• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What other absolute essentials?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
What other absolute essentials for working on Rolex's?

1ZGRA.jpg

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Looks good. Maybe a little tube of grease. Don´t buy the "cheap" case openers. For Rolex you don´t need a case back knife.

madcatlancelot

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/08
Which online shop were you shopping for all these? i can barely find all of these in one shop. :)

As for essentials, I think a hand puller is missing from the list, maybe silicon grease and replacement o-rings, and replacement spring bars too.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Our resident suppliers, Watchbitz.com.au

They did have a full generalized toolkit package but it's gone up to $99.50 AUSD so I decided to build my own thats more focused towards Rolex. And yes, damn hand pullers, definitely need those.

I'm not going to be doing movement work but I want to be able to completely disassemble a watch for modding purposes.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Rodico and tweezers are the other absolute essentials. You'll also need wood sticks, a soft brush, finger gloves/latex gloves, and a leather buff.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Rodico and tweezers, ok, i have powder free nytril gloves anyway as well as small soft brushes and an air blower. What are the sticks and leather buff for?

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
You need hand setters, too. Ask JMB here in the forum, he's got great ones.

Also I'd get that "strange looking" back opener with the two knobs - opens up almost everything.

Get two of the case / movement holders. You'll work with different sizes eventually.
Also tweezers, antimagnetic, and a dust blower.

Then think about oils, too. And oilers (and buy a second set because you will be luming soon, don't you)

Don't forget the hammer!

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
oh bloody hell you lot, so much for a simple rolex modding kit

Looks good. Maybe a little tube of grease. Don´t buy the "cheap" case openers. For Rolex you don´t need a case back knife.

Case back knife is good for prying bezels up isn't it? Sure i've seen that done on the gen forums.

Also, this no good?

http://watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=370

I guess i can ask JMB to send me a hand setter when he sends my 1601 case over.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
They did have a full generalized toolkit package but it's gone up to $99.50 AUSD
Um, no it hasn't. Not yet anyway. It will be having a small increse in price soon but it's still 75 bucks or so for the time being. YOU NEED TO BE REGISTERED AT THE WEBSITE TO GET RWI PRICES!

Love the new hand setter, it's da bomb! Same as my Bergeon one at a fraction of the price: http://www.watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=370

WatchBitz has a grease sponge set now, much easier than just a tub of grease. Buy the tub as well to top it up when low.
Yup, a lot of case opener sets are crap, the ones WB sells took OS a long time to find and are perfect. For those who don't know, OS travels to China and HK at least yearly to personally select the tools he sells.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I do apologies for disseminating false information then :( Will have another look at it.

No worries mate.
BTW, when it does go up in price it will have more tools in it, OS is adding a few extras which will account for most of the rise in price. It will soon include several extras that he tells me most people order along with the kit anyway.

Col.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Hmm, might wait then. My current order is up to £155 but is very tailored to what I want to be doing and which watches I will be doing it to :)

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Rodico and tweezers, ok, i have powder free nytril gloves anyway as well as small soft brushes and an air blower. What are the sticks and leather buff for?

The air blower is over rated imo. I almost never use it.

The wood sticks and the leather buff are for holding pieces. When you work on a watch, you don't hold things with your fingers, so instead you use these.

The leather buff can also be used to remove marks for dials.

You need hand setters, too. Ask JMB here in the forum, he's got great ones.

Also I'd get that "strange looking" back opener with the two knobs - opens up almost everything.

Get two of the case / movement holders. You'll work with different sizes eventually.
Also tweezers, antimagnetic, and a dust blower.

Then think about oils, too. And oilers (and buy a second set because you will be luming soon, don't you)

Don't forget the hammer!

Seems like he already has a hands setter in his selection. And as he's only looking to work on rolexes, the multi-prong caseback is not requiered.

+1 on multiple movement holders.

Oilers/oil/one dip/... is only requiered if you plan on servicing movements.

You'll need a hands remover. And even if 90% of Alan's products are very good, I would go for a swiss branded one here (bergeon, horotec, ...).

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Thanks for the input Wiz. You know what would be a lot easier? Take your workbench, package it all up nice and neat and safely and then send it on over. That would sort me out :D

(seriously though i would kill for your workbench and setup)

Basically what I'm looking for is enough kit to safely break down a watch so that i can age the dial/hands, age and shape the case etc and age the bezel. That would probably be about it. I need to practice on the $98 special vintages before i go any further

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
To rework a case you also need a set of files (there is a great one on watchbitz) and various sandpapers. A dremel-like tool would also be a plus.

About aging an insert, it depends on the insert. For example, some will only requier a bleach bath while others will be way more difficult to fade.

About aging hands, I've been told wood stain works fine.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Here's a question, is the lume on dials and hands porous? ie would a very thin solution 'soak' into the lume material? Or is it a sealed compound once it's dried?

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Not sure what you mean. The lume pigments are mixed with a binder that is a kind of varnish.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Ah ok, so you're only options of 'ageing' lume is either to do it at the application stage or with a matt/gloss solution on top.

I have a lot of water based solutions of varying colour and strength from an old hobby and was wondering if these could be used. Might have to do some experimentation I think. Anyway, it's all just talk until I buy some kit.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
There are 2 types of vintaging. The first one is to add some beige powder to the mix, and the second is to apply a dark stain onto the dry lume to make it look like rust marks.