• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT broken stem

stemec2000

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/7/11
Hi
I will try and post some pictures too but;
I bought a GMTII from buyreplicawatches.net (I won't again). The second hand was loose and slipping so I took it apart and fixed that with a tiny blob of superglue as I didn't know how else.
Anyway I put it back together and had trouble getting the stem back in but eventually did. I then realised I had not seated one of the seals properly so took it apart again - I then found that I had split the seal. No worries - I won't be swimming in it so thought I'd just put it together without the seal.
But I just could not get the stem in.
It appears as if the stem release pin is stuck in the open position so the stem wouldn't lock in.
Then in pushing just a tad too hard I snapped the stem.
So now I have a watch that basically works but I cannot use.
What I really need is a new stem and instruction on how to swap the crown over, and some advice on what to do about the release pin.

I'll post pics in a reply to this as I want to get this posted without messing it up.

pics attached (I hope)

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
It sounds like a key works problem. It often happens when one opens a 2836 movement and remove the stem. My best advise is to send it to a RWI watch maker for repair. They are listed under watch maker; it should take a few bucks and a few days.

stemec2000

18/7/11
Being the impatient sod that I am - I have now ordered a new stem, hand removal tool, case clamp and hand pusher off of flea bay.
I read somewhere that if you push the release pin too hard with a sharp pin (I did) then it will need re-reistering (whatever that means).
So with hammer in hand I will go about dismantling my watch and attempting to fix it.
Wish me luck - first time inside a watch.

I mean - how hard can it be ? :lolcina:

:err:

PS - Can anyone tell me the size of the seal that goes around the stem and into the case - I threw it away - Doh!

stemec2000

18/7/11
stem query

Got a new stem from e-bay - but it won't go in.
When you get the problem with a 2836 stem not going in - is it that it won't go in at all?
I assume I need to dis-mantle the watch and do something with the release pin?
Its just that before I got the new stem - the old one (now broken) went in but wouldn't lock in position.
I assume all 2836 stems are the same?
It looks the same, it's the same length and it's in the crown.

stemec2000

18/7/11
Taken watch apart and the release mech was awry, sorted that but the stem won't go back in.
Would I be right inassuming that the stem I bought from e-bay for an ETA 2836 won't fit my asian clone?
Thats how it appears.

I have now ordered a stem from China - is that gonna be the right one?

I am soooo frustrated!
:thinking:

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
It should fit, but doesn't always. It's a bit hit or miss. Well done on fixing the keyless works first time though. I take it the release button is now working properly?

stemec2000

18/7/11
It looks like it is - but without a stem that fits its hard for me to tell.
I might not have fixed it of course.
I didn't take much apart.
I took off the hands, dial, then a plate that was held on by two screws. I think that's unique to the GMT as can't see it in any pics on here.
That revealed the bits in question and one lever appeared to have been pushed towards the centre - I simply pushed it back and dropped into place.

Does that sound right ?
Or do I need to go deeper?

Have to say it was satisfying - haven't put dial and back in case it still won't work.

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
What the heck, your pics show a cheap 21j movement, why did you buy an eta stem ? You need a dg2813 stem buddy

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
Man, that movement looks ROUGH. If there's damage to the keylessride works this is the perfect opportunity to swap movements. Mouth even be cheaper than all the stem hunting after buying and shipping a few. Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
What the heck, your pics show a cheap 21j movement, why did you buy an eta stem ? You need a dg2813 stem buddy

You can buy a whole 2813 for about $15 USD.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk

stemec2000

18/7/11
I didn't realise when I ordered - I thought a 2836 clone would be the same.
I'll await my stem from China and if that doesn't fit then I'll find a dg2813

I would tart it all up - but I only bought this watch because I wanted a gold watch with a green face to wear at my wedding.
I wouldn't normally buy a cheap gold watch as I know the plating is crap.
I already have a couple of cheap reps from holidays as well.
I have now ordered an Invicta dive watch I found on e-bay (not a Swiss movt.) but new.
I am looking around now at a Sub with a pepsi dial - but will get a decent rep from a TD (picking up the lingo!)

I am gonna persevere with this as I don't like to be beaten. This watch will have a cost a fortune by the time I sort it as I bought all the tools as well !

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
It's all part of learning a new hobby mate :) I think I have more value in tools at the moment than I do in watches in my box. But thems the breaks I guess :D

stemec2000

18/7/11
damn

My stems arrived from Chine (all 10 of them) and don't fit.
I am trying to find a stem on-line but failing.
Cousins look like they may have one - but having already spent more on trying to fix this thing than I spent in the first place I am reluctant to order another wrong stem.
Can anyone tell me the part number from Cousins for a 2813 stem ?
I would but a whole new movement as they are cheap enough - but the watch is a GMT - can I get a cheap movement to replace it?
Getting frustrated - to the point I just ordered a Steinhart for my holiday as fed up with this.
But I won't let it beat me.

stemec2000

18/7/11
Its not a 2813

Hi
This watch malarky is all a bit of an art isn't it.

I decided to have another go at the movement. After a lot of searching the net last week it's become apparent that it's not a 2813 - its a 3804b.
Not that that makes any differnece other than to make it more complicated ...

So, I took out all the bits around the stem and using a stone I ground the square on the stem down so it fits into the cog it goes in (whatever that is called). Itas all done, nice a snug. Feeling rather pleased with myself I went to re-assemble.
I now have a new problem. Getting it back together.
I should have photographed the movement before I took it apart. But I didn't.
I have the stem in and the winding gear and the next gear after that (with a recess wher the the stop/start lever goes)..

I also have another cog/gear with a flange on one face, the release lever and two other "levers".
I know where the release lever goes, but I don't know which way up the other cog goes, where it goes or what order to put the levers back in (or where they go).

My Internet access went down Sat morning and so I couldn't look for any info.
This morning I am looking - expecting to find a picture of a movment in bits - or a parts diagram - but nothing.

So, can anyone point me in the direction of a picture of the insides of a 3804b with the plate off so I can see the mechanism around the winder.

It's either that or its gonna go in the bin, and I really don't want to admit failure on this after getting this far.

Thanks