• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why isn't there an ultimate thread..........

vrocco

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/11/11
....of exactly what to look at when buying a Sub replica. It is the most widely replicated watch and there are so many models out there to choose from. I am obviously a newb here and just reading through forums over the last couple of days, I keep seeing comments like:

"It has the all the usual tells"
"Same issues as the rest"

but there isn't a sticky of all of the most common mistakes in replicas. There are certain threads that have one tell here or one tell there, but never all in one place. I know this probably sounds lazy on my part, but I think it would be the quickest way for a newbie to learn what to look for.

What if I wasn't buying a rep? What if I found a nice used sub for sale second hand at a reasonable price? I guess the best way would be to have an AD look at it, but what are some things that are the dead giveaways even on the good reps?

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
Seek and ye shall find.

More reading required. Welcome to the forum btw.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
My choice would be a Noob Factory Submariner,,,,it's a good first choice, has most of not all the bells a whistles one would need for a mod watch base. I have one myself and it is being modded as we speak. You can find NOOB versions for $100 or less usually... I bought my Noob for $100 from a member.

Peace Brother,

Rob

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
"Ultimates" change every 2 months or so, might as well check the dealers sites instead of creating massive confusion.

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
Isn't the fun of a hobby to learn new things. If there was all the info needed in one thread it would be a novel at best, and constantly being updated based on factory changes, tweaks,And errors. While the idea sounds great, I do agree, I see how the elders points are quite valid.

Good luck!

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
Your going to get different answers from different people. Do you want a watch to wear, or one to mod? If your just wanting a watch to wear that has the fewest flaws and you can rely on, I'd step up and get BK's TW Sub. It's one of the more expensive options, but look through the forums and you'll see how highly both it and BK are regarded. You get what you pay for.

vrocco

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/11/11
You can save all the reading and opinions if you want a perfect Submariner only one place to look www.rolex.com

I feel I'm not clearly expressing what I looking for. I am not after the perfect Sub. Of course, only a gen fits that bill. What I am after is the knowledge and know-how to tell why the others aren't perfect.

I already have BK's new gen style offering paid for and in the works. I made the decision that was the Sub I wanted.

What I am trying to learn is to look at others that I may come across and be able to compare and contrast them with how they should look according to the gen. I obviously can't afford a gen to hold up next to them, so I am looking for high quality comparison pics or simple tells that can be recognized.

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
Answer to thread question: They change too often to be able to state with certainty and for all time. Today's best won't be in 3 months.

Answer to last question: You'll be able to tell that yourself, once you have your BK. Just google the model you bought to compare pics of reps and gens. Don't forget there are differences in gens from year to year too, so what might be a tell might not actually be a tell, if you get my drift.

Folks get caught out for two main reasons:
* Wearing a watch they could not possibly afford (doesn't apply in night clubs, be who you wanna be!)
* Poor quality finish, obvious from metres away

Most Rolex owners (aside from maybe 20 nuts who hang on the gen rolex forums) wouldn't have a clue if a good quality rep is actually a rep anyway. And you ain't gonna take it to a Rolex dealer, so in 99.9% of situations, you're safe.

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Tells are a moving target. One version will have a certain tell and the newer version will address it...but will have another different tell of its own. Look at PAMs: if it's not the hands, its the dial font. Or the crown guard. Or the caseback. Or the lugs screws. Or the crown. Or the movement. Or the lume. Every new version "fixes" what was "wrong" with the old one, but has other stuff "wrong" as well.

Best answer to your question: Find good pictures of a gen, probably from a gen forum. Use them to contrast pics of the current reps, and learn for yourself through experience. Read the forums, too, they'll get you started in the right direction.

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
From yr way of asking, I advise you to get puretime SA3135 new rolex sub. And slowly start mod from there. Why? Cos it's using a real clon 3135 which operates like real rolex 3135 movt. Once with cosmetic mod. This watch can only be call out as rep with the back case open. Even you open it, it takes a rolex expert to iden the fake 3135 movt.

You will probably spend about more than $1k. But you may get a rolex as good as gen... While without a gen price ($5K)

You can even afford to Pass it to yr friend to take a look and they will not even know it's rep. The SA3135 movt turns in the same direction as the crown turnng , same as 3135 movt unlike the eta 2836.

giobo

6/5/10
I will disagree with pams Robb..The later 111 noob is as close as a 200$ watch can be...
The subs are never perfect..Thats why under your nickname says who has the best sub..You will learn by time...

plymman

Renowned Member
13/10/10
From yr way of asking, I advise you to get puretime SA3135 new rolex sub. And slowly start mod from there. Why? Cos it's using a real clon 3135 which operates like real rolex 3135 movt. Once with cosmetic mod. This watch can only be call out as rep with the back case open. Even you open it, it takes a rolex expert to iden the fake 3135 movt.

You will probably spend about more than $1k. But you may get a rolex as good as gen... While without a gen price ($5K)

You can even afford to Pass it to yr friend to take a look and they will not even know it's rep. The SA3135 movt turns in the same direction as the crown turnng , same as 3135 movt unlike the eta 2836.

+1. No matter how good BK's are, the hands don't turn the right way. Only the 3135 clone changes in the same direction as a real Rolex and will take gen dials, hands etc.. With no problems.

melswatch

I'm Pretty Popular
21/5/10
How much for just a clone 3135 and where can you get them? Will they fit in a BK sub? Thinking about "upgrading" mine...

INeedaWatch2

Renowned Member
5/11/09
The hands on a BK are wrong any way, look at a gen the look at the BK the "Hour" hands are too fat. That is the usually the first tell and easiest tell on most subs.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Compare Gen to Rep... Done. ;) Crown Guards, Pearl, Dial Print... blah blah blah.

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
How much for just a clone 3135 and where can you get them? Will they fit in a BK sub? Thinking about "upgrading" mine...

I check with Puretime. They don't sell the movt alone.. I guess its the same with other dealer. Anyway, I am going to rip out my Yachtmaster SA3135 for other project.. Haha.

coop

Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
You can save all the reading and opinions if you want a perfect Submariner only one place to look www.rolex.com

Best reply in this thread.

I feel I'm not clearly expressing what I looking for. I am not after the perfect Sub. Of course, only a gen fits that bill. What I am after is the knowledge and know-how to tell why the others aren't perfect.

I already have BK's new gen style offering paid for and in the works. I made the decision that was the Sub I wanted.

What I am trying to learn is to look at others that I may come across and be able to compare and contrast them with how they should look according to the gen. I obviously can't afford a gen to hold up next to them, so I am looking for high quality comparison pics or simple tells that can be recognized.

There are literally thousands of posts in this forum that will cover what you are looking for, I would start in the Rolex section and start reading. Im not trying to be a smartass, but you have a lot of learning to do. This isnt a question that is easily answered, and as others have stated, the reps change all the time. Its why most of us keep buying, year, after year, after year, after year, after year..........................