• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help removing 5th Gen PO Tube

TheExit148

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/1/11
Ok, so I've started the crown and tube replacement on my 5th gen PO. Everything is good, movement out etc, but I cannot remove the tube. It will not budge no matter what. My pliers aren't gripping enough or something or its too tight in there. Any recommendations or other tools to try?

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
A pin punch and hammer.

And a block of wood with a hole drilled in it.

Gen crown tube is smaller in diameter than the rep, and it sure is a whole lotta work doing something permanent to hold it in.......

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
A pin punch and hammer.

And a block of wood with a hole drilled in it.

Gen crown tube is smaller in diameter than the rep, and it sure is a whole lotta work doing something permanent to hold it in.......

+1

I've attached it with the same marine epoxy I've used to seal the HE valve.
There are several DIY pictorials for it around here....

here's mine:
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/inside-franken-upo-build-60554?t=60554
Just to get a visual...I don't think it's much help with the removal/installation piece but more of an idea of what it looked like afterwards.

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
I shoulda gone the epoxy route...

Damned perfectionist......

TheExit148

5/1/11
Anyone have any luck using an awl instead of a pin punch? My biggest problem is, I can't remove the crystal. I don't have the hardware to remove or insert back in.

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
You should be able to use a pin punch (go to your hardware and buy one, or you'll ruin your watch) with only having removed the case back and the movement/dial assy. You should not need to remove the crystal. But if you do, see below.

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=24567

I actually pushed my crystal out by hand. Personally I would also remove the bezel to make sure the gasket/fitting ring (nylon) doesn't bind or crush on install.

Bezel removing videos are all over Youtube.

The crystal isn't all that difficult to get back in, however if you think it's beyond you (the install, not the removal) then take it to your watchmaker to have it re-installed.

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
The rep tube screws into the case just like the gen. I used an e-z out to remove the rep. tube and that worked very well for me. (and a few extra eta stems from ofrei arrived so with any luck, I'll have the gen tube expoxied in and the gen crown on and sealed up sometime time over the weekend.) The gen case back fits perfectly, too.

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
That's good to know. Both 5th gen. 42mm PO's I have have the rep tubes screwed into the case, just like the gens and with the same needed expoxy job because the gen threads are smaller. I'm still doing the ofrei parts thing (but slowly).

TheExit148

5/1/11
Alright I was able to unscrew the tube finally. It took some work, and I had to find a small pair of needle nose pliers to make it work. Now I'm ready to continue.

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
Alright I was able to unscrew the tube finally. It took some work, and I had to find a small pair of needle nose pliers to make it work. Now I'm ready to continue.

Oh crap! I assumed it was a 45. Sorry, the 42's screw in like the gens. No idea if they're the same size though.

TheExit148

5/1/11
Well, the keyless is f'd on my watch now. I practiced a few times inserting and remove the stem when I first started and had no issues. I must have done something wrong on the last attempt to remove the stem, or just now when I was putting it back in. Either way, it's winding, but not catching for setting the time or date. I'm awaiting a response from Victor to see if he can help me fix it. I'd try my self but don't have any hand removers.