• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Was $200 a waste? Hmm...

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
Just got my gen integrated strap in for my gen Omega PO. Looking at it, I'm entirely unimpressed at the cost:coolness ratio. I'm more impressed with my rep Omega deployant I just got. After playing the gen deployant, I've decided to keep the rep deployant on my gen strap. I'm waiting on some gen spring bars and a Bergeon spring bar tool from Ofrei before I can put the strap on. Anyway, here's a couple pics for everyone:

P1000925.jpg

P1000923.jpg

P1000924.jpg

P1000926.jpg

P1000927.jpg

EDIT

After wearing the new strap for a couple weeks, I take back everything I said and think it's totally worth it. I love the way the strap feels, and it wears like leather. Sometimes I'm out in the heat for a while, and I'm not sweaty under the strap (main reason I didn't like rubber before). I will definitely keep the rep deployant on it though. I still can't see paying $258 for a gen one when I have two franken projects I'm trying to complete. Anyway, on to some pics!! (just for you Q5)

P1010019.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010023.jpg

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
There are a few omega, tag and chopard rep straps that are so good I don't see a point in getting the gen. Hopefully you can resell and get a little $$$ back.

boostin20

8/9/10
USA
^No, I didn't have one. I was messing with one that one of my friends has on a rep. After messing with the rep and the gen some, I don't see a reason to buy the gen for $258.

I'll keep the strap just because it was backordered everywhere I called, and I went through a lot to get it.

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
companies in general (i mean cross product; cars/cameras/electronics) make a LOT on accessories. i assume (perhaps foolishly) that watches are no different. that said nice looking strap. this is a bit different but an example. i used to work on a accessories catalog for a major car co. the markup was 50-100% at a WHOLESALE level. unreal.... and it was similar with canon/nikon/leica gear as well. in some cases you were paying 1000% production cost.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I agree, OEM straps are an utterly ridiculous price, saying that I wish there were more aftermarket that are sized to OEM strap sizes for the omega deployant, there just isn't enough available.
Speaking of rep deployants, that looks very good, can I ask where you got that one?

Just to add, in fairness I've had a couple of gen omega straps for a while....open ended version for PO similar to yours, smp olympic strap and omega gen alligator and while they are very very expensive they are superb quality, extremely durable and long lasting. No comparison between rep straps and gen, however hirsch/dimodell etc give them a good run for their money. I just wish gen straps were about 50%-60% of their actual cost then there would be no issue.

boostin20

8/9/10
USA
I agree, OEM straps are an utterly ridiculous price, saying that I wish there were more aftermarket that are sized to OEM strap sizes for the omega deployant, there just isn't enough available.
Speaking of rep deployants, that looks very good, can I ask where you got that one?

Just to add, in fairness I've had a couple of gen omega straps for a while....open ended version for PO similar to yours, smp olympic strap and omega gen alligator and while they are very very expensive they are superb quality, extremely durable and long lasting. No comparison between rep straps and gen, however hirsch/dimodell etc give them a good run for their money. I just wish gen straps were about 50%-60% of their actual cost then there would be no issue.

That's great to know your gen straps are lasting you. Oh, and I got the deployant from Angus @ Puretime.

frodostar

I'm Pretty Popular
7/10/10
personally putting a gen strap just adds that little extra bit of quality,all depending on what sort of cashflow you have, i had the planet ocean gen rubber and rep and the extra for the gen strap was worth it, also dont think your strap is available for rep so gives the watch more of a gen-ability !!!!!! nice post, good to see some gen straps as a comparison to reps.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
For the most part, I think gen bracelets and straps are better, but there are many threads where people have commented that their rep strap is excellent quality. I know that my Ploprof strap is great, and couldn't imagine wanting to spend extra for the gen version- just doesn't seem like it would be worth it as I can't imagine it being better. Deployants and clasps I can see being a different story though....

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Bump!!!!!

I would like, if you please, to see some pictures of this beauty secured to your PO. Please? Pretty please? :lol:
puss-in-boots-totally-looks-like-i-made-you-a-cookie-cat.jpg

boostin20

8/9/10
USA
Bump!!!!!

I would like, if you please, to see some pictures of this beauty secured to your PO. Please? Pretty please? :lol:
puss-in-boots-totally-looks-like-i-made-you-a-cookie-cat.jpg

LOL, ok I'll try to take some good ones with my crappy camera and post them up.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I'm getting it. I'm getting it! [BLINK]I'M GETTING IT!!![/BLINK]

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I am working on the best price. I have the deployant already inbound.