• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken Grail Sub-C build has begun!

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
Build it, but with that case you'd be more accurate with the 16610 metal bezel.

Then do a ceramic one after!

agrigoras

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/8/10
He could be wrong...
"should" doesn't really inspire too much confidence.

Guess we'll find out. Good luck with your project, sounds like a fun one.

sneed12?

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/11
BK has stated to me that a gen ceramic bezel insert will fit. Which is one of many reasons I chose his as a base.
"His" is a Noobfactory Sub-C, it's not like he personally builds those cases. It will have misaligned rehaut engraving. IMO, there are better cases available (like the ones DarthAlex and I both used for our builds).

There's a difference between fit and "fit." There needs to be correct interplay between a lot of pieces for something to really fit correctly.

BillyMac

1/11/10
I can't believe the replies to my posting. Smoking crack, horrible eyesight, maybe they forgot! FFS guys, I am just attempting to help the original poster, at no point did I diss anyone, I have a BK sub and was only giving an opinion.

Anyhoo, here are some pics I have taken today. I only have a canon ixus 220hs compact and the pics are as good as I can get them.

Apart from the grime! (it is an every day wearer) let me know what you think ;)

0c46b87b.jpg

44981321.jpg

d1b11017.jpg

a66802db.jpg

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
Hope it ends up well..We are talking about a seriously expensive project!!Good luck with it..I am looking forward to pictures!!

rsh

3/4/10
I can't believe the replies to my posting. Smoking crack, horrible eyesight, maybe they forgot! FFS guys, I am just attempting to help the original poster, at no point did I diss anyone, I have a BK sub and was only giving an opinion.

a66802db.jpg

OK, you tried to help, but what you did is a little bit like telling a fat kid he is not fat, after someone called him fat to make him feel better. That crown is easy to spot, even when not on a huge screen. I initially posted that the crystal for such a build may not be desirable. It is obvious this guy will spend somewhere north of $1000-1500, perhaps more on a very expensive build and then to have that crown be spottable from 12 inches is very bad. You say, 12 inches, no one will spot it on your wrist....by that same argument, why the hell would you spend more than $150 for an asian eta clone version of the 116610 from timeshops if that distance is all that you care about ?

BillyMac

1/11/10
OK, you tried to help, but what you did is a little bit like telling a fat kid he is not fat, after someone called him fat to make him feel better. ( Not really, if I thought he was fat I'd tell him so! Just like the crown on my BK, I think it is difficult to see, that's all I said) That crown is easy to spot, even when not on a huge screen. (it's not, I already told you! I took ages to get the pics showing the crown, but pics don't alway tell the full story) I initially posted that the crystal for such a build may not be desirable. (I agree ) It is obvious this guy will spend somewhere north of $1000-1500, perhaps more on a very expensive build and then to have that crown be spottable from 12 inches is very bad. (You can't see it close up) You say, 12 inches, no one will spot it on your wrist....by that same argument, why the hell would you spend more than $150 for an asian eta clone version of the 116610 from timeshops if that distance is all that you care about ? ( I did not say anything about 12 inches )[/QUOTE]

Guy's at this moment the watch is on my wrist, I am holding it up so the light from the halogens above me reflects across the glass, and I still can't see the crown. Honest, I can't, and I am a fussy b'stard! I'm going to ask a couple of buddies tomorrow if they can see it.
If they can see it with the naked eye, then maybe I am blind! and smoking crack! who knows? who cares? I'm happy,and that's last I'll say. Cheers gents.

sawalke4

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/08
How some guys can spend so much on modding I will never understand. Just wait for the better version to come out, or live with the flaws and enjoy your rep. No one except a WIS or AD can tell the average rep anyway. So whats the point?

sneed12?

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/11
How some guys can spend so much on modding I will never understand. Just wait for the better version to come out, or live with the flaws and enjoy your rep. No one except a WIS or AD can tell the average rep anyway. So whats the point?
Because it's fun?

Personally, I don't get this build--it's crazy expensive and the case he's starting from quite frankly isn't very good--but modding watches is fun. That's the only reason I stuck around this hobby, otherwise I would have bought a Noobmariner two years ago and called it a day.

giobo

6/5/10
Because it's fun?

Personally, I don't get this build--it's crazy expensive and the case he's starting from quite frankly isn't very good--but modding watches is fun. That's the only reason I stuck around this hobby, otherwise I would have bought a Noobmariner two years ago and called it a day.
Sneed you are right..Collecting and modding reps is way more fun than gens!!!Maybe most of us do it because we cannot afford so many gens but frankly if you become a member to a gen forum you will get bored really easilly!!

phillycheez

6/6/09
What's more interesting...

"I just picked up my sub at the AD. Here's a wrist shot!"

OR

"Took two years to source these parts buts its finally built. Say hello to my franken sub. Here's the part break down.... "

eVojlib

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/11
BK has stated to me that a gen ceramic bezel insert will fit. Which is one of many reasons I chose his as a base.

Im going to say no it wont, atleast with out proper shaving to the base and outer edge of the insert.

Take the gen insert out and lay it flat, now compare that to the noob insert and you will see if you put the gen insert inside the ring that it sits too high. It sits almost flush with the crystal once the outer edge has been correctly shaved and thats not correct.

Direct quote from BK:
"Gen insert should fit but it's practically impossible to get and will be very expensive."

And if you ask him he will tell you he never installed a gen insert on a sub c, so i'd say that "Should" is not a deffinate.

I still wish you luck on the project, just make sure they are careful with the insert as it will shatter into pieces if not.

Anyhoo, here are some pics I have taken today. I only have a canon ixus 220hs compact and the pics are as good as I can get them.

Apart from the grime! (it is an every day wearer) let me know what you think ;)

0c46b87b.jpg

44981321.jpg

d1b11017.jpg

a66802db.jpg

Still very visable in all but the third pic, that one's a bit blurred. ;)

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I did a tutorial last year on grinding down a actual ceramic insert with a diamond wheel, should you end up needing it. Personally I'd be crying while I ground down a gen insert.

I have to agree that this build is going to be awful expensive with too many potential pitfalls. The cost to benefit ratio just doesn't work for me.

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
I'd still do it, I mean the guy has said he has the coin and doesn't mind the $1,500 build cost.

But use the right case!!!!! Otherwise it's such a waste!