• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it impolite to message a member to buy a watch they own?

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
I have been researching a particular watch in which only a handful of people own... at least an accurate version of it. Is it rude to message them to ask if I can make an offer for their watch or does that defeat the whole purpose of the WTB section?

Bronzy

I'm Pretty Popular
4/12/09
honestly I would see it as a compliment, perhaps before making an offer see if they'd be willing to part with it? I don't see a problem, but maybe I'm the minority.

Good luck!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Well I get tired of it.
To all concerned: I DO NOT WISH TO AND WILL NOT SELL MY WM9 YACHTY!
Or anything else I own. If I ever want to sell a watch I will do so in the usual manor.
Maybe that will stop someone asking a couple of times a week, sheeesh.

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
I personally wouldn't mind someone pm'ing me about buying one of my watches, even though the answer would be a polite "no".

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
I don't think so... and your about to get a PM from me Philly for my 177 that you have... :)

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09

SELL IT TO MEEE!!!

I take it as a compliment the first time, but when they PM you every couple of weeks to ask again... Yeah, it can get annoying! One guy on RG was after my Longines Diver for months, and I even went so far as to send him links of FS listings so he could buy it from someone else.

(I think he had a crush on me, and wanted to get my attention.)

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
it's not something i would do. but if you are polite and take no for an answer. i really don't see a problem. if someone asked me to sell my stuff to them and was professional i would not take offence.

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
Well I get tired of it.
Or anything else I own. If I ever want to sell a watch I will do so in the usual manor. Maybe that will stop someone asking a couple of times a week, sheeesh.

You think? ehehe. Just have to get you really drunk at the next GTG... hand of texas hold em Col?

BTW safe from me I dont like rollies :p

phillycheez

6/6/09
hmm... well, i have a feeling they have been asked before and probably plenty of times like col has been... and if he's tired of it, i am sure they are too.

alright already.. I'll sell you that gaytona... You happy now.???

:rofl:

dude, you aren't suppose to call me out like that!

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
I don't think it would be a problem, provided it was professional/respectful. Even if that was me, and I'd been getting asked a lot, I would still see it as a compliment to the watch and my selection of it.

actually I'd probably extend the offer to buy, and leave it open-ended as to if they wanted to reply. That way if they were getting annoyed with people asking, they woudn't even have to reply.

phillycheez

6/6/09
hmm...

well thank you all for the opinions and advice. It was nice to hear that it seems most people are "okay" with it. It was either build it and save money (and learn a few things!) or pay a large sum of a money for a "pre-built" by a member.

In the past 30 minutes (with the help of a certain mod) I found a few things that lean me towards sourcing the parts and getting it built.

But hey... if any of you feel like parting with their highly modified PAM 002/009a send me a PM!! :lol:

Thanks guys

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
I didn't know building it was an option. I'd build it over buy it any day! Or at least, buy it and then mod it (as opposed to having it modded for you)

phillycheez

6/6/09
I didn't know building it was an option. I'd build it over buy it any day! Or at least, buy it and then mod it (as opposed to having it modded for you)

yeah... i just have to pay for it to be built too...

I'm gonna do it!

another reason to do this was because I am on a unhealthy spending spree right now and this should slow me down. sourcing certain parts should take awhile.

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
ehhh, no big deal if done politely. Besides, how would you know if you don't ask?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Col - you wanna sell your yachty?

686cdj.jpg

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Would have no problems with that as long it doesn´t turn out to be stalking...
Up to now all PMs I recieved on watches or questions or whatever were polite and correct.