• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

how good is the PVD coating on the reps

panac

Renowned Member
19/5/11
Looking to get a sinn u1 pvd and im not familiar at all with pvd coading.is it scratcable or is it easy to chip.your feedback is appriciated guys thanks in advance

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I have a U2 and it is satisfactory. However:

I advise that you don't expect this finish to be very scratch resitant. Owners of the gen complain that the PVD finish is not as durable as they expected it to be.

panac

Renowned Member
19/5/11
Is it even worth getting the pvd version.i would hate yo worry about it not to get scratched even with a little ding or something

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Is it even worth getting the pvd version.i would hate to worry about it not to get scratched even with a little ding or something

That's your call.

Some worry about the finish of a polished steel watch head and bracelet, too. But those scratches can be removed.

If you have plenty of watches, you can reduce the risk--as do I--buy not wearing your PVD watches outside the house. Or if you really love the watch, send it to avitt for a DLC treatment. That finish is a lot more durable.

Just my $0.02 USD as always.

panac

Renowned Member
19/5/11
Thanks tommy, i think ill give it a shot and if it starts to get noticably scratched ill send it avitt

D

d4m.test

PVD/ DCL wearability

As I think about I have a number of the blackened ss reps! In all cases durability is a non-issue. Not a scratch not an abrasian..The blackened finishes are intended for hard use ie: firearms & industrial applications....Fear not! Regards, mcotter

tracyl

22/4/11
I was reading on the forums on watchuseek.com about the pvd bell and ross, and many of members there were saying they liked the fact that the watch scratches easily, as it adds character to the watch. Makes it look more like a tool than a watch. I think if it was your daily wearer, you will scratch it a lot over time. But it could make it look more cool.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I was reading on the forums on watchuseek.com about the pvd bell and ross, and many of members there were saying they liked the fact that the watch scratches easily, as it adds character to the watch. Makes it look more like a tool than a watch. I think if it was your daily wearer, you will scratch it a lot over time. But it could make it look more cool.

Good point. Some folks like that look.