• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Lume question

hottunaz

Known Member
5/10/09
Hi
I have the 177L made by H factory. As you may know, the lume is stunning on this piece. Well, at least it was for a couple of months. I have had this watch for about 3 months now and I have noticed the lume brightness has diminished considerably. So much that I don't consider it to be superlumed. Is this normal? Have you also noticed your lume is not as bright after owning the watch for a while? I assume lume won't last forever and at some point it would require a relume but I didn't expect it to be this soon...

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
It is normal that the brightness of the lume decreases over time, but 3 months is reaaaaally fast. On a gen you won't see a noticeable decrease before something like 5 years.

Do you often overcharge the lume on your watch, with strong lamps or UV light?

Anyway, for those who still thought the rep maker were using the same stuff we find in watches 10x more expensive, here is another example it isn't the case! :D

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
UV light and moisture will degrade lume intensity.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
So water boarding and interrogation will actually degrade my watch lume? I'll have to re-think my visit to Gitmo I guess. ;-)

hottunaz

Known Member
5/10/09
I hardly charge it under uv lamp but I did swim with it before. Maybe that has something to do with it...

rolly_olly

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
25/2/11
So you van actually overchage Lume? I learn something new here every day :)

Mr. Hello Operator

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/5/10
How long do you expect a super lume to last before a noticeable decrease in brightness for a watch like this normally? A year?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
You can but it would take some heavy abuse of a UV light source to do so.
UV will fade anything given time, lume included.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
How long do you expect a super lume to last before a noticeable decrease in brightness for a watch like this normally? A year?

It depends what super lume means :) If you're talking the so-called supre lume from rep dealers, no idea to be sure since we don't know what pigments they really use (and they sure don't use the expensive stuffs, even if some people would like to believe so).

On a gen, under normal use, you can expect the lume to stay quite the same for several years. Maybe 3-5 years at least before you really tells yourself it's doesn't stay strong as long as it used to.

hottunaz

Known Member
5/10/09
I guess I received a lemon since no one else is experiencing this on their H-factory PAMs...ah well, time for a lume job soon :)