• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo Driver

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Today I went to the shop to buy some golf balls, and after a quick talk with the guy, he offered to lend me a driver so I could give it a try.

I used to play golf when I was a kid, but I only started playing again about a month ago, with some friends. I alredy bought an iron serie and a rescue, but I'm still short of a driver.

I'm currently a pretty bad player, playing around +40, but progressing quickly. I'm sure going to test it out this week end, but before that I'd like to get some opinions.

So, anyone tested this one out?

P1050128.jpg

P1050129.jpg

P1050132.jpg

P1050133.jpg

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
FORE!

Hey Wiz, nice to see you back in Golf.

Well, the Driver is a good and forgiving modell of good quality, but: With handicap 40 the loft of 9 degrees in neutral position with probably a stiff V2 shaft...Well, this is not so easy to get it up in the air and straigt, my friend, properly without the proper swing and swing speed...

Try it out but maybe you have the power :)

A good combi for your hanicap is 10,5 degrees, draw, and regular schaft! Try a few options and modells on course and on range before buying and take your time with it. One will fit you!

regards

coax

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Thanks a lot for the feedback mate.

The shaft is actually regular.

The guy at the shop advised me to take the 9° because our golf course here can be quite windy over the trees, so it's not really a bad thing that the ball stays close to the ground.

What I want is a club that will allow me to progress. When I was 12yo I was handicap 25, a month ago I was playing over 60, and my aim is to get back to 25 before the end of the year if I manage to play once a week.

ugoderosa

Renowned Member
12/9/10
Nice pick up Wiz. I have several Callaway drivers at the moment. They are my favorite as a brand for drivers (have the FT-iz Tour, FT-iq Tour, and just sold my FT-9).

I have hit the Diablo and found it to be very forgiving. I think it will be a good head for you, although as Co-Axial mentioned, the loft is a bit stronger than normal for your handicap, but you mentioned the wind and your desire to get something you can grow into so perhaps 9 degrees is the way to go.

The ProForce V2 is absolutely one of my favorite shafts (I am a total gear whore and have tons of stuff). It is a low launch, low spin model, which will be good for you in the wind. The V2 has a different feel than your typical off-the-shelf driver shafts (which tend to be softer in the tip section, and therefor higher launching and "smoother" feeling). The ProForce V2 is played by a number of touring pros.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I finally bought it, it's very forgiving indeed. I just need to speed my swing up a little, but getting the ball in the air is actually easier than I expected.

It's my rescue I'm having trouble with. I have a taylormade R7 CBG Max 19°, and for some reason I can't manage to play it correctly. :(

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I use an R9 and a Burner Superfast. I recently got an R11 , but haven't had the fitment before they order it for me. I can tell you that after testing the R11, it blows away any othe driver I've used. Even my Callaway friends agree.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I heard it's very nice, but it's also not in the same price range. I bought the Callaway 189 euros, and the R11 was somewhere around 350 euros.

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
I heard it's very nice, but it's also not in the same price range. I bought the Callaway 189 euros, and the R11 was somewhere around 350 euros.

Specs? Did you stay with the 9 degree loft and stiff shaft?

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Nice, is a very good Driver you have then, Wiz! (Price is good too ((for Europe :( ; why are so many things so much more expensive than in US, like apple, golfgear, cars...))

borowed from another thread...

GLWD (GLW Drive) :)

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Nice, is a very good Driver you have then, Wiz! (Price is good too ((for Europe :( ; why are so many things so much more expensive than in US, like apple, golfgear, cars...))

borowed from another thread...

GLWD (GLW Drive) :)

Hehe, thanks! :lol:

Now I just have to figure out how to play that damn rescue!

cptkirk

Renowned Member
30/12/08
Callaway FT iZ driver. Save $120 after sale price & rebate. Menards "of all places" has them for sale at $79. after $100.00 mail-in rebate for anyone looking in the CONUS.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country

Wow. My wife got mine for me, for Father's day. $500 with a custom fitting and 5 lessons.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Callaway FT iZ driver. Save $120 after sale price & rebate. Menards "of all places" has them for sale at $79. after $100.00 mail-in rebate for anyone looking in the CONUS.

Here the FT IZ is also over 300 euros.