• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

re-taking the vintage crown ;) - custom watch

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
A little bit of experimentation....

movement is a skeleton 6498; arrived loose pack, cleaned oiled, lubed, serviced
case - generic case, OEM gaskets, greased. Threads cleaned up and greased

Lume is stupidly bright as I used 1g(!) on the watch - in other words a whole pot! It's 'vintage' coloured.

Dial is brushed brass which has been taken down to 240MX grade mesh. Then it has been aged in my secret ageing stuff to give it this beautiful patina, then rebrushed and re aged again.

Hands: aged, brushed, lumed.

Enjoy :) this is technically a 'gen' as it's all unbranded :D

dsc0254k.jpg

dsc0256gq.jpg

dsc0257o.jpg

dsc0262tk.jpg

dsc0268n.jpg

dsc0270p.jpg

dsc0273ta.jpg

dsc0274yw.jpg

dsc0275d.jpg

dsc0277e.jpg

dsc02622wf.jpg

dsc02632j.jpg

dsc02642e.jpg

Celt

Renowned Member
12/4/10
this movement is really nice Smidsy, congrats for this build!

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
Nuts every watch you do I have on my list to buy at some point :D lol your house must be like mine is for electronics, car bits and power tools, only for watches. NIIICE piece again. Man I looooooove this forum. So many crazy people with incredible skills and imagination. You need to patina the case though :p I have a secret formula that ages SS hehe :D

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
haha I may have to borrow your secret ;)

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
wow so nice! when will you send me one of these

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
That watch is beautiful, Smidsy! Whatever your 'secret process' for aging the dial is, I like it a helluvalot better than the stuff I'm presently using. The case is wonderful too--especially the back. What is it and where can I get one?

.......and then there's the comment about the secret process for aging stainless. Ack! You two are terrible teasers. I need to know!

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Luming those hands is a lot of fun isn't it? On my Combat Luminor with those exact same hands, I had to lume one hand five times and the other twice. I nearly gave up. Nice work!

By the way, you don't happen to know the diameter of your dial do you?

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
wow so nice! when will you send me one of these

when you ask nicely :p

That watch is beautiful, Smidsy! Whatever your 'secret process' for aging the dial is, I like it a helluvalot better than the stuff I'm presently using. The case is wonderful too--especially the back. What is it and where can I get one?

.......and then there's the comment about the secret process for aging stainless. Ack! You two are terrible teasers. I need to know!

appreciate it - you actually have a gorgeous project going on with that B&R I cant wait to see it finished

Luming those hands is a lot of fun isn't it? On my Combat Luminor with those exact same hands, I had to lume one hand five times and the other twice. I nearly gave up. Nice work!

By the way, you don't happen to know the diameter of your dial do you?

LOL the hands are a PITA but only because of the stupid clearance issues....

SmqSub

I'm Pretty Popular
29/12/10
Really nice smids :)
But I think you could improve.
How about "practicing" on my new Milsub? ;)))

Blue is the colour!

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
rofl want me to really practise on your watch :p