• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help! A 'friend' broke my 111

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
A 'friend' has long admired my Pam 111 and recently asked if I could get one for him. I loaned mine to him at the weekend so he could wear it for a few days and get a feel for it.

Before lending it to him I gave him a 'driving lesson', showed him how to set the time and wind it correctly etc. I emphasised that it was most important not to over-wind the watch.

So today he paid me a visit at work. "Lovely watch, I just can't get it to work" were his words.

In a nutshell he's fcuked up my watch! When I took it from him nothing was moving. First thing I did was try winding it but, straight away, I met resistance. So the first presumption I made was that he'd over wound the watch.

However, if I release the crown guard lever the watch runs smooth. When I put the lever back into place it slows down to a stop!

The watch has been ticking away nicely for ten hours now with the lever open.
When I close the lever it stops. Anyone had this problem? Easy fix or a job for Domi?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm Pamless right now! My 104 is overseas for modification and now my 111 is struggling for breath.
No man deserves to be Pamless. :(

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Yes there is one solution, Kill him!!!!!!!!!!!! I never got my watches of my wrist since i gave one to a friend to check it and he dropped it...
I am no watch expert but i think you will need to send it to some one to take a look... Lets hope he didnt make that a big damage to the movement...

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Don't know how he could have done that but the keyless screw sounds loose to me. If not tightened down, the keyless will not wind, or, like in your case just wind.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Damn Bing! Such a gracious offer only to be met with such lubricious idiocy (gotta' love that combo ;)) !! +1 on the "killing" thing if you can make it look like an accident. Buy your "friend" a few pints as they describe the events leading up to their negligence then push them in front of a speeding bus... or something, jesus... :lolcina:

waddster

I'm Pretty Popular
10/8/10
Sounds to me like you were a good friend and got him one over the past weekend. He should enjoy the rep business right from the start like everyone else. Now you just need to start shopping for a new one for you. Just say'n. :biglaugh:

BADWIN BING

30/4/10
You cannot overwind a watch so don't blame your friend for that.

Funnily enough I've let the watch wind itself down and it is now winding, running and keeping time perfectly.

When I close the crown guard lever the watch stops!

?????

Nice of you to stick up for my friend btw. ;)

murklemark

I'm Pretty Popular
28/7/10
If you leave the CG lever open and push on the crown gently, does the same thing happen. It sounds like the CG level is pushing it into the keyless and causing a problem, maybe he tried to set the time and then rammed the crown down too hard. I'm just speculating though, as usual.

BADWIN BING

30/4/10
If you leave the CG lever open and push on the crown gently, does the same thing happen. It sounds like the CG level is pushing it into the keyless and causing a problem, maybe he tried to set the time and then rammed the crown down too hard. I'm just speculating though, as usual.

To a degree yes. As soon as pressure is put on the crown by the lever it stops.

It's bugging the hell out of me.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
My thought is that while he was winding it, the crown might have unwound itself slightly from the stem. Now when you push the stem down hard with the crown guard lever, it's pushing too hard into the movement. First thing I would do is to take out the stem and crown and see if you can tighten the crown onto the stem a little. All indications to me seem to be that the stem is slightly too long.

The stem is obviously causing undue pressure on the movement some way. Another possibility is the movement has shifted and is slightly off center to the tube but that's a long shot.

If you can still wind it and set the time, I doubt it's anything to do with the keyless works.

Also, don't hate your friend. I doubt if he did anything that wouldn't have happened to anyone else. It doesn't sound serious.

BADWIN BING

30/4/10
KBH, that's helpful - thank you.

I don't hate my friend, it could be I'm looking for a scapegoat. We're still good.

murklemark

I'm Pretty Popular
28/7/10
@KBH good point about being able to wind it etc as that would be effected by a broken keyless. I'm sure it would be an easy fix for a WS.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
I don't hate my friend, it could be I'm looking for a scapegoat. We're still good.

You Limeys, always the voice of reason. Admit it, for a fraction of a second mayhem DID cross your mind... :lolcina:

I don't own a 6497 Badwin nor have I had any experience with one... yet. It's en route. I am following this thread with bated breath. The link that midasmook provided is damn good info. Rep given. :thumbsup: