• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Weird problem with caseback

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
After 1 and 1/2 year of smooth service, some days ago my Breitling Skyland stopped after wearing it all the day; i manually wind it and started working again. Same thing happened a few days ago so i thought it's time for servicing it.
I took the watch to a watchsmith but he called me telling that after trying he wasen't able to unscrew the caseback!!! Now he is trying with a kind of lubrificant to see if he manage to open it but seems a difficult task.
Any suggestions? Does this happen to anybody? If the caseback can't be opened i can't service the watch and i'm afraid that soon or later it will definitely stop....
Opinions?
Thanx

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
No, i didn't try anything i just took it the the watchsmith. He said that he is using a universal key but didn't do it to unscrew. He is using this kind of oil that he put today and he is waiting till tomorrow to try again to open it........and of course i'm worried......
Thax for the input.....

PS: just to have an idea.....er....how the duct tape can be used to unscrew? Can u give me an idea?

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
so, i got back the watch from the watchsmith to try to do the tape trick; when i told the guy that i would open the caseback with the tape his answer was "hahahaha i don't think u'll manage to opn it that way "son" "!! (i'm 40).
So today i got the tape, made a small ball and in 10 seconds the watch was open. :D
I went back to the store to show the open watch and finally servicing it....the guy was really surprised and he admitted that it's never late to learn.......
Thanx 14060 for the tip ;)

Bronzy

I'm Pretty Popular
4/12/09
that's rather sad that he couldn't open it, but that you did in less than 10 seconds! Good job!

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I'm not sure I'd want him taking apart a movement if he couldn't even open it. Obviously it wasn't stuck if you did it with duct tape. Sounds incompetent to me.

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
I'm not sure I'd want him taking apart a movement if he couldn't even open it. Obviously it wasn't stuck if you did it with duct tape. Sounds incompetent to me.

it's what i thought at the beginning, but the number of rolex, breitling, cartier and more that he had there servicing spoke louder; guess he is just the kind of old style watchsmith with no idea of this kind of tips and with a universal key that didn't work or maybe he just didn't want to service to my watch but he didn't want to say NO......

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
A lot of stores just take in watches and then send them out to another watchmaker. Or the WM comes in once a week to do service. They try to keep that a secret.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
If you think the tape trick is cool, you should see my rubber ball with a pelican printed on it. That SOB will open anything.