• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex DSSD Mods

leetay

Known Member
28/12/08
Hi All

My mate has got a DSSD of BK, and he wants to mod it further, re-lume etc, so, who do you guys recommend to do the mods? And what can be done to make this a close to Gen as possible.

Also, I see AR mentioned loads, what is this and is it worth doing??

Cheers

5up3rman

Renowned Member
4/12/10
i don't believe the gen has AR, in fact not sure any rolex's do.
lume is probably the first thing to do.
i believe another mod could be to give the dial a matt look.
the pearl mod is also gonna be something which would be worth looking into.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
1. AR the back of the crystal, helps reduce distortion
2. Lume is a good idea
3. Don't matte the dial

rolex_deepsea_dial_reflection_full.jpg

4. I may have missed something but don't expect a lot from the pearl mod

leetay

Known Member
28/12/08
Thanks ThinkBachs

Are the gens AR on the rear of the crystal do you know?

Why do you say not to Matte the dial?

1. AR the back of the crystal, helps reduce distortion
2. Lume is a good idea
3. Don't matte the dial

rolex_deepsea_dial_reflection_full.jpg

4. I may have missed something but don't expect a lot from the pearl mod

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
If i had that rep the last thing that bothered me would be the AR...

If you want to do that right find better dial markers and insert for the DSSD..
BK's is a good base but if you want to take it in a higher level, the jobs i told you are necessary...Not my 2c..Just the truth...

leetay

Known Member
28/12/08
PBDAD is the man for mods on BKDSSD

How do you contact PBDAD, I have tried doing a search but cannot find him??

I have found pbdad, but he is not receiving PM's so in not contactable. Has anyone used goin6633 for mods, he is listed on the Modders section??

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
PBdad is not a modder here, you will need to travel to the wilds of RepGeek to find him.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Rolex AR: Rolex does not AR the crystals, but the quality of the rep crystals has been improved by adding AR to the underside of them. Having the back side of a date mag also makes a big difference- regardless of the source including a gen Rolex version.

Rolex Dial: I say NOT to matte the dial because there are so many dials that are glossy. There's been a great deal of debate about this, I included a gen photo for evidence. I have yet to see a matte modded dial that didn't look horrible.

PBdad: He has some talent, but doing lume is not one of them. You're better off leaving the lume as is than have it redone poorly.

Goin: Generally does a nice job, though he did ruin a watch I sent him by forgetting to include the O-ring on the caseback. Be sure to send a reminder to whoever does your work to grease the rings. Sometimes these guys can be too hasty to put things back together.

leetay

Known Member
28/12/08
Thanks ThinkBachs

I'm even more confused now haha, I'll get my mate to join and get in conversation with Goin

Think I'll tell him to go to Goin for AR, Re-lume and Pearl, along with WR Mod, as he does that to 5ATM

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
I was at my Rolex dealer yesterday and the DSSD I looked at DID NOT have a matte dial. It was a semi reflective surface, same as what I have on my BK DSSD.

Rolex AR: Rolex does not AR the crystals, but the quality of the rep crystals has been improved by adding AR to the underside of them. Having the back side of a date mag also makes a big difference- regardless of the source including a gen Rolex version.

Rolex Dial: I say NOT to matte the dial because there are so many dials that are glossy. There's been a great deal of debate about this, I included a gen photo for evidence. I have yet to see a matte modded dial that didn't look horrible.

PBdad: He has some talent, but doing lume is not one of them. You're better off leaving the lume as is than have it redone poorly.

Goin: Generally does a nice job, though he did ruin a watch I sent him by forgetting to include the O-ring on the caseback. Be sure to send a reminder to whoever does your work to grease the rings. Sometimes these guys can be too hasty to put things back together.