV9w&feature=g-upl&context=G2c69daeAUAAAAAAAAAA[/AME]

Kinda' fun. Needs some polish, maybe more specifics but, it's giving me some more ideas too.

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Your wife manipulates the slide a lot more easily than mine. I taught audra the reverse slingshot, while using her hip for leverage (sounds sexual), and she still can't manage every time.
I think I'm going to have to get her a revolver :(
Thanks, G. :)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
With a quality double action semi-auto keeping a round chambered is not really a safety issue.

Sure but it is with a bloody Glock! Why are you guys so obsessed with Glocks?
There is no way known to man I would leave a round chambered in a Glock, I have seen enough inquests in my time to know I don't enjoy them and if the subject is a dead loved one or the neighbour's kid they are even worse I should imagine.

Answer, buy her a wheel gun in 38 super and maybe a couple of speed loaders.
Not that she will need them for you know as well as I that the type of confrontation she is facing the possibility of will be over in well under six shots.

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
That's the kind of thing I was talking about, Col. The only way I would leave a Glock with one chambered is if it were in a holster, that way there's at least one safety step. Call me old fashioned, but if you can grab it an pull the trigger, and fire it it's not "safe" regardless of the trigger mechanism. lol

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
On another note, I do like my Glocks, but I don't thinks they are a weapon for people who aren't confident around firearms.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
On another note, I do like my Glocks, but I don't thinks they are a weapon for people who aren't confident around firearms.

Nope, not at all. They gave them to our cops and a couple of them shoot themselves (or another cop) every damn year. The Beretta 92 would have been a far better choice for people who simply don't get near enough range time to be totally expert in their use.

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Thats why I gave my wife my SIG until I find a suitable small handgun for her. I have a round chambered, but it's in my holster, de-cocked, with the strap snapped over the hammer. If she needs it she can get it out easily, but she isn't doing to AD it by fumbling around in her nightstand drawer. LoL
At the very least I'd have to have a Mic holster on any glock I was leaving for her. Just something to cover the trigger. It's amazing to me how persistent people are to automatically put their finger inside the trigger guard the second they grasp a handgun (long guns too for that matter).

Phil G

29/9/10
Stevenage, Hertfortshire, England
I think I'm going to have to get her a revolver :( :)

Unfortunately British law does not give us a right to self defence. We can only use 'minimum force'.

Handguns were never allowed for self defence in recent years, only sporting use. These were effectively banned in 1997 following the shooting at Dunblane where a number of children were murdered by a madman.

Anyway, if I had to choose a handgun for my wife for self defence it would be a revolver. If she was more proficient with handguns then I'd maybe choose a semi auto.

Most importantly she must feel comfortable with the gun, not intimidated with it. Grip size, barrel length must suit her. My choice would be 38spl or maybe a 22 revolver because of the shot count. Some Smith 22's hold 10 rounds. Some Lady Smiths only 5 rds in 38.

I don't think there's any advantage in using anything but 38spl. 357 needs extra shot recovery time and your ears would be ring for a week. :lol:

Let's hope she never needs to use in defence.

Good luck, Phil

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...load/images/firearms/zoom_lg/160222_01_lg.jpg

Zoom

103810_01_lg.jpg

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Honestly, if you or your loved one(s) follow these four rules it won't matter what they use/have to defend themselves-

1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
  2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
  4. Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

There have been many, many accidental shootings/ND's throughout the years with revolvers/semi-autos by both "trained" and untrained individuals. More than a few door knobs and light switches have fallen victim to LE's/private citizens who thought that their weapon was unloaded.

Many friends, enemies, family pets, etc have been injured or killed by breaking rule #2 (and see above in regards to rule #1).

Rule #3, well...... I have only known a handful of individuals who were issued DA/SA semi-autos that actually planned to discharge a weapon into the floor/dirt in front of them prior to engaging a live/aggressive target (in order to gain a SA shot immediately after). These individuals have spent their lives in the shit and "live by the sword".

Number 4 is a bit more difficult but can be followed/planned for with something as simple as proper training (shoot center mass, don't engage without a clear shot in front and behind the intended target), as well as ammunition selection (keep in mind that many HP loads can/will over penetrate depending on barrier, clothing, non-center mass hits).

I suggest taking her to a range that offers "rentals", and let her try a whole bunch of things until she finds what she hits with best, and flat out likes. That will be the first step in giving her confidence to use/employ a weapon for defensive purposes.

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
All great points, 1 that I haven't yet taught her already. Thanks IDK.
Main problem now it she just hates shooting every pistol I put in front of her. 38 special, .40, .45, .50, 7.62, .50 (g.i., not a.e. lol).
She loves shooting my .223 and my parents .22. Maybe I should just get her a Jennings .22 pocket pistol. lol
Either that, or I'm going to have to build her an SBR AR. lol

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
I'm all for the SBR, totally love my 10" piston tack driver (no DI vs piston argument please, I own a midlength DI SPR that I built also). If all else fails get her a Beretta 21A in .22 and load it up with CCI Stingers. It is DA/SA, has a manual safety (though extremely small), and a tip up barrel for loading the first round. If you can get her into a bigger caliber with the big brother of the 21A, the Tomcat in .32 (but load it with FMJ for penetration).

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I was held up with a .22 short by a punk kid trying to take my bank bag.
I did something completely stupid but I sized the situation up and realized this was likely his first time robbing someone. I asked him to hold on for a second as I needed to show him something that was life or death, I slowly pulled out my Beretta 8000D 9mm in a non threatening manner and then put it back. I told him that he was going to shoot me with his .22 and piss me off, it would sting real bad, then I would shoot him in the head and he would die. I told him I was not giving him my bank bag and that if he left I would act like nothing happened. He left.. I went home and changed my under shorts. It was really stupid for me to do that, I should have just gave him the money and let him go on his way.

My point is that I would never give someone a .22 for personal protection. My wife owns a .38 special and I am soon upgrading that to a SW .357 with laser grip.

I carry my Glock 30 (.45acp) without one chambered unless I know I'm going into a "situation". I only now do this as I am lightning fast on chambering a round but that took a lot of practice.

If you want a gun to keep around the house, dont buy a pistol , buy a 12 gauge shot gun. :)

I feel bad for our friends in the UK and Europe. Many have grown up being taught that guns are evil and people who own them shouldn't. People said that when Michigan passed it's concealed weapons law that we would have people dead in the streets as a result. The only thing that has happened is that we have criminals thinking twice about robbing people. :)
Also, deer hunters are not restricted like they used to be when they wanted to bring a side arm into the field.