• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

U-Boat - my gen hunting nightmare

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
I really like U-Boats. Buying a gen, however, is scary business.

I am looking at Flightdeck CAB 50 and Left Hook models, and I honestly can't tell any difference between gens and replicas.

It freaks me out.

Has anyone noticed how dead-on these U-Boat replicas are, or possibly, how saturated the gen market is with reps?

The U-boat site is of little help (purposely, as it has a "don't buy a U-boat online" disclaimer on the front page)...

Has anyone ever compared the reps with gens for tells? I will post some pics shortly at the one I am looking at. Posted as a gen from a guy with decent feedback, but the price is too low...

Vert

2/9/09
Buy from a AD and you're gold. Buying a gen on eBay would not be something I would even consider...ever.

Vert

shizm23

23/10/10
Completely agree with Vert.. well except for the "ever" part..

I'd only be willing to buy if the seller allowed either myself or a real watchsmith to open her up and check the insides a bit. Kinda like taking a used car to a mechanic to check her out..

of course then you have costs, geography concerns, etc..

Ghost282

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/10/09
Buy from a AD and you're gold. Buying a gen on eBay would not be something I would even consider...ever.

Vert

x2 Bro. I was hunting down U-Boat Gens myself and the reps are close but it's the small details that get you. I recently got myself a Gen Welder for $250 and it's nice but I still look for U-boats here and there.

One of the biggest differences is the back casing. U-Boat hasn't put out many Quartz watches and when they do it's usually a limited run. The crystal on the bottom that shows the movement is usually a good telltale sign. For instance most of the reps don't do a great job copying the metal piece that holds the movement. Most of the time I see plastic and even if it is metal it's a distinct design. You probably seen them, the metal holder with the drilled holes all the way around.

The band is a good indicator too. Most of the U-Boats do the metal on one side of the band. They don't all have them but most do. It's like the Welders only they say U-Boat.

Also take a look at the buckle/deployant. Most of the U-Boats with deployants are pretty solid looking and squared off.

The U-Boats at my local AD are very different then my old U-Boat rep. It's hard to explain but if you take a look at a Gen at an AD and compare them to even pics on Ebay you'll be able to spot the reps.

I'm not a U-Boat expert and some of the things I described might be a little off depending on the model of Gen you are looking at. In the last two years of looking for a real U-Boat Gen I would just say save your pennies and get it from an AD. Of keep researching and maybe you'll get lucky on Ebay.

GL :D

Ghost282

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/10/09
good find. I'm still waiting to find a rep 45mm U-Boat. lol Until then I got my Gen Welder to tide me over. ;)

shizm23

23/10/10
is that guy selling via ebay? let us know the link so we can all report his ass