• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Less is more!?!

JamDot

I'm Pretty Popular
22/6/11
So. As you all know I've been on a buying spree for a month. I've been lucky to have bought some of the best watches this community has to offer. For the past couple days I look at my watch box and drool at some really nice pieces and I rotate them and wear them all around the house. When I leave for work or to go out I seem to always choose from the same 3 or 4 and have no doubt which ones are my favorite.
Is anyone relating here?
Has anyone ever said "why did I buy all these?"
I have been thinking today, why do I have 4 subs and 2 gmts and 4 pams.
Don't get me wrong I love them all but I'm wondering if I should consolidate and keep 5 of my favorites.
The good thing is, I've had a chance to try most of the watches I desired. But it seems that some of them just won't ever get the wrist time they deserve.
Is this part of the phase all go through at some point or another?

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I think you'll find you go through phases - for a month or so one will be an absolute favourite, and then you'll not wear it for ages. Then you'll return to it later on and reconnect with it like an old friend :)

I've bought 30 watches since I've joined and I could narrow down to my 5-10 current favourites, but I'm very sure it'd change in a few months. So I'll keep them all.

audace

I'm Pretty Popular
10/2/11
I think you'll find you go through phases - for a month or so one will be an absolute favourite, and then you'll not wear it for ages. Then you'll return to it later on and reconnect with it like an old friend :)

I've bought 30 watches since I've joined and I could narrow down to my 5-10 current favourites, but I'm very sure it'd change in a few months. So I'll keep them all.

30?! That's crazy!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
My name is Cue five questuonmark, I'm addicted to reps.

I had 25+ at one time. I'm better now. I currently have 5. :lol:

BCE

Known Member
23/3/10
No, I don't have all the best yet. I bought your Pam 359 v3 remember? :)

JamDot

I'm Pretty Popular
22/6/11
Ok so I'm subconsciously trying to justify selling off some non-favorites to fund some gen parts for my favorites. Ie wm9 sub wm9 YM and some super modding to my AP diver. These mods could run over a grand and I'm not spending anymore money until I sell something.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Good plan. Build one nice rep at a time. ;)

greg_r

Departed Friend
Patron
8/7/08
I've got about 25 watches at the moment (it's been as high as 40 and as low as 10). Ten of those are Panerai, the rest a mixture.

Over the years I've been collecting I've gradually weeded out the ones that didn't really get much wear and I find I enjoy the majority of the watches I have at present (albeit I still have one or two that didn't quite work out and may make way for something else in due course). That doesn't mean that I wear them all in strict rotation, but over a three month period I'll generally get around to wearing most of 'em. Sometimes I find myself favouring a particular watch for several days - even weeks - but eventually I'll move on. It's normal, I think :)

frodostar

I'm Pretty Popular
7/10/10
suppose its personal choice but its 1 in 1 out, 3 rep 2 gen, think if you wear too many high end watches it sort of shouts these are reps, so makes your gens also look rep!!!! so 5 for me is plenty, some of you lot are insane 30-40.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
What's your "number"? How many should you have before the wife goes to Defcon 1?? At what point do you consider modifying reps as opposed to buying more???

It really is a matter of "whatever blows your skirt up" for each individual here. I currently have 6 reps. I'm thinking 10 or 12 max, I don't know. I've already begun filling a parts box to enhance a few watches and I'm collecting the tools I need to do just that. I'm not sure I have the hands of a craftsman and I do have just enough ADD to make it frustrating for me but I'm going to give it a shot. I don't see myself "catching' and "releasing" a lot of watches. I tend to hold on to things as I know it's something I really want, I've researched the hell out of it and I know I will enjoy it.

Hey, that's it! THAT'S THE POINT!! I ENJOY IT!!! WTF was I thinking... ???

Is less more?? It might be for you. I'm inclined to agree with those that say you will go through stages. Certain watches are more formal, some more utilitarian, some I just love having on my wrist. See, there you go, back to ENJOYING again... :D

Snpr9696

I'm Pretty Popular
Trusted Dealer
26/5/10
I have about 25. I find myself wearing the same 4-5. But as someone else stated you go through phases. If something is really sitting to long I'll unload it to buy whatever phase Im in.

D

d4m.test

Your concerns sound about right, Jamdot; and as the members have said, it's cyclic -- for NOW, these are the favs; DOWN THE ROAD, they'll be differesnt. I have a lot of them and enjoy just looking at them, savoring the luxury of having to decide which one(s) I'll wear now. As with my gen Invicta Speedway, sometimes the rotations take a while. Stop fretting and enjoy. It's the end result of your addict... uh, hobby.

dave :popcorn:

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I own @60 watches, 7 of which are reps.
I mostly tend to rotate through the same 10-12 watches, but with 3 or 4 getting most of the wrist time.
I think that's pretty normal - having your go-to watches that just feel right and are versatile.

Mine:
WM9 black Sub
Blue Orient Mako 2
IWC 3717
Seiko black Monster
Gen TT DJ
LumTec M1
Stuhrling Tempest Rose Gold
Gen Oris Ti Diver
BK WM9 TT Blue Sub
Gen vintage Wakmann Triple Date
Vintage Bulova Wrist Alarm

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Ok, so I picked 3 to sell. I can't part with the rest...

Create a watch "jar" to put that money into- then do one of two things: buy a super rep, or, do some research and build your own. Collect the parts, then either put it together yourself or have one of the watchsmiths do it for you.

This takes your mind off of buying every watch you see, and you get an education along the way. :)

JamDot

I'm Pretty Popular
22/6/11
Create a watch "jar" to put that money into- then do one of two things: buy a super rep, or, do some research and build your own. Collect the parts, then either put it together yourself or have one of the watchsmiths do it for you.

This takes your mind off of buying every watch you see, and you get an education along the way. :)

This is good advice.

I just sold my blue bk and I'm gonna miss it!
:facepalm::facepalm:

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
At my peak I had 28. I had the same issue. I always wore the same 5 or so. Now I have about 10. All are top of the line. Quality over quantity.

HPoirot

31/3/11
I agree with the premise.

The hard part is finding out what is the 'sweet spot'. I've realized that mine is about 7 watches.

That's 3 bracelets that i wear to work and another 4 for the various activities i will be engaged in on the weekends.

Needless to say, my 4 watches get the least wrist time, so if im gonna get more watches, i'll have to be a bracelet. And even then, one or two will always get neglected every now and then.

So, yeah, less is more. And best.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Most people seem to go through a similar phase at the beginning. Start off buying loads, then whittling down to the ones that they really like to wear most. I filled my 10 slot watch box within 4-5 months, but I'm now down to just 1 that I wear a lot with a few more I want to order soon to try them out. Im actually having more fun modding and selling on watches for other people at the moment.