• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

So Many Watches Availabe vs So Little Money - What to do?

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
URRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!! There are so many awesome watches available, and I have so little money to spend on them!!!

I am frustrated to my highest point.

You start a collection and gather a few nice pieces and become satisfied. Then they make a better ~different~ watch than one you have in the collection that you must have.

I can't sell my old ones, because now I am in love with them. So I buy the new one I was eyeing, making my first loves jealous, so that pop a spring on me, and off she goes to the repair shop for maintenance (she will get attention one way or the other).

Now my biggest delima, I only have two wrist and as per protocol/society, I am only allowed to wear one watch at a time.

Repeat the cycle again, again and again.

What do I do?????

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
What to do, what to do.

Send them all to me for safe keeping?

:biglaugh:

I have pared down my collection considerably in favor of quality over quantity.

That way I can wear my watches in a shorter rotation.

Now I find that I am not as frustrated by seeing nice watches gather dust in a watch box.

WatchnScotch

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/12/10
I love all the watches I buy, but I just consider which watches I am wearing the most and which ones haven't seen wrist time in a few weeks. I then wear the watch that hasn't got any wrist time and fall back in love with it.

In the end, if I haven't wore it in a few weeks, I am probably not going to be wearing it much, might as well sell it and try something new.

artsyguy

15/1/11
You could leap off a tall bridge...(just will me your watches since you won't need them anymore). Glad I could help.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
That is one of the marvellous things of this hobby!!
I love it!!
What a tension!! LOL

Anyway, try high quality in favor of quantity

Camaro95

2/4/11
Keep a rotation going. Buy the watch you think you like, wear it, sell at or below cost (depending on condition of course) and buy a new one.

D

d4m.test

...savor the moment; enjoy the opportunities; save your money; buy again; AND, repeat... .

dave

URRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!! There are so many awesome watches available, and I have so little money to spend on them!!!

I am frustrated to my highest point.

You start a collection and gather a few nice pieces and become satisfied. Then they make a better ~different~ watch than one you have in the collection that you must have.

I can't sell my old ones, because now I am in love with them. So I buy the new one I was eyeing, making my first loves jealous, so that pop a spring on me, and off she goes to the repair shop for maintenance (she will get attention one way or the other).

Now my biggest delima, I only have two wrist and as per protocol/society, I am only allowed to wear one watch at a time.

Repeat the cycle again, again and again.

What do I do?????

Member X

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
I love all the watches I buy, but I just consider which watches I am wearing the most and which ones haven't seen wrist time in a few weeks. I then wear the watch that hasn't got any wrist time and fall back in love with it.

+1

There's a few I could probably let go of but then the one day I reeeeeally feel like wearing it I'm glad I didn't sell it! :lol:

Not only that, but sorting out a decent new leather strap on something with a standard rep strap instantly makes it 100% better and more likely to stay in the watchbox rather than be sold...

I just need more money! :lol:

acharria

26/10/09
this one is my thread

Frist, you know there are guys wearing up to 3 watches at the same time.. castro, maradona, so who cares.. wear as many as you like...

Second, search the forums for free watches.. or raffles
I have been really lucky.. some good members send me good watches and looks like Im a monster with raffles at the moment:jerry:

What is on the mail..

Panerai AD clock RWI raffle
Timberland RWI member
Montblac RWI member
Alpha dual RG raffle
Custom PAM RG raffle

I feel pretty!!

PecMan

4/5/09
somehow u must be able to make extra money ! think about a way to do that ! i dont know hmmmmmm............. extra night job? resell things that u buy on sale ...... sell ur body........think about a proyect that will give u more money ! ,,,,,,,,,, be part of a church and take those 10% from the people to buy watches ....... the priest will be proud

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
somehow u must be able to make extra money ! think about a way to do that ! i dont know hmmmmmm............. extra night job? resell things that u buy on sale ...... sell ur body........think about a proyect that will give u more money ! ,,,,,,,,,, be part of a church and take those 10% from the people to buy watches ....... the priest will be proud

Ummm, not thanks... LOL

Thanks to all who responded; I see I am not alone!

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I sold a few watches once. I'll never do that again!
While I rarely wear more than a dozen of my 60+ watches, it'd still be like selling a child to give them up.
To para-phrase Dory from "Finding Nemo":
just keepbuying... just keep buying... just keep buying...

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hpy540

Renowned Member
17/10/08
I have sold three watches since i started this hobby, i have 32 of them. I find it hard to sell and i think one day this stuff is gonna get shut down. I am keeping all i can. good hight quality stuff. I ahve a couple WM9 watches. I ahve a couple with gen ETA movements. I just bought the right watch box to hold them all and i love looking at it. I do have to slow down though. But i have honnestly 5 more wants. then i might consider thiniing the herd .... But i doubt it.
I sold a few watches once. I'll never do that again!
While I rarely wear more than a dozen of my 60+ watches, it'd still be like selling a child to give them up.
To para-phrase Dory from "Finding Nemo":
just keepbuying... just keep buying... just keep buying...

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darthmemnoch

Renowned Member
10/9/07
Save up :)

You can also start a watch pool/pass around with like minded watch people in the area you live in

MMA

5/10/10
Do what i do... Buy every and any watch that tickles your fancy. Hardly wear them ever. Then sell them for a HUGE loss.

Works for me hehehe.

HPoirot

31/3/11
I've told myself numerous times i'll stop at 12. Seems to be good number for me. I'm at 9.

Most of my watches get fair wrist time, though some do stay in the box for weeks on end. But thankfully, i think i managed to avoid having too many watches that serve the same purpose. (ie, more than 1 sports watch or more than 1 dress watch.)

I won't see having limited funds as a bad thing. I won't stop at 12 if didn't feel so guilty about buying so many watches.