• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I proudly present you my Franken UPO (pic heavy)!!!!!!

Cee

Renowned Member
1/6/11
Very nice watch Paparas, enjoy!

I would love to do a franken project on a UPO someday, I'm just not completely sure what mods are the most important to make. I would love to change the bezel and the pearl but then again this watch would be awesome with the gen dial and hands just for the lume. Not sure if I want to spend that much money though so it may have to be one or the other! :(

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Dial,hands and crystal are making big, and i mean big difference, so if you want a light franken to save some money you can just do them...

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Yes of course, everything (watch+gen parts+installing parts+waterproof+pp fees+shipping fees) costed 1000-1010 euros approx

dan_j

5/11/10
paparas, you can fix the gap between the case and the strap by using thicker spring bars. I think I see from the second set of pictures that you're using thin spring bars and it's already bending a bit. Thicker spring bars keep the straps tight on the case and you won't see the ugly gap. However, it can be a complete bitch to fit thick spring bars.

Daniel

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Dan, that is what i was thinking about... But how thick should they be? Also do i need to take oem spring bars, i was thinking of buying one pair at a local store?

dan_j

5/11/10
I'm not sure the exact dimension of the thick spring bars I used. But they were just thick enough that I couldn't bend them with hands. You can probably get away with most regular 'thick spring bars' but OEM I'm sure will work too. Be careful though some spring bars also have thick 'nipples' that are too big for the drilled holes on the lugs.

Sorry I just realized my post probably didn't help you much haha :p but my point is thick bars get rid of gaps

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
I am interested in an Omega franken project too. I am thinking buying a UPO chronograph and then get an ofrei gen bezel set and install on the watch. Is it feasible?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
And some pics on steel...

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

and on a 6.75 wrist

IMAG0184.jpg

dakiman

Horology Curious
13/7/11
Looks fantastic!

Paparas, I'm in the midst of doing a franken myself: could I possibly ask where you got the gen Datewheel? I've looked on Ofrei's and can't seem to find it...

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Looks fantastic!

Paparas, I'm in the midst of doing a franken myself: could I possibly ask where you got the gen Datewheel? I've looked on Ofrei's and can't seem to find it...

It's part number A/7636A at ofrei. You need to call them. It's not on their website.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Very nice work, and what makes the game worth playing... :)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
As people before me noticed it, i can suggest too, that since you have decided to get a gen dial and hands set, you have to change the date wheel, the difference is really big and the price low, so go for it. The part number at cousins is ETA280225571WB3.

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
I think in a franken project if you take a part you will have to take and the others..
That is because if i put the dial i will also have to put the hands, because the markers, would have different colour..
Also when dial and hands are on, pearl should also have the same lume..
So there is something like a domino IMO here lol !!!!

The only problem is the cost....

Clark Kent

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/6/11
This watch is THAT nice that I just ordered the genuine one with orange bezel in SS... :)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Great decision you wont regret it!!! I really cant get that thing of my wrist! When you receive yours let me know as to trade for a week to see whats the orange bezel is like hehehe

ImWatchingYOU

24/8/10
Great watch and project you got going around there. I was thinking to get afranken myself, but as they cost half of the GEN I decided to save up and get the gen!

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Very good price, but its relative to the condition? I mean if its in good condition you get it for sure... If it is fool of marks etc i wouldn't spent my money...

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
I know the guy...Has a bunch of gens..Some of them worth a fortune..The one is not taking much wrist time..I will have to think of it since i just bought a rep po and a modded 16610..So the money wanted are really a lot for me..