• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex LV Sub "perfect"

bravo9

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/12/10
Hi guys can anyone comment on these so called submariner perfect editions coming out?
Here's the link

http://timesshop.net/product.php?id_product=8191

and what's the difference between that and this:

http://timesshop.net/product.php?id_product=6420

aside from the difference in movement(ill be getting the asian eta anyway), is it really better from the noob subs (link #2) going around nowadays?

I'm really not expecting perfection to reps as there is no such thing, but if this is better than the noob subs then i might just jump the gun.

Any thoughts and feedback are very welcome. Thanks guys!

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Those pictures are of the same watch.

I overlaid them and the only diffference is the watermark.

bravo9

2/12/10
No difference as to crown guard and pearl and bracelet?

joegrimm

I'm Pretty Popular
27/10/10
looks like the same watch to me.. pictures used in both links are the exact same anyways.

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Not in the pictures. They are exactly the same. Its the same picture with different text over it.

Here .. . ..

8191-58057-thickbox.jpg

6420-53921-thickbox.jpg

8191-58058-thickbox.jpg

6420-53922-thickbox.jpg

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I can confirm that this exactly the same watch. Because I spent at least 3 seconds comparing them, unlike the OP.

bravo9

2/12/10
Bonesey: I did compare them
and it took me more than 10 mins Switching back and forth between the two unfortunately I'm no expert when it comes to cgs and pearls and superimposing pics as this would be my first submariner so I would take your comment a little bit offensive. I wouldnt ask if I knew the difference anyway.

Anyway I asked for actual pics for the perfect version cause maybe they just didn't bother posting pics of the so called perfect version so we'll see.
Thanks for the constructive posts!

joegrimm

I'm Pretty Popular
27/10/10
there is no perfect version. not unless you get a seriously modded one.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Bonesey: I did compare them
and it took me more than 10 mins Switching back and forth between the two unfortunately I'm no expert when it comes to cgs and pearls and superimposing pics as this would be my first submariner so I would take your comment a little bit offensive. I wouldnt ask if I knew the difference anyway.

Anyway I asked for actual pics for the perfect version cause maybe they just didn't bother posting pics of the so called perfect version so we'll see.
Thanks for the constructive posts!

Apologies if I came accross a tad more abrupt and brusk than I intended. However surely in those 10 minutes you would have noticed that the two sets of photos are indeed identical?

bravo9

2/12/10
Apology accepted mate. Well as I've noticed they did look quite the same but if one wouldn't know what a correct crown guard or pearl would look like especially to someone as inexperienced to subs like me, no length of time would be enough to spot the difference :)

Anyway I was also hoping that someone who ordered the so called perfect version would be able to chime in and tell that there is an actual difference because maybe the website just recycled the pics hehe

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
One of those cases of not being able to see the trees for the forest I imagine.

Look, the thing is it's very easy getting bogged down in the details when it comes to your first sub. The very minor points of inaccuracy are literally invisible from the wrist. Along with this you have to be practical in terms of what you can expect to achieve for the money you are willing to spend.

$70-90 - your average nooby sub. Not going to be amazing but would probably fool a lot of people when it's sitting on your wrist. Wouldn't bare close examination probably. 21j movement

$150-240 - Getting better, asian 2836 clone or perhaps a franken swiss movement. Good chances the case and bracelet will be better build quality than the cheapo version.

$300-500 - WM9 or BK territory. Excellent quality, guaranteed swiss movement, correct datewheel overlay and looking good. Should stand reasonably close, un-knowledgeable friends and relatives etc.

$1000+ - Franken territory. Base model WM9 or TW with gen crystal and/or bezel and/or dial and/or crown. Should be almost identical to gen to all but the most anal of people who carry a loupe and a micrometer to measure the case dimensions.

bravo9

2/12/10
Guess I'll be getting one around the 150-250 range and see how that goes. Thanks

Speaking of frankens, I just recently acquired a datejust 16014 case and I was wondering if I'd be able to fit a replica dial with a 2836 movement?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Yes but you should be able to get a gen dial at a reasonable price. You will need a MVT ring to adapt the ETA MVT to the watch but they can be got.

Col.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Gen datejust dials are pretty cheap. Get a set of aftermarket hands and an ETA movement and your golden. You might need a movement spacer possibly. I'm not an expert on that aspect of things.

edit: damn you trail, i was just seconds behind you ;)

bravo9

2/12/10
Any leads as to where I can get the spacer rings for the 2836-2 movement? I recall someone called stilty who makes them but I prefer a readily available one from a website or eBay so I can purchase them asap :)

Will the 2836-2 tube and stem fit the case without any adjustments?
What other modifications will it entail?
Thanks guys :)

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Yuki sells movement spacers but Stilty is your best bet, I have one of his for my soon (tm) to be assembled 1016.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
You can PM him over on rwgforum.com which also has a lot of info on creating frankens. They're franken mad over there ;)

In fact there's a hell of a lot of info about on creating a franken datejust you just need to do some searching.

bravo9

2/12/10
Will do. Thanks mate! The franken 1016 you're building is an explorer I am I right?