• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Paypal Gift

bunbury

Known Member
9/2/11
Why is paying sellers via PP gift prohibited?
I haven't been able to find a thread that explains or addresses it.
Can anyone elucidate?

Bronzy

I'm Pretty Popular
4/12/09
You still could... but basically nothing can be done if the seller refuses to send the item...
In the forum you can't 'require' payments via gift.

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Because if you get ripped off by a seller you have no recourse to get your funds back and run the risk of having your account locked if you attempt a dispute and inform them that you/seller were using it for a purchase vs its intended use (and they don't get to collect their fees in a bank acct transaction).

bunbury

Known Member
9/2/11
Got it. That's pretty straightforward. A gift is a gift after all.
Thanks for the info!

Maui Jim

14/6/11
California
I personally think if people get ripped off when they use the gift option on any forum, the seller should be permabanned. It just stops them from going on a forum crime spree.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I have had people pay me, or I myself pay them as a gift. You cannot require it, but if you know the seller , it's up to you.

trandy16

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/08
Seller trust is the key.

Yep...this is it big time.

There are people here whom I trust 100% because of prior dealings.

I have pretty good instincts when it comes to people.

So far...so good.

madcatlancelot

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/08
Why is paying sellers via PP gift prohibited?
I haven't been able to find a thread that explains or addresses it.
Can anyone elucidate?

It's listed in the sales section as one of the rules, if the seller doesn't adhere to it your sales thread might get nuked. You can't ask for pp gift but if you trust the seller enough you as a buyer can choose to pay as gift.

Note: price must be listed, as "auctioning" the item is not permitted. Accepted forms of payment must be listed, and payment by bank or wire transfer may NOT be the only option for payment. PayPal must be listed as an accepted form of payment if available in your country. Furthermore, PayPal payments sent as a "gift" may NOT be required by the seller, as this removes any buyer protection. Also, if detected, this may be viewed as fraudulent by PayPal and result in the suspension or closing of the affected accounts. If you wish to require the buyer to cover PayPal fees, this must be specified in your sales post.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Less protection to the buyer. Just add the Fees to the cost if you think it's necessary, I'm not pointing fingers or refering to the OP however I really don't get how people are so miserable they can't afford to lose the small fee PP charges.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
I just sent $175 as PP gift about 30 seconds ago

you have to trust the seller

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Less protection to the buyer. Just add the Fees to the cost if you think it's necessary, I'm not pointing fingers or refering to the OP however I really don't get how people are so miserable they can't afford to lose the small fee PP charges.

Putting up the extra 3-4% is a pretty cheap insurance policy on the purchase.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
its actually expensive insurance!

i would say more than 99% of deals are fine - so 3-4% is 300-400% of the fair price for insurance!

greg_r

Departed Friend
Patron
8/7/08
Something else to bear in mind here. PP have a tendency to investigate accounts that use 'gift' payments regularly - especially if they're not always to the same person. The risk is small, but it's there. Personally I'd advise avoiding gift payments entirely.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
...its 4% difference! Is this that big of a deal?

It's not the 4% that's a big deal, it's the assurance that as a buyer, when you choose to pay the 4% fees that you are able to recover those fees should the deal go bad.

skidrow

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/10
Exactly! Plus, I can't really choose the "gift" option (got an account in Germany), I only can choose "payment for goods" "ebay" or "services" ?!

Same as my account, I also dont have Gift option and when I check with PP - heres their reply:

Dear Mr...,

My name is Charm from PP Customer Service.

Thank you for contacting PP in relation to being unable to select
the ‘Personal Payment’ option to send money.

We have removed our personal payment feature for many of our
international markets including United Arab Emirates. We have decided to
focus our business on enabling cross-border e-commerce, which is what
the vast majority of our customers use PP to do.

This change does not impact your ability to send payments for purchases.
You can continue to use PP to shop online and pay for goods and
services from any of the 190 countries in which PP is available.
Unfortunately, you’ll need to use another payment provider to send a
personal payment. We’re sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

techlogik

16/7/09
...its 4% difference! Is this that big of a deal?

Fees are 2.9%.

But, my issue is, I normally have only modded higher end reps. $600-800+ so already the number of buyers when selling is limited.

Then, trying to get another 3% asking is like $20-25 more to the higher price.

If I am dealing with a VIP with only good feedback, and high amount of it and good reputation, gift is perfectly fine.

It is really up to the buyer/seller and what they agree upon IMO.