• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ceramic bezel - misaligned

tangle

5/8/09
UK
Has anyone successfully aligned a GMT2c bezel, by either heating it and moving the insert or another method?

my bezel is slightly loose and easily turns 2mm anti-clockwise so alway looks misaligned.

thanks

ci1031

4/5/10
I have been able to move mine. It came misaligned; it would not line up at 12 without being between clicks. I used a blow dryer and heated it up for about a minute. Then while it was hot I held it using a towel and VERY CAREFULLY used a small jewelers screw driver in the number engravings on the insert to slowly move it into place. If it doesn't move, don't force it. It may need to be heated a bit more. I took me a few tries to get it to move far enough because it wants to move back a bit as it cools. Again, just be very careful using a screw driver in the insert; one slip and you may scratch the bezel or chip it.

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
i'd put some masking tape on the tip of the screwdriver just to be careful.

sneed12?

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/11
I prefer to take the whole watch apart to do this. Ceramic bezels are surprisingly delicate.

tangle

5/8/09
UK
thanks for all your answers, I may send thsi off to a watchmker to move as well as a service at the same time.

Keith_Jagger

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/2/11
I have been able to move mine. It came misaligned; it would not line up at 12 without being between clicks. I used a blow dryer and heated it up for about a minute. Then while it was hot I held it using a towel and VERY CAREFULLY used a small jewelers screw driver in the number engravings on the insert to slowly move it into place. If it doesn't move, don't force it. It may need to be heated a bit more. I took me a few tries to get it to move far enough because it wants to move back a bit as it cools. Again, just be very careful using a screw driver in the insert; one slip and you may scratch the bezel or chip it.

Be careful when using heat for prolonged periods of time to soften bezel adhesive. This is not good for the oils in the mechanical movement (it could dry up the lubrication or cause it to harden around the jewels) ......:thud:

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
I've re-aligned a bezel insert on a PO. I took out the movement first though. Got it really hot and then quickly put the movmement back in to line it up properly. Don't you a screwdriver tip. Use your bare fingers, or rubber gloves for protection if you must, but no screwdriver.

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
Same issue with the GMT I just got. Lines up OK, but then slips a bit. Is there a way to tighten the bezel? (I'm not a hard core modder. don't trust myself not to kill the watch, but curious)

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
You could always try floss to tighten the bezel. Thats what I did with my DSSD and Sub-C...

Same issue with the GMT I just got. Lines up OK, but then slips a bit. Is there a way to tighten the bezel? (I'm not a hard core modder. don't trust myself not to kill the watch, but curious)

Wuggy

7/5/11
California
aren't there tutorials on removal of the bezel and adjusting the 'L' spring to tighten it up. Looks like a 5 minute job. Seems like you could then finely adjust the ceramic insert while the bezel is off and not endanger the movement?

sneed12?

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/11
1) Uncase movement
2) Press out crystal (with your thumbs, it's not hard)
3) Carefully remove bezel insert (I use a razor blade, be careful not to twist it)
4) Reglue

In the immortal words of the Haynes manual, "Assembly is the reverse of removal."

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
1)
3) Carefully remove bezel insert (I use a razor blade, be careful not to twist it)
l."

I should clarify. The bezel has some play but the insert itself is firmly attached to the bezel. Did I just make my ignorance about the watch construction clear?

durisimo

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/6/11
i take off now the big problem is how i fix the scrash loll

tutorial help ask BK