• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How many members have Rolex reps?

J.Prime

I'm Pretty Popular
Trusted Dealer
11/4/10
I've never been a huge Rolex fan, but over time I grew to like the DSSDs a bit. I finally snagged one up about a month ago and made it fit my 'taste' better. Rolex bracelets are far too thin, especially on the DSSD. Much better feel on a notched 24mm leather strap...
9ba0a308.jpg

ricou2273

I'm Pretty Popular
28/10/10
Like Crocodile, I've never been a huge Rolex fan but over the time several model growing on me :
first : milgauss GV (not the best rep)
sec : GMT2c a outstanding rep out of the box
third : waiting for my BK DSSD

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
Interessting discussion.
I like rolex, but see no reason to own one, unless it rocks your boat.
Regardless that I like 50% of all watches I come by, I gotta say that there are still quite a few models, that are considered hotties around here, that does nothing for me.
(I do like rolies though)
With that in mind, why would I buy one of those models?
It's kindda like saying that everyone should have an album with the Beatles or Elvis. Or everyone should have a copy of the bible- I have neither, even though I recognise that they all did some good for the place I live in, but they still don't make it across the point of getting a spot on my mantel piece. :)

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
If you go with the pre-engraved rehault, No-Date Sub, with a bezel swap with one from watchmaterial.com, you should be fine. IMO it is very hard to call that one out.

GMT is one of the worst rolex rep. Cos it always got the wrong hand stack. If you got the correct hand stack version. Chances it will break down easily. If someone know a thing about rep. First thing to verify a real GMT is to look out fir wrong handstack.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
GMT is one of the worst rolex rep. Cos it always got the wrong hand stack. If you got the correct hand stack version. Chances it will break down easily. If someone know a thing about rep. First thing to verify a real GMT is to look out fir wrong handstack.

I really don't think hand stack matters very much at all. Can you spot an incorrect handstack from 3 feet away?

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
I really don't think hand stack matters very much at all. Can you spot an incorrect handstack from 3 feet away?

+1

Yep, IMO the handstack is a mute point. Only the wearer would know. You would examine the handstack much closer that I would allow anyone to get to my watch.

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
I don't think RWI member spend dew hundred dollars for a rep just to trick someone from 3 feet distance. If not, get a $50 a21j will do the job. Why spend hundred? Probably my requirement is much higher.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I don't think RWI member spend dew hundred dollars for a rep just to trick someone from 3 feet distance. If not, get a $50 a21j will do the job. Why spend hundred? Probably my requirement is much higher.

This is precisely what I do, although the 21j's cost $78 or so. Different strokes for different folks eh :) Then again, with the GMT the 21j is the most reliable movement, so it's preferable in that respect too.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09

Omega, nothing wrong with having high requirements ..... that's the reason that reps have vastly improved over the years. Keep raising the bar and the reps will keep getting better and better!

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10

Well stated. I can respect that. And the is what keeps RWI going so well - "Differences."

cardsdoc86

Known Member
7/9/10
Call me silly but this is the only rep I wont buy. I will pick up a gen GMT2c in a few years.

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
Ah... Rolex. They do make timeless pieces that look good on the majority of wrists. I'll probably always have at least one in the arsenal at all times. Looking for a nice vintage at the moment...

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I havent one either and i am planning not to buy too. But that GMT2,that little @##%$, is tempting me soooooooo much....

RacksOnRacks

Known Member
4/12/09
I havent one either and i am planning not to buy too. But that GMT2,that little @##%$, is tempting me soooooooo much....

After reading the responses and looking at a few wrist shots I can confirm that I have been bitten by the Rolex bug. Specifically the GMT2.

bunbury

Known Member
9/2/11
The sub was my first love. I used to visit the ADs as a kid and fantasize about them. Today they're too widely copied....everyone assumes your rolex is a rep. And Rolex is a cliche (like Louis Vuitton bags or Gucci loafers). Whatever. I've got 4 (sub, DSSD, GMT Daytona) and I still love them.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I currently have 9. All pretty much high end modded reps and frankens. I weeded out the cheapies long ago. None that I wouldn't proudly wear in a room full of gen Rolexes.
Also a couple of high end Omegas, a vintage gen Seiko, a vintage gen Omega Sea master, and a lonely Pam 288.