• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why no love for deployants?

HPoirot

31/3/11
Why is it we hardly see PAMs on deployants? Although i do agree that the Pre-V buckles are lovely, more people seem to go for the buckle than the deployant for PAM.

Personal preference? or are buckles more true to the original?

That aside, is it deployant or deployment?

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I think you've hit the nail on the head with the statement about being more true to the history of the brand.

I believe it's deployant.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
Actually, they all don't suck. But some are WAAAY better than others.

Del

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
15/7/10
I think it has a lot to do with the type of strap that people prefer on PAMs - the deployment clasp requires a relaively thin strap whereas many of us prefer a nice thick leather strap on a PAM that would not work with a deployment clasp, hence buckles are more common. IMHO of course! ;)

Having said that, I actually really like the strap and deployment on my PAM 288! :D

zivadavis

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/1/11
1) its deployant although many folks call it deployment...the correct term is deployant...whichever term you use people know what you are talkng about

2) preV styled rep buckles are more readily available, tend to be better made than the deployant type, AND more aftermarket strap makers offer significantly wider selection of straps that fit the preV type buckles.....straps that take deployant buckles have to thin down/taper quite a bit in thickness towards the buckle end of the strap in order to fit and work properly.....many pam enthusiasts prefer a "beefier" strap that does not taper in thickness.....you cannot use a strap of any significant thickness without proper taper for a deployant to fit and function....also non-deployant straps are significantly easier to make

3) imho and its only my opinion preV type buckles and its variants are significantly more comfortabloe to wear when it comes to pams....i have tried on both the oem/gen deployants and the rep ones and on MY wrist they tend to stick me as well as pinch...for ME they are basically uncomfortable.....the preV doesnt stick or pinch me.....that said i know some guys who definitely prefer the deployants but they are in the vast minority.....

Bomba

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/08
My Vac PAM 250 Daylight sports a sweet Panatime Carbon Fiber with blue stitching strap on a Panatime deployant. I wouldn't have that watch any other way, because it's the watch I generally wear with a dark suit to work, and it's really comfortable.

But, I must say that as a PAM junkie, I rotate straps like crazy.

I have the thick leather straps on my 26k, 253, Gen 111J, Ferrari 008, and I'm waiting on my Arktos from Goin.

For me, the older more vintage watches (think 202a, 1950, etc. here) get the Pre-V buckles, but I sport some nice big Pre-V style on my Gen 111J more often than not.

The only thing I'm missing from my collection is a couple of nice Pig Buckles, but I've got my eye on a few.

Beone21

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/12/10
I use the deployant for more formal wear. They are indeed usually thinner straps and therefore fit under your shirt instead of sticking out.
Have the deployant standard on my 088, but buckle I find more comfortable.

HPoirot

31/3/11
Oh, it's french. No wonder i keep failing the spell checker.

And it never occurred to me that deployant is more formal. Guess i shouldn't have gotten the deployant on rubber.

But i think deployant looks better on gator straps. For thick ammo straps, buckle is definitely the way to go.

How sad is it that i have straps incoming but still haven't settled on which PAM to get? lol

MartyNC

Known Member
22/9/09
I think it has a lot to do with the type of strap that people prefer on PAMs - the deployment clasp requires a relaively thin strap whereas many of us prefer a nice thick leather strap on a PAM that would not work with a deployment clasp, hence buckles are more common. IMHO of course! ;)

Having said that, I actually really like the strap and deployment on my PAM 288! :D

What he said! I would rock more straps with the deployant buckle I have, but most of my straps are too thick. Perhaps a taper in thickness would enable me to rock the deployant more often.