• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT alignment off... easy solution?

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
So before I go through the hassle of sending this into Bill I was wondering if it's possible to fix this somehow... ?

Maybe a trick when setting the 24 hour hand? Considering it's independently adjustable I don't see why I can't align it to be right on the tick marker on the hour.

It's an ETA 2893-2 with a independent settable 24 hour hand.

It is off by about 8-9 minutes...

1-GMThandoffby9minutes.jpg

2-GMThandoffby8minutes.jpg

And here it is when it is on the hour...

6-6oclock.jpg

Am I being too picky here? I paid $1,250 plus shipping for this watch and I guess it just irks me when I've seen GMT hands on $100 reps be right on the marker.

Winnie (Bills customer service rep) said, "The acceptable standard for GMT alignment is +/- 2 mins. From the picture, it looks like it is just a little off and within the standard." (at the time the only photo she had was the last photo)

When she says +/- 2 minutes she means actual minutes correct? As in being - 8/9 minutes is out of the acceptable standard?

Anyways... any ideas?

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Given the price you're entitled to be picky. How come it was so expensive, is it the holy grail of GMT reps? Regardless, I don't think 9 minutes is acceptable.

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
If it were me, I'd just set the GMT correctly on the hour and not worry about it (as long as it came back correctly each 2 hours (i.e. hit the main dial markers, or at least reasonably close).

Just my $.02

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
My goodness, for $1,200 you have paid for the right to be picky. Nine minutes is unacceptable - Send it back!!!

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
Given the price you're entitled to be picky. How come it was so expensive, is it the holy grail of GMT reps? Regardless, I don't think 9 minutes is acceptable.

I hope it's not a rep! I just find the gen forums rather stuffy. Google MKII watches.

Thanks for the replies. Ill send it in.