• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Custom build sapphire crystals for your AP Diver

plaifender

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/3/09
I wouldn't touch Cheiftang with a shit stick when it comes to AR. Thing is there are compromises to be made when it comes to the AR strength vs durability. A crystal can be made nearly invisible but that will make the coating VERY prone to scratches. This kind of coating is used in optical glasses for example, because their use tends to be not as harsh to the crystal as a watch for example. You've seen people say that Cheif's AR is far superior than their high-end gen. That is probably right but just look at how many of the watches with Cheif AR'd crystals have been scratched. I think it was Uwe (fine_dd) who did a scratch test of a Cheif AR'd crystal and I think Taka AR'd crystal. He used the same pressure on both crystals and the Cheif one was nearly destroyed (in terms of AR). Just my $.02

So just how many watches have been scratched? You say that I should look at all the watches that have been scratched, but you haven't mentioned any... I would obviously expect chief's competition to say the exact same thing.. but I haven't heard much membership complain about durability on Chief's crystals...

Lastly, on your point about optical AR.. In my experience optical AR is ALMOST ALWAYS tinted. My camera lens is bluish purple, my glasses have a greenish hue to them, and i have another pair that have a purpleish hue. on the other hand, Chief's AR is colorless.

I know you say you wouldn't touch his AR with a ten foot pole.. but if you have no experience with his product how can you speak against it so much...?

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
So just how many watches have been scratched? You say that I should look at all the watches that have been scratched, but you haven't mentioned any... I would obviously expect chief's competition to say the exact same thing.. but I haven't heard much membership complain about durability on Chief's crystals...

Lastly, on your point about optical AR.. In my experience optical AR is ALMOST ALWAYS tinted. My camera lens is bluish purple, my glasses have a greenish hue to them, and i have another pair that have a purpleish hue. on the other hand, Chief's AR is colorless.

I know you say you wouldn't touch his AR with a ten foot pole.. but if you have no experience with his product how can you speak against it so much...?

Who says I haven't had experience with his work? About a year ago I bought a BP from a member over at RG. The watch was sold as the AR being scratched but I thought, hey he must have banged it pretty hard to scratch it. So I got it anyway. And boy was I wrong. In a matter of 4 maybe 5 weeks the AR got scratched even more and trust me, I didn't bang it. Not even once. And mind you it was during the winter so the watch was pretty much under my sleeve most of the time. Meanwhile the Taka AR on my top gun was flawless (apart from one scratch which was due to me dropping the watch).

fitipaldi

8/10/10
Who says I haven't had experience with his work? About a year ago I bought a BP from a member over at RG. The watch was sold as the AR being scratched but I thought, hey he must have banged it pretty hard to scratch it. So I got it anyway. And boy was I wrong. In a matter of 4 maybe 5 weeks the AR got scratched even more and trust me, I didn't bang it. Not even once. And mind you it was during the winter so the watch was pretty much under my sleeve most of the time. Meanwhile the Taka AR on my top gun was flawless (apart from one scratch which was due to me dropping the watch).

+1. I have 4 watches with Chief's AR and all of them have full of scratches.
In the other side, I have 4 with Uwe's Ar and all of them are flawless.

plaifender

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/3/09

ahh.. I see! Welll, I've been curious about Chief's treatment since he changed his formula to the new clear one a couple years back. It's almost impossible to get a crystal in on his runs though.

I agree with you about the TAKA cryal. I've had 2 TAKAs and they're great. Despite being a lot more colorful than Chief.

@Fitipaldi, how do you like UWE's AR.. all of his AR applications looks yellowed to me.. kind of a turn off. Very effective.. but the slight yellow tint doesn't cut it. What's your opinion?

fitipaldi

8/10/10
@Plaifender: Uwe's AR is very good, not so "invisible" like Chief's, but is very solid. In fact Uwe's double AR is perfect for APs, because it has a little reflection and it gives more like gen look to them.
If I must choose between both, I will go 100% with Uwe. Chief's AR is amazing... but for 1 or 2 months.